Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 used inventory low?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 06:42 PM
planet
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has all happened before, and it will all happen again.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:25 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by fuddman
Thought that about the BMW M3 V8 cars. It ain't happening.
IMO, you'll have to wait a loooooong time for appreciation.
Yeah with that use of the word appreciated I meant respected and valued, not necessarily going up in value. But hopefully going down in value a lot slower.

The V8 M3's were good cars with great engines, but I don't think M3's are anywhere close to 911's in general in terms of being viewed as desirable collectibles.

I used to be a BMW guys worked on them and drove one example for 325k miles with my dad. They were special in the late 70s early 80s but quickly became German Hondas (and I say that with all due respect being a proud Honda owner and fan).

The Shelby gt350 will go down in the books IMO as having one of the best production NA engines at anywhere remotely close to its price point. But that might not be enough to send them on a rocket ship to the front page of the Robb Report in 2040. At the end of the day, it's still just a mustang, albeit a really, really good one.

A 911 is in a different class altogether. Not just price point or production numbers, but an iconic lineage and recognizability that few cars ever made can exude. Some are better than others and not all will be "collectable" but I do think history will look kindly on 3.8 991's and their amazing NA motors. Not just because it's NA, but because of the total package being pretty special.

JMHO
Old 12-04-2016, 09:15 PM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Hahaha same could be said about lime gold w/pink interior. Super rare = profit?
The 3.4L variant weighs only twenty pounds more than the much sought after 911R driving experience, and the weight to horsepower- level combination works the best with the .1 seven speed box ( of course the 911 has 150 more horses and a special set of six -speed ratios), this all makes for a very satisfying driver-engaged motoring experience that the other consumer- available variants cannot match. The new GT3 is also now being offered with manual shift, not for absolute speed numbers reasons but for a more satisfying driver-engaged experience. In the end driving- experience will reign supreme in the model appreciation wars game. Thus, the reasoning behind the extremely -limited production 3.4L /manual shift model pick for the appreciation nod.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:18 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Key Left
If you purchased a rare variant appreciation actually occurring might surprise you. For example, a 3.4 L manual shift model. It's the lowest production variant.
Because nobody wanted it. That's unlikely to change just because time passes. There are very few Pontiac Aztecs in circulation either. Doesn't make em collectible.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:24 PM
GT325
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 113 Posts

One interesting fact the 991.1 GTS\C2S in 2015 had the highest power density NA engine of any car that year that could be configured with a manual transmission.

While it is unlikely to become collectible it certainly does make it a pretty awesome drivers car that is likely to remain an interesting 911 variant. Perhaps will depreciate less than other variants or maybe not. Who knows.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:03 AM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Because nobody wanted it. That's unlikely to change just because time passes. There are very few Pontiac Aztecs in circulation either. Doesn't make em collectible.
And yes, the same could be said about the original Porsche Speedster, nobody wanted that cheap variant either but in the end it offered the best driving experience. Where are they now?
Old 12-05-2016, 10:58 AM
JustBud
Race Car

Received 655 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
There are very few Pontiac Aztecs in circulation either. Doesn't make em collectible.

i just spit coffee all over my computer monitor.......

Have you checked on the last NA Aztecs....... that seems to be key in collectibility
Old 12-05-2016, 11:36 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I don't believe s modern era mass produced vehicle is going to appreciate anytime soon. Wouldn't we all love to own a stock or bond that you can drive the wheels off of and return it for a profit. It ant happening!
Old 12-05-2016, 11:43 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

I'm just saying they'll hold their own. Will bottom out soon and hold steady. In 20 years, they'll still be even more desirable.

Now, take that $$ today and invest it in something worthwhile, you'll make out better in the long run. Don't buy cars betting on anything financially other than they will cost you $$, rather than make you any.

I have ZERO expectations that my car will do anything but cost me money. Insurance, maintenance, depreciation, money tied up, etc. It's a money pit. I could think of 10 better uses for that $$$.

I own it for no other reason other than I enjoy the car and driving experience. It's a hobby, passion, and entertainment.

Last edited by STG; 12-05-2016 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:04 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
I'm just saying they'll hold their own. Will bottom out soon and hold steady. In 20 years, they'll still be even more desirable.

Now, take that $$ today and invest it in something worthwhile, you'll make out better in the long run. Don't buy cars betting on anything financially other than they will cost you $$, rather than make you any.

I have ZERO expectations that my car will do anything but cost me money. Insurance, maintenance, depreciation, money tied up, etc. It's a money pit. I could think of 10 better uses for that $$$.

I own it for no other reason other than I enjoy the car and driving experience. It's a hobby, passion, and entertainment.
Truth!!!
Old 12-05-2016, 03:11 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

The 3.4L variant weighs only twenty pounds more than the much sought after 911R driving experience, and the weight to horsepower- level combination works the best with the .1 seven speed box ( of course the 911 has 150 more horses and a special set of six -speed ratios), this all makes for a very satisfying driver-engaged motoring experience that the other consumer- available variants cannot match. The new GT3 is also now being offered with manual shift, not for absolute speed numbers reasons but for a more satisfying driver-engaged experience. In the end driving- experience will reign supreme in the model appreciation wars game. Thus, the reasoning behind the extremely -limited production 3.4L /manual shift model pick for the appreciation nod.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:32 PM
malibuboy
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by STG

+1

Brilliant! You nailed it.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:11 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

And yes, the same could be said about the original Porsche Speedster, nobody wanted that cheap variant either but in the end it offered the best driving experience. Where are they now?
You're cherry picking outliers from the past and projecting them onto current models with no basis whatsoever. There are far more low volume cars that turn into planters than collectibles. The latter is the exceptional exception.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:16 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by deezmfnutz
One interesting fact the 991.1 GTS\C2S in 2015 had the highest power density NA engine of any car that year that could be configured with a manual transmission.

While it is unlikely to become collectible it certainly does make it a pretty awesome drivers car that is likely to remain an interesting 911 variant. Perhaps will depreciate less than other variants or maybe not. Who knows.
Agreed. Great driving experience. It's just when I hear someone making the 'collectible' argument it reminds of when you're watching a baseball game and the color guy tells you why so and so is awesome because he's the first guy to hit a home run from both sides of the plate in a game played under the lights on a Friday in September of a non-Olympic leap year since Guisseppe Vittone did it in 1923, which of course nobody gives a rat's *** about and it has no bearing on why the guy is good...
Old 12-05-2016, 08:40 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Really? Are these cars really that hard to find? Porsche made quite a few of them. Me thinks we are all kidding ourselves about how "rare" they even are. Heck, I've often wondered what my 4K mile '15 C4S is even worth nowadays. But if I knew the real answer I'd probably get depressed

STG is right. Just have fun with 'em !

Quick Reply: 991 used inventory low?