Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Planning on getting a 991 c4s. PDK or Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 12:00 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,140 Likes on 981 Posts

This topic is sooooo old. Let's talk about what the proper break-in procedure is for our cars.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:05 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradley Scott
What tires do you have on your car? I am delaying switching mine to snow tires but I believe NYC is in for an insane winter - and I might have to go ahead with the purchase.

I have a 2017 4S and was banking on the 4WD system to at least get me to the office 7 miles away in moderate snow. Naturally 6 inches and up I will take a different vehicle.
The 4WD system won't help in snow if you are running on your summer high performance tires. You'll be back in the body shop before you know it. If you plan on driving it in any kind of snow, slap some snows on it. I run Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4's and they are great.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:05 PM
eddielasvegas
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

If it'll be your DD, then PDK all the way. If not your DD, then I'd go with PDK.

I have driven manuals all my driving life (40+ years) and while I miss a MT at times, the PDK tranny if just brilliant and it more than makes up for what I miss.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Eddie

P.S. How kewl to hear from a forum member who lives in a country where the entire population is about 300,000. I talk to a work associated there every couple weeks and it always makes me smile when we discuss our two countries. Plus, how kewl is a place that has this even if it is a little cold there for my tastes?

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/iceland-br...034621471.html
Old 12-11-2016, 12:12 PM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fasttr
The 4WD system won't help in snow if you are running on your summer high performance tires. You'll be back in the body shop before you know it. If you plan on driving it in any kind of snow, slap some snows on it. I run Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4's and they are great.
Will take your advice! Thank you. Tirerack.com here I come.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:21 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
This topic is sooooo old. Let's talk about what the proper break-in procedure is for our cars.
No, let's talk about when to change the oil!

Old 12-11-2016, 12:22 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bradley Scott
Will take your advice! Thank you. Tirerack.com here I come.

Smart move.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:22 PM
sctanton52
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The wife likes MTs, her Box-S has the 6MT, as does her MX-5. However, I am a PDK man. I am fine driving the MTs, it is a bit more engaging than any AT, but the PDK is such a dang good transmission. Plus you can still always get engaged with the PDK, if you like to use your hands and brain to select the shift points.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:27 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 681 Likes on 475 Posts

If you are going to spend $120,000 USD equivalent on a car, why don't you fly to Olso or Amsterdam (around $500.00 round trip) and test drive the variants? You'll know once you've driven them both what you want. We can't really help you - its an individual choice. Iceland Air is your friend.
Old 12-11-2016, 01:28 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatandre
Well. I have always been a manual guy. I converted my BMW from auto to manual and love it.
The 991 would become a daily so I guess the PDK would be ideal and the LC is also a insane thing.
On the other hand I am afraid that the 991 is a sports car and I would be missing something it has to offer by not going manual
I'm a PDK convert now, both for performance reasons and health limitations, but based on that last comment, I'd go manual. If I had no health issues (hip and nerve problems), I'd have a manual for my DD and a PDK for my weekend ripper. I recently owned both simultaneously, and while I loved rowing the gears in the manual most of the time, I preferred the PDK when I was in the mountains driving spiritedly. PDK can get a little boring when just driving around town. Both are great though, all personal preference.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:26 PM
Fatandre
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont you just love the launch control or regret not having it on the manual?
Old 12-11-2016, 02:58 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I'd be very surprised if the PDK guys with LC have used it more than, say, 10 times on average. Could be wrong, just my guess. Interested in their responses.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:20 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,140 Likes on 981 Posts

Huh? Launch control was invented on the manual. Were you ever a kid with a manual transmission? We had a different name for it though. lol.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:45 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
I'd be very surprised if the PDK guys with LC have used it more than, say, 10 times on average. Could be wrong, just my guess. Interested in their responses.
That's a good question. I've only used it a couple of times just for grins when demoing the car for friends, and even then away from other cars so as not to scare other drivers. Even if you want to leave the line at a light fast (in the right place and time), you generally come out ahead just by flooring it, and come to think of it, its pretty rare that I even do that. Taking the time to do the launch sequence when the light turns green is a no-win since that loses time waiting for the initial rev-up. Dropping the throttle to preset the launch and bouncing off the launch-limit RPM before the light changes would typically embarrass me if I did that in a public spot.

I guess it is akin to guys with manuals revving way up and dumping the clutch at a light. I doubt very many do that and if so, very rarely. I think I did that in my last Corvette once and never in my last manual Carrera. Any manual drivers think differently?

The one place I'd actually use it in my PDK is for autocross to gain a couple of tenths. But at the last autocross in October, the guy who set up the course defeated that by setting the initial cones so the cars had to start with a tight zig-zag starting just about 25 feet in front of the launch gate. Dang... but smart in its way. I have to think he was purposely messing with those of us with launch control.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:48 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

I've never used launch control even once in any of my Porsches. Useless feature.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:50 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Definitely manual

I have a C4S manual and absolutely love it. If you have any inclination to enjoy a manual car this is the one to get

Quick Reply: Planning on getting a 991 c4s. PDK or Manual?