Sponsored by:

SPASM NY

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 12:30 PM
nimprojects
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default SPASM NY

Was going to post this in the regional forum but that doesn't seem to get much traffic (no pun intended).

I know there's a million SPASM threads already, I've searched and read all of them, lots of positive comments about SPASM on the 991.2, but only a handful from people in and around NYC.

My C4S build in in V200, but I can't stop thinking about SPASM. Anyone regret getting SPASM in NYC with our less than stellar roads and other obstacles? How's the ride? I know the front lip is easily replaceable but I don't want to keep clipping it and don't want to deal with front axle lift.

Sorry to start another SPASM thread, but would love to hear from anyone in the area. Thanks
Old 12-02-2016, 01:29 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get it. SPASM greatly improves the stance. The roads here are so bad, the SPASM won't make or break anything. The front spoiler is easily replaceable if need be.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:31 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 429 Posts

Being fortunate to live in TN where the back roads are terrorized by a particular 991.1 equipped with PDCC w/SPASM it's a fantastic ride.

If most of your driving is going to be streets of the big city you might want more wheel travel for your urban obstacles. The PASM system should be enough to enhance the ride if you find some empty highways.

I really like the lowered look (using OEM components) over stock so it's SPASM all the way for me.

Which ever you choose it's going to be a fantastic ride. Enjoy.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:42 PM
nimprojects
Racer

Thanks for the replies

Car won't be a daily driver in the city (I live in Brooklyn). Purely for fun, getting out of the city on the weekends, occasional long road trips etc.

Yeah. The stance is part of it for me. Thinking it'll look great with the wider hips of the 4S. Are the wheels also pushed out further (5mm?) as well the ride height being 10mm lower?

I'm going to try and take a look at a C4S with SPASM later today.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:46 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

I think you'll be sorry if you don't get it, but that's just me. I'd also do PDCC, as it improves the ride a bit in a straight line on a SPASM car.

However, if stance matters to you, DO NOT go look at a SPASM car next to a PASM car, or your decision will already be made.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:53 PM
FiveRiversGTS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have SPASM and occasionally Drive in or around the city. On the bumps slightly harsh. But overall it's okay since most of my driving is out of the city on highways or backroads, where it's definitely worth having SPASM. At $890 I feel it's one of the best value options.

I echo the sentiment that the lower car will scrape in the front but that can always be fixed easily.

Little bit difficult on steep driveways.

But then again it's a 911 so SPASM would be my choice. Unless you have a steep driveway and will be driving in the meatpacking district all the time, then I wouldn't get SPASM.

There's definitely positives and negatives.
You just have to weigh the two for your driving style. Driving on nice roads in NJ, it's 100% worth it.

This is just my opinion.
Perhaps others can chime in.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:03 PM
nimprojects
Racer

Originally Posted by FiveRiversGTS
Unless you have a steep driveway and will be driving in the meatpacking district all the time, then I wouldn't get SPASM.
No steep driveway, but I need to find a parking garage that isn't too scary if I can't get a spot in my building. No intention to drive meatpacking district — too old for that. ; )
Old 12-02-2016, 02:14 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by nimprojects
No steep driveway, but I need to find a parking garage that isn't too scary if I can't get a spot in my building. No intention to drive meatpacking district — too old for that. ; )
Only issue in NYC is finding a parking garage. I don't drive in the City as I have yet to find a garage I can get into or out of.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:17 PM
FiveRiversGTS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand your position.

Only asked because I have seen Nearly every exotic car there. If you do go there just park in front of Standard Grill. Ranges from $40-80.

I agree with Archi...
My Mom saw my GTS with SPASM when I traded in my S with PASM and the first thing she noticed and liked was the lower stance!!!

Good Luck!
Old 12-02-2016, 03:05 PM
nimprojects
Racer

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
Only issue in NYC is finding a parking garage. I don't drive in the City as I have yet to find a garage I can get into or out of.
Do you think it would be much easier without SPASM? The general consensus seems to be that you'd likely hit it anyway if it's steep. I saw a chart somewhere of max inclines for different setups and it didn't seem much worse, assuming you don't have the Sport Design front spoiler.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:06 PM
nimprojects
Racer

Originally Posted by FiveRiversGTS
My Mom saw my GTS with SPASM when I traded in my S with PASM and the first thing she noticed and liked was the lower stance!!!

Good Luck!
Well if your Mom likes it, I'm sold sounds like a cool lady.

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2016, 04:12 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

Thanks for the replies

Car won't be a daily driver in the city (I live in Brooklyn). Purely for fun, getting out of the city on the weekends, occasional long road trips etc.

Yeah. The stance is part of it for me. Thinking it'll look great with the wider hips of the 4S. Are the wheels also pushed out further (5mm?) as well the ride height being 10mm lower?

I'm going to try and take a look at a C4S with SPASM later today.
I think you got the understanding of this right, but just to make sure: the SPASM is 10mm lower than a PASM, but is a total of 20mm lower than a non-PASM.

I have a SPASM 4S. This hips at the end of the wheel wells are about 1.75 inches wider than a non-4 and I'm pretty certain the wheels are offset just about the same... so that the effective wheel inset from the edge of the fender is about the same as a non-4. And to be really nerdy: a large part of the extra width at the wheels (36mm) is explained by the additional 18mm wheel offset on each of the wide-body wheels, but there is another 8mm total width that must be in the axle/mount points somewhere since the 4 models are a total of 52mm wider.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:18 PM
nimprojects
Racer

Thanks StormRune

Yep, 10mm lower than PASM (which is standard on the 991.2 as I'm sure you know).

Thanks for the wheel offset notes… the nerdier the better!
Old 12-02-2016, 04:23 PM
bmedude
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 37 Posts

I own a 991.2 4S. During my test drive, - spasm equipped 4S, I very carefully pulled in to a parking lot and scraped(Greenwich,CT). When I put my order in, I opted out of it, the PASM looked fine to me. Now with my car,I still very occasionally scrape on a ramp, but it's nothing crazy. I find that enabling the stiffer suspension setting prevents the scrapes.

I am very happy with my decision not to get SPASM. I drive in NYC a lot and I spend a good amount of time in westchester.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:24 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

Oops, ah yes, now I remember that. I guess my mind is stuck in the 991.1 dark ages. Thank you for the polite reminder!

Quick Reply: SPASM NY