Sponsored by:

BlackVue Dash Cam Installation on Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 03:22 PM
rubenhak
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by snaphappy
Your car isn't a cabriolet, right? Mine is... I pulled the license plate light out today and I think I can fish the dashcam cable up through there, then around the convertible top and into the interior of the car. I'm going to mount the camera to the license plate screw.

The license plate light probably won't go back in all the way, once the dashcam cable runs through there, so I'll have to see if I can live with that.

I'm getting the Thinkware F100 weatherproof dashcam here: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._infrared.html
Mine is convertible as well. There is a plug behind the light which you should drill to run the wire. Make sure you use some kind of sleeve over the wire so that it doesn't get damaged on sharp edges.

Ran the wire through license plate light. Snapped the light back in. There is enough clearance for thin cable.

Also used an L shape connector instead of the straight one. Looks much better that way.
Old 08-05-2019, 03:24 PM
rubenhak
Racer

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
This is the correct Blendmount for Porsche

https://www.amazon.com/BLENDMOUNT-IN.../dp/B075DK4NLS
This looks cool. Do you have it? Does it stay snug in place?
Old 08-05-2019, 05:44 PM
smichael
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thinkware rear cam Attached via 3m sticky tape. Good when top is down only. Back view is a little high to clear the rear deck but would easily capture a rear ending . Be forewarned that installing a GPS enabled dash cam near the rear view mirror can throw off the car’s navigation as the Nav antenna in cabs is in the mirror housing. After many attempts to fix my Nav which periodically would show me driving under bodies of water, a smart svc mgr diagnosed the conflict.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:25 PM
rubenhak
Racer

Originally Posted by smichael
Thinkware rear cam Attached via 3m sticky tape. Good when top is down only. Back view is a little high to clear the rear deck but would easily capture a rear ending . Be forewarned that installing a GPS enabled dash cam near the rear view mirror can throw off the car’s navigation as the Nav antenna in cabs is in the mirror housing. After many attempts to fix my Nav which periodically would show me driving under bodies of water, a smart svc mgr diagnosed the conflict.
I hate to tell, but the rear view camera looks terrible You have a gorgeous car, but the way and the position of this camera simply doesn't match the car
Old 08-05-2019, 07:42 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,057 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by rubenhak
This looks cool. Do you have it? Does it stay snug in place?
I get mine in 3 days. I had one from them before. It was in my BMW M3 and it held a radar detector. It was as close to the bottom of the mirror as you could get it. Tons of adjustability. They are pricey. But its worth it to have CLEAN high and tight installation. This is NOT ebay junk. This is a solution that works and works well.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:43 PM
rubenhak
Racer

I get mine in 3 days. I had one from them before. It was in my BMW M3 and it held a radar detector. It was as close to the bottom of the mirror as you could get it. Tons of adjustability. They are pricey. But its worth it to have CLEAN high and tight installation. This is NOT ebay junk. This is a solution that works and works well.
I've already got mine mounted. Looks pretty clean and not visible from the drivers seat at all. I was just curious.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:49 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

I hate to tell, but the rear view camera looks terrible You have a gorgeous car, but the way and the position of this camera simply doesn't match the car

As men get older, they tend to lean towards function over form. No offense to that poster.

If I were a cab owner I would have got a dual lens camera like this.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/uniden-...?skuId=6199169

Last edited by BIGWORM; 08-05-2019 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:54 PM
rubenhak
Racer

As men get older, they tend to lean towards function over form. No offense OP.
Cant argue with that.

I hope it didn't sound offensive. At least I didn't mean that.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:38 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Cant argue with that.

I hope it didn't sound offensive. At least I didn't mean that.
I didnt think you did. And I do agree with you. It doesn't look very clean or more importantly safe. That will fling right off in an impact. I would not want that anywhere near my face mounted that way.

Quick Reply: BlackVue Dash Cam Installation on Convertible