BlackVue Dash Cam Installation on Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 02:43 AM
rubenhak
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Lightbulb BlackVue Dash Cam Installation on Convertible

Hi Everybody,

I've just ordered BlackVue DR650GW-2CH. Btw, it is currently on a last day of discount at massdrop, here is the link in case someone is interested: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/blackvu...ar-dash-camera.

Just wanted to ask if anybody had experience with the installation, pictures, etc. Would appreciate any hints.

I found some installation photos for Cayenne, but not for 991 convertible.

Thanks,
Ruben
Old 11-28-2016, 03:33 AM
satoru
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Pic is from previous install on Macan S but how installed in my GTS, made a mounting bracket with titanium sheet and Blendmount combo for front, and just a angle bent aluminum for rear that is slid in between the roof and liner.

Should post the rear but not sure how you would do on cab.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:51 AM
rubenhak
Racer

Originally Posted by satoru
Pic is from previous install on Macan S but how installed in my GTS, made a mounting bracket with titanium sheet and Blendmount combo for front, and just a angle bent aluminum for rear that is slid in between the roof and liner.

Should post the rear but not sure how you would do on cab.

Hope this helps.
May I ask, why did you use the custom bracket? Couldn't you just mount the camera on the windshield?

Also, did you have any isdues with connecting the power? Which fuse is best to use? Did you use the PowerMagic Pro?
Old 11-28-2016, 05:58 AM
satoru
Racer

Originally Posted by rubenhak
May I ask, why did you use the custom bracket? Couldn't you just mount the camera on the windshield?

Also, did you have any isdues with connecting the power? Which fuse is best to use? Did you use the PowerMagic Pro?
Was my first venture in dash-cams so did not want to do stick on...just something different

Had the add'l battery pack but did not drive enough for it to recharge. I did to the powertap in my Macan S but ended up just pluggin into existing socket in passenger footwell in GTS.
Old 11-28-2016, 05:59 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,227 Likes on 742 Posts

cannot imagine any way you will be able to install the rear camera on a cab, unless you never intend to put the top down
Old 11-28-2016, 02:16 PM
rubenhak
Racer

Originally Posted by satoru
Was my first venture in dash-cams so did not want to do stick on...just something different

Had the add'l battery pack but did not drive enough for it to recharge. I did to the powertap in my Macan S but ended up just pluggin into existing socket in passenger footwell in GTS.
You indeed managed to do something different. I guess I will go with the standard stick on approach

How much power does the camera consume? Can it drain the car battery if operational for several hours when parked?
Old 11-28-2016, 02:24 PM
rubenhak
Racer

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
cannot imagine any way you will be able to install the rear camera on a cab, unless you never intend to put the top down
Yeah, sounds like a real challenge Can it go above the license plate?
How to fish the wires there is completely different story.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:06 AM
Joenyc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am curious as well where to mount a rear camera in the Cabrio. I guess it has to be a front camera facing rear. Perhaps a rear license mont with fisheye or wide view lense?
Old 12-09-2016, 02:40 AM
rubenhak
Racer

Originally Posted by Joenyc
I am curious as well where to mount a rear camera in the Cabrio. I guess it has to be a front camera facing rear. Perhaps a rear license mont with fisheye or wide view lense?
I'm afraid camera facing rear might look weird. Not even sure that it would be functional.

Was thinking to fish a wire through tail lights all the way to the middle of license plate lights.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:24 AM
satoru
Racer

Originally Posted by rubenhak
You indeed managed to do something different. I guess I will go with the standard stick on approach

How much power does the camera consume? Can it drain the car battery if operational for several hours when parked?
As far as battery, I think it can go for more than a few days when parked and not have any battery drain. Long term tho not too sure exactly how long.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:54 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,227 Likes on 742 Posts

Pretty sure camera was intended for interior use, don't think it would be able to withstand rain or snow for very long.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:42 PM
Fenton
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just fitted a Thinkware F770 front and rear camera (temporarily) in a cabrio, the aim being to making the items easy removable without having to dismantle the car or make permanent changes to trim etc.

