Sponsored by:

DIY IPD Plenum install! Going crazy

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 10:23 PM
Maxr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY IPD Plenum install! Going crazy

I'm sure there's someone here who has installed the plenum on their own and maybe there's even some instruction somewhere on the forum. I can't find it so if there's install info out there I'd appreciate the link.
I bought and tried to install it myself and boy, was I in over my head. I got as far as removing the throttle body, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to get the old one out.
It almost seems to me like it needs to be accessed from the back for some screws.
I'm at a point where I may have the dealer or my local shop do it. I like doing things myself and am pretty confident in my abilities. Just couldn't get any further than this and got frustrated and put it all back together.

Many input ?

should i just have the dealer or a shop do it?
How much have people paid for their install.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:37 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Big job. Harder than 997 from what I hear. 3 hours labor? Not something you want to screw up.

I had other work done like plugs, filters, etc. so don't have an exact $$. I believe like 3 hours.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:41 PM
daberlin
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 12 Posts

Unfortunately, I've never seen a good 997/991 DIY online. The best I've seen are a few youtube videos for a 981. Every time someone asks for advice on a plenum install, the thread turns into the debate as to the value of IPD vs. OEM. GL and sorry I can't offer up more assistance.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:29 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 856 Likes on 469 Posts

Yes....I haven't seen any DIY for this...I'd actually recommend having a shop with experience do it. If not you can run into quite a few issues and codes I am told.
Old 12-31-2016, 04:25 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 432 Posts

The MFG of the plenum didn't make a step by step install instructions?
Old 12-31-2016, 10:46 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 240 Posts

Suggest that you open an account with PIWIS TSI. For $14 you should be able to retrieve the entire schematic of the original plenum and instructions on install and removal. I checked briefly and believe you will find what you are looking for there. I didn't download the schematics and instructions but did see reference to throttle body, X51 etc.

Good luck.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:50 AM
FloridaMarco
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i just had the IBD installed in my Targa. The Porsche dealer charged $580 for labor.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:20 AM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
Suggest that you open an account with PIWIS TSI. For $14 you should be able to retrieve the entire schematic of the original plenum and instructions on install and removal. I checked briefly and believe you will find what you are looking for there. I didn't download the schematics and instructions but did see reference to throttle body, X51 etc.

Good luck.
You are referring to WM "244219 Removing and installing throttle housing" I guess, but you aren't going to find any "schematics". The removal and install procedure is quite simple once you get to the TB itself behind the air box.... There are only 4 M6 screws, a seal and cable to release.

To the OP, a bit confused by your comments.... You say
Originally Posted by Maxr
... I got as far as removing the throttle body, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to get the old one out.
It almost seems to me like it needs to be accessed from the back for some screws.
So you were able to remove the M6 screws, release the cable that is attached to the TB housing, and remove the seal connection to the resonance tube? But the TB won't move, or is loose but you can't pull it out of engine bay? What screws are you referring-to accessing from the back of the TB??? Or am I misunderstanding your question? Oh, and for reference here is an illustration from the WM.

Last edited by plenum; 12-31-2016 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:31 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

^^ leave it to a guy with the name Plenum to help

You have the right guy on the ship here!
Old 12-31-2016, 11:44 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
^^ leave it to a guy with the name Plenum to help

You have the right guy on the ship here!
agreed...!
Old 12-31-2016, 11:54 AM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Thanks Guys! But not sure we've answered the OPs question entirely. The TB should be easy to remove, to get to the rest of the air-intake assembly behind it.... But the question as to which is hard to remove is not clear to me. SO, maybe more information will help! LOL

Also for reference, the WM for removing the Air Distributor is "WM 244619 Removing and installing intake-air distributor." Of course this is a follow-on to the TB removal WM.

