Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT4 "Short" shifter install on 991 Carrera S

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 07:09 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 99 Posts

Just wanted to say a quick thanks to @Needsdecaf for posting this DIY. I got the shifter for Christmas and FINALLY got around to installing it today. I wanted to be sure I had a ton of time in case anything went wrong, but it went super smooth and I got it done in under two hours; and that's while stopping to reply to work emails, having my wife interrupt several times to help her with something she was doing, etc.

A couple of notes/tips:
  • My shifter (2014 Base 991.1) was secured by 4 T25 Torx screws, not T20 like the OP's instructions. The rest of the screws are all T20.
  • A few folks in other threads expressed frustration with removing the shift ****/boot. I struggled at first too, until I found another post that talked about it. The trick is to turn the plastic retaining clip 45 degrees counterclockwise, not 90 degrees. It will let you turn it 90 degrees, but that's not the correct spot (you've twisted too far) and made it impossible to remove. Once I put it at 45 degrees, it came right off.
  • The zip ties holding the wiring bundle in front and behind the shifter do not have to be cut off! Take needlenose pliers and squeeze the bottom of the clip (under the metal/hole) and it lifts straight out and can then be re-used when reassembling everything. I don't think it's possible to squeeze hard enough with your fingers, but I was able to successfully do it with normal needlenose pliers. 90 degree angle tip needlenose pliers would make this even easier. Rough MS Paint drawing using Needsdecaf's photo is below.

Easier with this type of pliers:

Glad I finally took the plunge and did the install! I can't believe this is only a $250 part. It's like the Porsche guys didn't think this would be a popular DIY mod people would do ($1000 steering wheels without the air bag? Gimme a break)

Shifts are shorter and much crisper/firm. Pretty sure this is also the shifter they use in the Carrera T (which I recently drove at PEC). It also makes it easier to make changes to the the PCM and HVAC controls when in 1st, 3rd, 5th, etc. than when the stock shifter was in place since the shifter is shorter and out of the way. The only "con" in my mind is I need to get used to 5th to 6th shifts. The old shifter was basically just a lazy downward motion. With the tighter springs on this shifter I have to mentally tell myself to apply slight pressure to the right so I don't accidentally shift into 4th instead of 6th. I'm sure it'll become natural muscle memory in short time though.

Thanks again for the awesome write-up Needsdecaf. This thread is almost 4 years old and still useful!
Old 07-21-2020, 01:08 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,604 Likes on 1,618 Posts

You're very welcome! I'm glad this thread has been useful. It's such a great mod, and don't worry, you'll get used to the 5-6 shift in no time.

Yes, this part is the same one used in the T.

You're 100% correct, you don't need to clip that zip tie. It's a little more difficult to blind release the retaining "bracket" but it does eliminate the heartache of cutting a zip tie so close to wires. So there's a plus to that.

Happy driving!
The following users liked this post:
Class5Kayaker (07-21-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 05:17 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 431 Likes on 308 Posts

best upgrade so far...this really makes the car a 10 of 10 to me.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:41 PM
marinb
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Class5Kayaker
The only "con" in my mind is I need to get used to 5th to 6th shifts. The old shifter was basically just a lazy downward motion. With the tighter springs on this shifter I have to mentally tell myself to apply slight pressure to the right so I don't accidentally shift into 4th instead of 6th. I'm sure it'll become natural muscle memory in short time though.
I did this mod, and this is definitely the con. I'm finally starting to get use to it, but I did preferred the lack of spring in the original shifter. The no-spring made shifts lazier and cleaner in my opinion. However, I am keeping this mod just because of how much I prefer the shortness of the shifter.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:48 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by marinb
I did this mod, and this is definitely the con. I'm finally starting to get use to it, but I did preferred the lack of spring in the original shifter. The no-spring made shifts lazier and cleaner in my opinion. However, I am keeping this mod just because of how much I prefer the shortness of the shifter.
I believe mechanically they are identical minus the spring and the shorter shift shaft, I am sure you can either remove the spring or just cut the shaft from the stock shifter.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:16 PM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 81 Posts

Same here. I had mine installed about 2 years ago, (per Clint Eastwood, a man has to know his limitations) and love it. Especially how it lowers the height and the tight action.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:42 PM
Restore
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I may have missed it but is there a part number for this?
Old 07-23-2020, 01:18 AM
marinb
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Restore
I may have missed it but is there a part number for this?
The following users liked this post:
Restore (07-23-2020)

Quick Reply: GT4 "Short" shifter install on 991 Carrera S