For the rear camera I tried mounting it on the rear parcel shelf, where the anti roll hoops pop up from. The quality of video taken from this position as opposed to being attached to the rear glass is more than adequate. I attached the camera to the shelf using a magnetic mount, thus avoiding making permanent holes etc. OK so it sits more in your line of slight sitting on the shelf but it's not that distracting on the scale of things

The challenge however ... it's easy to run and hide the wire to the back until you come to the electric wind deflector. If you don't use the deflector then its simple to just tuck the wire behind trim and connect up. If you want to use the deflector you need to avoid fouling its operation and find somewhere for the wires. The problem is that there is virtually no room to run the wires due to lack of space around the mechanisms of the deflector and the roll hoops, whilst ensuring their continued operation

I don't think this is an insurmountable problem and will take another look when I have more time, but at the moment I've mounted the rear facing camera temporarily behind the rear view mirror. This has some advantages whereby you can see both rear quarter sides of the car and your ugly mug in the camera view whilst driving The downside is that with the top and up the view through the back window is less than perfect though would still provide evidence of you being "rear-ended". Obviously with the top down the views fine.

Using the hardwiring kit with fuse taps connected to suitable empty fuse positions in the fuse box in the footwell provides the required switching between driving and parking mode for the cameras. There's an optional voltage switch off to avoid a dead battery.
Old 12-09-2016, 03:42 PM
LCW
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thank you for that report.

Has anyone experimented with a "taxi" style camera? what I mean is the front facing camera and back facing camera either next to each other or in the same unit mounted next to the rearview mirror?
Old 05-16-2017, 09:05 AM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Fenton
I've just fitted a Thinkware F770 front and rear camera (temporarily) in a cabrio, the aim being to making the items easy removable without having to dismantle the car or make permanent changes to trim etc.

For the rear camera I tried mounting it on the rear parcel shelf, where the anti roll hoops pop up from. The quality of video taken from this position as opposed to being attached to the rear glass is more than adequate. I attached the camera to the shelf using a magnetic mount, thus avoiding making permanent holes etc. OK so it sits more in your line of slight sitting on the shelf but it's not that distracting on the scale of things

The challenge however ... it's easy to run and hide the wire to the back until you come to the electric wind deflector. If you don't use the deflector then its simple to just tuck the wire behind trim and connect up. If you want to use the deflector you need to avoid fouling its operation and find somewhere for the wires. The problem is that there is virtually no room to run the wires due to lack of space around the mechanisms of the deflector and the roll hoops, whilst ensuring their continued operation

I don't think this is an insurmountable problem and will take another look when I have more time, but at the moment I've mounted the rear facing camera temporarily behind the rear view mirror. This has some advantages whereby you can see both rear quarter sides of the car and your ugly mug in the camera view whilst driving The downside is that with the top and up the view through the back window is less than perfect though would still provide evidence of you being "rear-ended". Obviously with the top down the views fine.

Using the hardwiring kit with fuse taps connected to suitable empty fuse positions in the fuse box in the footwell provides the required switching between driving and parking mode for the cameras. There's an optional voltage switch off to avoid a dead battery.
What does the video view look like with the Thinkware on the 911 windshield? Can you share any pics how you mounted the front camera?
Old 05-17-2017, 03:29 AM
rubenhak
Racer

Hi Everybody,
I finally installed the blackvue camera with Power magic pro. It's already late, so will include the photos tomorrow. The rear camera is yet to be installed. The cable reached the passenger door. Tomorrow will be wiring through the convertible roof parts.

I've noticed some issues with the Power Magic Pro. The camera turns off after just few minutes the ingition is turned off. The PMP is set on 12v cutoff setting. I checked the battery and it shows ~11.6 volts. Isn't it too low?

Quick Reply: BlackVue Dash Cam Installation on Convertible