Sponsored by:

Test drove 991.2 - disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016 | 05:41 PM
planet
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gary JR
I didn't get any part of the post.
Weather's cold. Some of us are putting bourbon into our eggnog at breakfast.
Old 12-03-2016 | 05:47 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

That's why Crayola has more then one color in the crayon box.
Old 12-03-2016 | 05:55 PM
budrichard
Banned

"I was disappointed. Car lack low end torque, auto mode was busy doing lotta shifting to gain speed and it made a lot of rough noises not back up by serious oomph. There was some lag off the stop light. "

I drove my 991.2 C4S about 100 miles from Wisconsin through Lake and Cook counties this morning and afternoon. Mix of Tollway, Edens and city streets, Always in Normal Mode, Stop/Start activated.
Crawling along in Arlington Heights and in Skokie city streets, the car shifted smoothly, not busy, no noises. hit the entrance ramp and without any Mode change, any velocity I wanted short of warp speed, available with a little accelerator push.
You drove a different car than I own!-Richard
Old 12-03-2016 | 07:17 PM
sctanton52
Three Wheelin'

Try a 991.2 TTS, in full on launch mode, that has SERIOUS oomph. Not flaming you at all, we all have our personal likes and dislikes. I really do hope you find what you like. If that is an NA V8/V12 then great. While I went with the TTS, I did drive the lower power versions of the 991.2, all with PDK, and found them to be just what I expected, given the HP/Torque numbers for each. They were all great fun to drive, IMHO. Good Luck.
Old 12-03-2016 | 07:28 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

I just bought a 991.2 C2S and I don't think feels like it has the increase in torque many of the youtube videos and articles would lead you to believe..many of them are like "and the pull..OMG" its not. It is better from very low RPMs to 6000 ish and its linear and predictable. When I first got in I was disappointed and as I drove it home I was like "oh this works.."

I also think its much more fun with a manual, I think the manual allows me to minimize the feel of the turbo lag..its probably all in my head though.
Old 12-03-2016 | 08:46 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by AsianBond
hi guys, i'm not saying the tiptronic is better than pdk.

i drove the normal mode, sport and sport plus.

normal mode the shift program was too economical, shift up to 5th gear by 45mph.

sport mode was a bit better. think overall the engine is lacking in oomph. i'm just not liking all these new smaller displacement engines with turbos.
Sport mode is not the key. Being in manual mode is key. Put it in sport or sport plus, then put it manual mode. If you still think it (a 3.1 second car) is slow, you might want to look into a 918 or a P1...
Old 12-03-2016 | 09:24 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Sounds like your expectations were too high or something.

The car has good torque and nice pull. It doesn't feel FAST, although objectively it really is. Maybe part of that is how comfortable the car is. The exhaust is pretty quiet.

My frame of reference is the GT4, which feels quicker - probably because it's louder and rougher and more edgy. Also no lag - there is some slight lag with the C2S.

That said, I like the motor and platform. I've been considering a .2 GTS when it comes out.
Old 12-03-2016 | 09:58 PM
AsianBond
Rennlist Member

correct, i was expecting a flawless super smooth car.

need to try the manual car to really get the feel of this engine.

Last edited by AsianBond; 12-03-2016 at 11:32 PM.
Old 12-04-2016 | 12:51 AM
mmaturo
Racer

Originally Posted by mac10
I do not currently own a 991.2 but have driven 2 manuals and 3 PDK versions and they were nothing short of brilliant(especially in PDK) and I'm coming from a tuned V10 Audi R8. Not sure if the car was having a bad day or maybe the right mode was not selected? Between the countless seriously amazing reviews and articles to my own experiences I am scratching my head on this one..

My hunch is that with a tune, the new S models will have more torque than my R8.

Corvette?? I've had two-great cars, but the interiors are still not up to par with the Germans. Since that's where you spend 99% of your time when you own a nice ride you can have the corvette and the savings.
I will politely disagree with a 991.2 even if it does with a tune get more torque would have better responsiveness/smoothness than your V10 (the engine not the trans)but I guess its a different experience I like (yes the pdk is better than my GTs R-tronic any day in most Porsches though my car has the stumble issue though better with last few fixes attempted so I cant say I love it here but I do like the dual clutches in my other Audis) but the engine is fantastic in the 8...my R8 is vastly faster than my 991.1C2S and having test driven a 991.2 back to back with my 8 and my C2S I will still take the 8 no doubt,,, only the 570S is making me sometimes flinch away from it or the new plus is growing on me. The .2 finally gets more midrange but my Audi pulls way stronger with less effort. Now would I trade my 991.1 for a 991.2 right now if I could do it without the big $$ hit...yup without a second thought...it is much better feeling than the .1 that it would eliminate the things I do not like about my .1. Then go drive an RS7 and rethink it all...still regretting trading it in. That's an amazing power train.
Old 12-04-2016 | 01:44 AM
R_Rated
Banned

This thread brought to you by under a bridge.

Last edited by R_Rated; 12-04-2016 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-04-2016 | 03:25 AM
AsianBond
Rennlist Member

i realized all these publish hp and torque figures are misleading, what's more important is seat of the pants impression, nothing can beat n/a and cubic inches.
Old 12-04-2016 | 05:05 AM
randr
Banned

I know Hong Kong quite well - where were you driving the car in order to assess its merits.

If you want to see how quick it really is simply put it in sport plus and push your foot all the way to the floor (aggressively)

I have to say I tend to agree with Budirichard and Archimedes. I personally found the 991.2C2S to be impressive.
Old 12-04-2016 | 08:59 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AsianBond
i realized all these publish hp and torque figures are misleading, what's more important is seat of the pants impression, nothing can beat n/a and cubic inches.
I get what you mean. When I drove the C2S, I expected more of a violent experience of speed. Power delivery is relatively smooth and linear (albeit with a touch of lag). That tends to understate the speed.

Ever driven a Turbo S?

Now *that* joker is FAST.
Old 12-04-2016 | 09:45 AM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

unless you live in open road country its tough in an urban city, I got pulled over a few times as I was passing someone because I was going 100 (from the 35 I was doing) it is a rocket there is very little in between.

Originally Posted by rk-d
I get what you mean. When I drove the C2S, I expected more of a violent experience of speed. Power delivery is relatively smooth and linear (albeit with a touch of lag). That tends to understate the speed.

Ever driven a Turbo S?

Now *that* joker is FAST.
Old 12-04-2016 | 12:00 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Having just sold a 997.1 turbo, I can tell you that the 997 turbo cars are wonderful but they have significant turbo lag. If this is a concern for you, then you might be disappointed there too. The driving experience in the 997 turbo is a bit like this:

Floor it... wait... wait... wait... BOOST!

It's really fun, but it can be annoying too.

Quick Reply: Test drove 991.2 - disappointed