BlackVue Dash Cam Installation on Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 10:55 AM
pashaj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rubenhak
Hi Everybody,
I finally installed the blackvue camera with Power magic pro. It's already late, so will include the photos tomorrow. The rear camera is yet to be installed. The cable reached the passenger door. Tomorrow will be wiring through the convertible roof parts.

I've noticed some issues with the Power Magic Pro. The camera turns off after just few minutes the ingition is turned off. The PMP is set on 12v cutoff setting. I checked the battery and it shows ~11.6 volts. Isn't it too low?
I discovered my PMP last night and I noted it was not on. I hit the power switch and it didn't turn on, nor when I set it to 12.5. I turned it off and back on and it worked. I played around with the settings a little and it worked. I've attached a photo of my exact setup below. Good luck.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:06 PM
rubenhak
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As promised including the photos of the install. I hid the plugs behind passenger side fuse panel.

I think in my case it is not an issue with PMP. Will take the car to the dealership on Tuesday to get the battery checked.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:25 AM
rubenhak
Racer

Finally got the rear dash camera installed. The installation was overall similar to the coupe, but the convertible top makes things slightly more challenging.

Just a few points that may be useful for other convertible owners. I used a box of candles to keep the bottom of the roof top higher. That provides some clearance to run the wires.

Had to remove the interior rear panel to run the wire. It slides towards the front of the car. You would have to pull the plastic around the seatbelt first.

Got the wire up to the piston where the hole leads to the back of the tail lights. There is a rubber plug inside and you can punch it several times with a screwdriver. With some force, the connector can be pushed through.

Here comes the fun part. Pulling the cable from behind the tail light area. I used a hook to fish the wire that was already pushed through the hole. On the other side of the wire, I made a bending to point the orientation of the hook. Makes it slightly easier to catch the wire. After you catch and pull the wire, with some force and jiggling the connector can be pulled out of the hole.

And here is the final result. I used a coaxial patch to make the connector angular.

I know that the camera is not rated for outside use, but it looks very well made, so I will give it a chance. I had a carwash today and its still working
Taped the ventilation holes. Hope it will not overheat. Thinking to 3D print a piece to cover the connector.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:38 AM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 684 Likes on 208 Posts

Wow, that's a pretty bold move using the interior-rated camera on the rear end! I would be a bit leary of the fact that the coax cable carries power from the front unit to the rear, so a failure on the rear could potentially damage the main unit as well. Anxious to hear how well this works long term. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:44 AM
rubenhak
Racer

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
Wow, that's a pretty bold move using the interior-rated camera on the rear end! I would be a bit leary of the fact that the coax cable carries power from the front unit to the rear, so a failure on the rear could potentially damage the main unit as well. Anxious to hear how well this works long term. Thanks for sharing.
Yeah, I understand that. But on the other hand, if I didn't install it would be basically a waste Will have to try my luck and see. I will update how it works in a couple of months.

I've got a separate fuse for the unit, so not worried too much.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:31 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

For others following this thread, my Power Magic seems to be working fine. Without it the car battery would drop to warning levels if left sitting for more than 2 days. I have it set for 12V and 12 hours since that is the longest time I anticipate the car being parked away from home and the battery is staying nice and healthy.

Here is another placement option that retains access to the switches if you install on the driver's side. It turns out it wedges perfectly into the recess just above the dead pedal with no need for screws or adhesive. Although in the photo it looks like your toes might hit the switch, it is farther back than the dead pedal and won't be accidentally kicked.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:25 PM
Terence Ooi
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camera mounting

Originally Posted by satoru
Pic is from previous install on Macan S but how installed in my GTS, made a mounting bracket with titanium sheet and Blendmount combo for front, and just a angle bent aluminum for rear that is slid in between the roof and liner.

Should post the rear but not sure how you would do on cab.

Hope this helps.
Hi, may i enquire where did u get the custom made mounting from? Thank u!
Old 08-22-2017, 07:50 PM
Joenyc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I understand that. But on the other hand, if I didn't install it would be basically a waste Will have to try my luck and see. I will update how it works in a couple of months.

I've got a separate fuse for the unit, so not worried too much.
Hi looking to install the blackvue on my cabrio. How is your installation holding up?
Old 08-23-2017, 12:01 AM
rubenhak
Racer

Originally Posted by Joenyc
Hi looking to install the blackvue on my cabrio. How is your installation holding up?
Overall pretty well. There was a small mishap. Nothing serious. When installing I had decided to use an angled mcx extension cable: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MCX-male-str...-/232316681400. Two weeks ago the extension cable gets disconnected from the main cable. I tested the rear camera and it works well. Will just have to remove rear-right tail light to fish and reconnect the cables. This time will use some tape to keep the connection secure.

So far had no issue with the indoor camera outside. One more thing. I covered the vent holes with a tape.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:11 AM
snaphappy
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Overall pretty well. There was a small mishap. Nothing serious. When installing I had decided to use an angled mcx extension cable: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MCX-male-str...-/232316681400. Two weeks ago the extension cable gets disconnected from the main cable. I tested the rear camera and it works well. Will just have to remove rear-right tail light to fish and reconnect the cables. This time will use some tape to keep the connection secure.

So far had no issue with the indoor camera outside. One more thing. I covered the vent holes with a tape.
Any updates on this? Thanks!
Old 08-01-2019, 03:40 PM
rubenhak
Racer

Originally Posted by snaphappy
Any updates on this? Thanks!
Yeah, the connection worked well this time. Just make sure you use some kind of tape / zip-tie to hold the connection in place.

I had another issue with the rear view camera. Apparently it got burned. Probably because of water/moisture contact. I had to get a new rear-view camera. This time did a trick. Disassembled the camera and waterproofed the entire PCB with some solution. It did the job well. I used this particular item, but i believe there are many other options as well:
Amazon Amazon
Be generous, give it 2-3 coats. For me it works perfectly for already a year. Hope it was helpful
Old 08-01-2019, 04:54 PM
GKGEIGER
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts

I solved the rear cam install issue by using a Vantrue N2 Pro, which has both cams in one unit. Obviously the recording won't be as good as the rear mounted cam ,but 95% of my driving is topless.
Old 08-01-2019, 05:10 PM
rubenhak
Racer

Originally Posted by GKGEIGER
I solved the rear cam install issue by using a Vantrue N2 Pro, which has both cams in one unit. Obviously the recording won't be as good as the rear mounted cam ,but 95% of my driving is topless.
What I really liked about BlackVue was how it nicely hides behind the rear view mirror. When driving it does not obstruct the visibility anyhow. Buy yeah, it was a pain in the **** to run the wire all the way to the back.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:45 PM
snaphappy
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

What I really liked about BlackVue was how it nicely hides behind the rear view mirror. When driving it does not obstruct the visibility anyhow. Buy yeah, it was a pain in the **** to run the wire all the way to the back.
Your car isn't a cabriolet, right? Mine is... I pulled the license plate light out today and I think I can fish the dashcam cable up through there, then around the convertible top and into the interior of the car. I'm going to mount the camera to the license plate screw.

The license plate light probably won't go back in all the way, once the dashcam cable runs through there, so I'll have to see if I can live with that.

I'm getting the Thinkware F100 weatherproof dashcam here: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._infrared.html
Old 08-04-2019, 08:03 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,057 Likes on 532 Posts

This is the correct Blendmount for Porsche

Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: BlackVue Dash Cam Installation on Convertible