Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Car "Swirls" and Paint Correction-Ceramic Coating

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 12:54 AM
991 Dreamer
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking at the optimum no rinse. I noticed there is a wash and shine or a no rinse wash and wax product. Whip one are you guys using?
Old 11-26-2016, 04:08 AM
whiteducktail
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 991 Dreamer
Looking at the optimum no rinse. I noticed there is a wash and shine or a no rinse wash and wax product. Whip one are you guys using?
I've only used the wash and wax variant (green bottle). I'm happy with it, so I never tried the other one.
Old 11-26-2016, 04:18 AM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

I just ordered the Optimum No Rinse. I look forward to giving it a shot. The reviews look really good.
Old 11-26-2016, 12:11 PM
DocMo
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Rambler_13
I just ordered the Optimum No Rinse. I look forward to giving it a shot. The reviews look really good.
i've been using it for a year on my Agate grey 991, works great if the car is not too dirty. It takes 30 min to do the whole car excluding wheels.
It also leaves a very nice wax like shine.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:36 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
I would never own a black car again. It's been many years since I have.

There are two things you need to own, prior to owning a Porsche, especially before owning a black Porsche:

1) a home
2) a home with a garage

My opinion only.
I can add a third requirement for owning a black car: not being too ****. My last three Porsches have been black, and they all look fabulous from 3'+ distance. Of course if you get closer in the right light, superficial scratches can be seen.
Many years ago I use to spend many hours with my random orbital until the car finish was virtually perfect. Today my standards are a lot lower and the time I spend on my cars is far less. I've found that I can keep my car looking great with Griots waterless car wash and the microfiber towels designed specifically for the waterless wash.
To be fair my Porsches are garaged about 99% of the time, and I only average about 3K miles a year driving them. So it's far easier keeping a car clean under these circumstances, than someone who uses their car as a DD.
Bottom line is that my experience is that it's virtually impossible to not put superficial scratches onto a car's finish regardless of how careful you are. If scratches and swirls are bothersome to you I wouldn't get black. Silver, white or gray should be your choice. Of course the swirls and scratches are there on silver cars; it's just that they are far more difficult to detect.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:01 PM
DNorby
Racer

It's funny to hear someone say that it's harder to keep a black car clean. I think all colors would be just as dirty but obviously it's easier to see dust and so on, on a black car. My 911 is black and I just bought a used Cayenne Diesel, which is the same black color. Where I live it rains quite a bit and there is construction going on at my office complex (red clay mud and dust). Now that I have two black Porsches (I have both in a garage) I always drive the Cayenne when it rains. The biggest problem are the wheels-this is where black has the advantage (mine are not black).

My advice, just let it go, not too many people really see the dust.

Swirl marks are another issue and I think you have to be careful because you may just make thinks worse.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:02 PM
DNorby
Racer

things
Old 11-28-2016, 01:46 PM
Mpoweroo1
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Austin-Guy, if you are ever in Dallas, PM me and I will get you contact info into the best detail/paint correction guy in the state. If Dallas is too far, I also have a very good outfit in San Antonio.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:38 PM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I have used Crystal Serum Light (ceramic coating) from Gtechniq in the past with great results. For my new 991, now I want to repeat the process but this time with their normal Crystal Serum which is supposed to provide a longer protection.

I live in a very dusty city and with Crystal Serum the car stayed cleaner longer, it was easier to wash and it really looked shiny. No swirl marks..... This time I also want to apply EXO Ultra Durable Hybrid Coating on top of the serum to make it even more hydrophobic.

These products need to be applied by a good detailer.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:58 PM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by DNorby
It's funny to hear someone say that it's harder to keep a black car clean. I think all colors would be just as dirty but obviously it's easier to see dust and so on, on a black car. My 911 is black and I just bought a used Cayenne Diesel, which is the same black color. Where I live it rains quite a bit and there is construction going on at my office complex (red clay mud and dust). Now that I have two black Porsches (I have both in a garage) I always drive the Cayenne when it rains. The biggest problem are the wheels-this is where black has the advantage (mine are not black).

My advice, just let it go, not too many people really see the dust.

Swirl marks are another issue and I think you have to be careful because you may just make thinks worse.
I agree that the difficult part with black imo is not so much the dirt but the visibility of swirls and imperfections that are better hidden with other colors. My last 2 cars were white and swirls could not be seen and the paint was virtually chip free. But the dirt on white looked far worse than on my black cars. All the black road debris and soot that immediately clings to the car was much more visible.
Old 11-28-2016, 05:25 PM
Austin-Guy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mpoweroo1
Austin-Guy, if you are ever in Dallas, PM me and I will get you contact info into the best detail/paint correction guy in the state. If Dallas is too far, I also have a very good outfit in San Antonio.
Thanks for the offer. Dallas is a bit far, even SA is out of the way (especially with our traffic). I've found a somewhat local guy who is one of the sponsors at Cars and Coffee. He's done a number of high end cars and I even went by his shop to take a look, had a brand new white Lambo. Huracan he was in the middle of a paint correction from the factory and applying a ceramic coating. He had also just finished a ceramic coating on a brand new Mclaran LP675 dark grey that looked like a mirror.
Old 11-28-2016, 05:50 PM
Highyo
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

there are no car wash bays by you? you know with the guns and the air blower?
Old 11-29-2016, 11:17 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Anyone knows if applying the ceramic coating on the wheels would keep the brake dust off?
Old 11-29-2016, 11:25 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by THPorsche
Anyone knows if applying the ceramic coating on the wheels would keep the brake dust off?
Yes. A little. The bigger benefit is easier cleaning. I use the Optimum Gloss Coat once per year. It's about $60 for a 10ml syringe.

Using the Armor All Outlast as a topper is the best brake dust repellent.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:20 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Yes. A little. The bigger benefit is easier cleaning. I use the Optimum Gloss Coat once per year. It's about $60 for a 10ml syringe.

Using the Armor All Outlast as a topper is the best brake dust repellent.
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Black Car "Swirls" and Paint Correction-Ceramic Coating