Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window trim in high gloss aluminum (#559)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016 | 04:11 PM
skynet
Rennlist Member

Default Window trim in high gloss aluminum (#559)

I like the look of the high gloss aluminum, gives car a classy look and also some pop.

Is this easily retrofitted?

example:

Old 11-29-2016 | 07:31 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Unfortunately, to replace the entire trim you would have to replace the rear side window! Doh! The trim is in three pieces. One that runs along the top edge of the door, the other starting at windshield pillar and ending part-way back on the rear side window, and the last piece that wraps from just above the rear side window to the edge of the door. It is this last piece which is integrated into the window assembly and you can't source that part separate from the window! The procedure to replace the window is simple enough (I wrote up the procedure in my blog.... 991 Rear Side Window Removal), but very pricey for just a cosmetic change to the car.
If you haven't considered already, take a look at having a reputable shop vinyl-wrap the trim. They can do chrome, and just about any other color under the sun for way less than it will cost you to replace the trim with OEM parts!
Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Ant68 (01-11-2021)
Old 11-30-2016 | 11:04 AM
skynet
Rennlist Member

great info, thank you plenum. I had not thought of vinyl wrap. Usually folks go the other way around and black out their chrome!
Old 11-30-2016 | 12:04 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by skynet
great info, thank you plenum. I had not thought of vinyl wrap. Usually folks go the other way around and black out their chrome!
Plastidip is an excellent solution for this. Could be a cheap way to test out the shiny 90's chrome. It doesn't look bad on the black car pictured but no way I'd want it on mine.

That's not a judgement in any way and the world would be boring if we all wanted the same thing!
Old 11-30-2016 | 02:43 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

I also think the bright work around the windows looks beautiful -- really accentuates the lines of the car. But am also deterred due to the price. If anyone tries wrapping/dipping theirs, please keep this thread updated.

Old 11-30-2016 | 02:49 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by plenum
If you haven't considered already, take a look at having a reputable shop vinyl-wrap the trim.
Just thinking about this -- if the trim around the quarter windows doesn't come off as a separate piece, would they be able to wrap those pieces? Isn't this the same reason you have to buy the complete window assembly instead of just the trim?
Old 11-30-2016 | 06:23 PM
roadrat
Pro

Originally Posted by Churchill
I also think the bright work around the windows looks beautiful -- really accentuates the lines of the car. But am also deterred due to the price. If anyone tries wrapping/dipping theirs, please keep this thread updated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ShRkAsGQNE

A$$ pics really do it for me. Chrome window trim looks good too
Old 11-30-2016 | 06:24 PM
R_Rated
Banned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ShRkAsGQNE

Reminds me of the back of my Jaguar.
Old 11-30-2016 | 07:37 PM
07CarreraS
Rennlist Member

When I ordered my car I was nervous how the trim would look in "real life" but now that I did, I'm glad I went with the bright trim. Matches well with the rims and yes it pops the outline of the car. Group photo at our local Eddie V's. Cheers!
Attached Images  
Old 12-01-2016 | 06:21 AM
Shotgun
Rennlist Member

Default Chrome Bling

Yes, there's much to be said for the "POP" factor of the chrome trim...

Ant68 (01-11-2021)
Old 12-01-2016 | 10:38 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shotgun
Yes, there's much to be said for the "POP" factor of the chrome trim...

and best when combined with a darker colored car, std chrome rear emblems AND the shiny machined/ clear-coated face of these wheels or similar vs the more commonly bought painted silver or dark wheels

Last edited by MKW; 12-01-2016 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-01-2016 | 04:36 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Just thinking about this -- if the trim around the quarter windows doesn't come off as a separate piece, would they be able to wrap those pieces? Isn't this the same reason you have to buy the complete window assembly instead of just the trim?
Actually you don't remove the trim to wrap it. A good installer "tucks" the vinyl edge with a tool so that you won't have any edges exposed to the elements. As for why Porsche incorporates the trim and rear window into a single assembly? Probably has something to do with integrity of seals around the window that they've learned from years of refining their "iconic" 911 shape!
Ant68 (01-11-2021)

Quick Reply: Window trim in high gloss aluminum (#559)