Vendor Announcements A place for Rennlist Sponsors to post new products, sales, and deals for members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 12:25 PM
Contadino
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DIY?

What would be the downside of buying the Dynaudio MD-102 and using the included bracket to mount it? Then just pop a Burmester grill over it. Seems that it would be $250 cheaper for just a little more work.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:54 AM
windblow
Instructor

You'd have to add capacitors to protect the tweeters, source the speaker connectors, and most of all custom fabricate the tweeter brackets to fit the cavities housing the tweeters (there's no way the Dynaudio brackets would fit). This is not an easy thing to do - tweeters need to be sunken into the brackets with a concave shape to disperse the sound, and the brackets needs to have the right height as well. Otherwise the tweeter dome would sit too high and hit against the Burmester grilles. Nick's Musicar tweeters are well worth the price!
Old 10-01-2018, 02:03 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Contadino
What would be the downside of buying the Dynaudio MD-102 and using the included bracket to mount it? Then just pop a Burmester grill over it. Seems that it would be $250 cheaper for just a little more work.
This is probably true for a lot of upgrades; If you have the skill and extra time on your hands you could probably save some money and get a similar result. That said, it just boils down to your preference – Most of the owners on here are happy to pay a couple extra bucks to support us and get a validated solution, but there's nothing wrong with going for the cheapest way out either. Like windblow mentioned though, there's a good bit involved in getting to the point of our final solution, so make sure your time involved isn't more valuable than that extra $250

-Nick
Old 11-05-2018, 04:23 PM
Stevie 77 930
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered a set of Nick's tweeters earlier this year. With Nick's kit I got the plastic Burmester grills, except I had the "extended leather" option on my dash. So they sat on the shelf for a few months while i decided what to do.......
After meeting Frank at "Exclusive Option" at Rennsport Reunion Vl, I sent my grills off for the leather covering. I had him cover over the "Burmester" script and the look perfectly matched to my dash. I installed my tweeter upgrade yesterday. While I am still playing around with settings, I definitely like the improvement !

Old 11-05-2018, 05:10 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevie 77 930
I ordered a set of Nick's tweeters earlier this year. With Nick's kit I got the plastic Burmester grills, except I had the "extended leather" option on my dash. So they sat on the shelf for a few months while i decided what to do.......
After meeting Frank at "Exclusive Option" at Rennsport Reunion Vl, I sent my grills off for the leather covering. I had him cover over the "Burmester" script and the look perfectly matched to my dash. I installed my tweeter upgrade yesterday. While I am still playing around with settings, I definitely like the improvement!
I've been waiting so long to see these – they look killer! Glad to know there's someone around that can handle this for those that are into the fine details with this upgrade. Thanks for sharing – and thanks again for the order!
Old 11-06-2018, 07:23 PM
EXCLUSIVE OPTION
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad the speaker grills met or exceeded your expectations and lovely to see them installed. The dashboard looks complete, wouldn't be the same with the plastic speaker grill unit.

Old 11-06-2018, 11:59 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

They look great, Stevie!
Old 11-07-2018, 03:22 PM
Stevie 77 930
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for your responses. I am loving the look and the sound ! Thanks to Nick and Frank
Old 02-11-2019, 01:39 AM
vincenz0
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 61 Posts

Bought a used 991.1S that had this upgrade so very happy that I found this thread about the history of the group buy. Also good reference for what it must have sounded like before the upgrade! Mine also has the center channel disconnected (previous owner told me that over coffee). I don't know about the subwoofer, I'll have to check.

However, anyone else notice that you need to crank the fader 3 or 4 towards the rear to get that "fully immersed" sound? I am also running bass +3, and treble +1, surround off, linear on.

I'm definitely no audio expert, but in the car I like feeling like I'm standing in the middle of of a concert with the sound coming from all the speakers around me.

I'll probably try to refine the settings as I listen to more music but so far that sounded pretty nice.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:37 PM
keithgreer
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I am installing mine soon. I have watched the video many times for the install. It seems that clips can often break in removing trim pieces no matter how careful you are. Has anyone had issues with the vent or ignition surround breaking clips when removing?
Old 02-11-2019, 11:57 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by keithgreer
I am installing mine soon. I have watched the video many times for the install. It seems that clips can often break in removing trim pieces no matter how careful you are. Has anyone had issues with the vent or ignition surround breaking clips when removing?
No issues at all. Maybe I was a little too gentle trying to pry the parts but you will see for yourself. Just follow the video and be careful of the clips. The wire connectors are a bit skinny, so be careful there, too. They don’t come apart easily.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:45 AM
Contadino
Advanced

Based on my previous experience with plastic parts and snaps and things in auto interiors - I would only tackle this when it was warm out and the plastic was less brittle.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:32 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by keithgreer
I ran into no problems with plastic breakage. But I worked on it in a warm garage and the car has not seen a lot of being parked in the sun. The heat and UV exposure can make the plastic more brittle. It’s an easy install and well worth it.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:50 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

Hey Nick - have not heard form you in a while. Wondering if you have anything new n the pipe for our cars.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:51 PM
Hokidachi
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Hey Nick - have not heard form you in a while. Wondering if you have anything new n the pipe for our cars.
Same here. I thought that Nick and team were working on a new upgrade for 991.2...

Quick Reply: Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade