Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 "Connect" very confusing.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 11:01 PM
LCW
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To connect your phone as a Wifi spot, first be sure you remove the car's SIM card. Then tap on the phone's bars icon on the bottom left of the screen, then choose data connection, search networks.

I am still having a problem with this as sometimes it does not reconnect automatically when I get in the car. To make it work I need to turn the hotspot off and then on again on the iPhone.... I would be curious to hear how it works for you...
Old 12-11-2016, 09:54 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
i feel the 90 days 3GB doesnt last the full 90 days? seems smarter to add a sim to my at&t account and share my large phone data package w/ rollover versus pay 10$ for 1Gb a month

can anyone explain the steps to connect to your phones wifi?

bluetooth connected..
hotspot on.. but how do you get the pcm to connect to hotspot?
I walked into my ATT Store SIM in hand to deal with my rep and he told me that he could not add the SIM but I must go to an ATT on-line site specifically for cars and there I was able to add the SIM to my ATT plan, with Data Sharing, just don't give them a PO Box for billing!

You have to configure your Iphone as a HotSpot which means determining a PASSWORD and entering that Password into the cars system. I can't remember the exact steps but i am of the keep hitting the selections until I figure it out.
I have found that the Owners; Manual is usally correct in instructions but may be daunting with it's volume of material. I've spent a LOT of time on all this, more than I would have liked but I have most of what I want working now.
Frankly I didn;t get the PCM in my 981B but since I had no choice for the 991.2, I found that I REALLY like the system! I only use CarPlay to send my MUSIC to the car. Using Mastered for iTunes selections, the Bose works quite well if you turn OFF Bose's proprietary Audio and Turn ON Surround. -Richard
Old 12-13-2016, 07:37 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

just found out theirs:

PCM connect app
Porsche Connect App.

i thought all of this was designed for us to be on our phone LESS while driving.. now it seems you need 5 minutes on phone before driving just to connect everything up. lol..
Old 12-13-2016, 08:00 PM
sctanton52
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I spent a bit of time today playing with the systems. Plugged the iPhone in, it seemed to be happy with that. I did not have my Porsche Connect code number so I did not get far with that. I got music stuff working just fine, I listened to some favorite songs on the Burmester, and was very happy. That is mostly what I will use anyhow. I then tried SIRI, pushing the button on the end of the turn signal for 3 Secs. SIRI came up right away on the MFD, and the audio, but she did not listen to me, she seemed to have a mind of her own. If I want a female to not listen to what I have to say, I can just go home. All she wanted to do was read me my recent text messages. The conversation did not end politely, I may need to apologize to her tomorrow.

One odd thing is I think my Volvo and my 911 are having conversations that I am not aware of, perhaps I should be concerned? When I went to the Map on the Porsche, it showed I had a parked car (its words not mine) 30m to the east of where I was. Down to about the foot that is where I had parked my V60 in a parking lot to the direct east of my hanger. That is amazing, or scary, or both.

Quick Reply: 991.2 "Connect" very confusing.