As 991C-D suggests, you can access the WM's in the PIWIS TSI online information application, and quickly pull-up these documents. I posted a video demonstrating how to use PIWIS TSI to my YouTube channel a while back if you'd like to check that out first. Here's a link to the post.... https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9129...l#post12915294
Old 12-31-2016, 12:59 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I did 996 and 997. Nobody gave me instructions. Nobody ever said working on a Porsche was easy.
Old 12-31-2016, 03:38 PM
Maxr
Instructor

Originally Posted by plenum
Thanks Guys! But not sure we've answered the OPs question entirely. The TB should be easy to remove, to get to the rest of the air-intake assembly behind it.... But the question as to which is hard to remove is not clear to me. SO, maybe more information will help! LOL

Also for reference, the WM for removing the Air Distributor is "WM 244619 Removing and installing intake-air distributor." Of course this is a follow-on to the TB removal WM.

As 991C-D suggests, you can access the WM's in the PIWIS TSI online information application, and quickly pull-up these documents. I posted a video demonstrating how to use PIWIS TSI to my YouTube channel a while back if you'd like to check that out first. Here's a link to the post.... https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9129...l#post12915294
I removed the TB no problem as well as a number of hoses, vac lines and wiring harnesses from the plenum and around it. I found the two brackets holding it in place but couldn't find a way to remove the plenum itself. It seemed to me that the two pieces on the sides needs to be removed. Additionally there are a couple of screws on the back of the new plenum. Do those need to accessed somehow from the rear seat area?
BTW I have a cab.

I ended up up giving up and putting the car back together. If I don't get clear enough instructions on how to get it out I may just have the shop do it.
Old 12-31-2016, 04:16 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Maxr
I removed the TB no problem as well as a number of hoses, vac lines and wiring harnesses from the plenum and around it. I found the two brackets holding it in place but couldn't find a way to remove the plenum itself. It seemed to me that the two pieces on the sides needs to be removed. Additionally there are a couple of screws on the back of the new plenum. Do those need to accessed somehow from the rear seat area?
BTW I have a cab.

I ended up up giving up and putting the car back together. If I don't get clear enough instructions on how to get it out I may just have the shop do it.
Ok, makes more sense... So I would suggest you check-out the PIWIS WMs (and specifically WM 244619 Removing and installing intake-air distributor) for more detailed instructions. The air-intake distributor is held in place by (12) M6 screws, as well as a restraining strap and 6 seals. The X51 install WM provides a bit of helpful detail, but may not be exact-enough (just refers to other WM! LOL...). But this might help:

In the illustration:
1 = New intake air distributor (ASSY)
2 = Holder for wiring harness on distributor tube (pre-fitted)
3 = Holder for wiring harness on lower part of intake-air distributor (cylinder 4-6)
4 = Torx screw, M6 x 12
5 = Connection piece for vent connections (cylinder head 1-3)

I may have a copy of the WM around, but won't be able to get to finding it until tomorrow at the earliest.... If I don't see any more helpful posts by then I'll post-up what I can find. But really, you can't go wrong with spending $14 for an hour of time on PIWIS to download all the info you need. The WMs are exactly what the dealer Techs use to perform the work and code their time.

Good Luck!
Old 12-31-2016, 04:24 PM
Maxr
Instructor

Originally Posted by plenum
Ok, makes more sense... So I would suggest you check-out the PIWIS WMs (and specifically WM 244619 Removing and installing intake-air distributor) for more detailed instructions. The air-intake distributor is held in place by (12) M6 screws, as well as a restraining strap and 6 seals. The X51 install WM provides a bit of helpful detail, but may not be exact-enough (just refers to other WM! LOL...). But this might help:

In the illustration:
1 = New intake air distributor (ASSY)
2 = Holder for wiring harness on distributor tube (pre-fitted)
3 = Holder for wiring harness on lower part of intake-air distributor (cylinder 4-6)
4 = Torx screw, M6 x 12
5 = Connection piece for vent connections (cylinder head 1-3)

I may have a copy of the WM around, but won't be able to get to finding it until tomorrow at the earliest.... If I don't see any more helpful posts by then I'll post-up what I can find. But really, you can't go wrong with spending $14 for an hour of time on PIWIS to download all the info you need. The WMs are exactly what the dealer Techs use to perform the work and code their time.

Good Luck!
Thanks plenum, but looking at this illustration I don't see any feasibile way of getting to most of the screws without removing the engine.
If the work to install it costs 600 dollars, by all means, I'm going to have the shop do it.

Quick Reply: DIY IPD Plenum install! Going crazy