Sponsored by:

Carrera 4S vs Targa 4S

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 10:12 AM
bpaxk8
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carrera 4S vs Targa 4S

As many members are sharing valuable posts to my questions, please allow me another one.

Still in the process of deciding to order or not but I was comparing last night the Targa vs the Coupé on the Porsche configuration tool.

Now my questions

1. Anyone ordered a Targa ? What is your feedback ? Any regrets ?

2. Does the huge rear window brings in hot temperature at such level that the AC cannot cope ?

3. Driving with the open top, do our ladies need to go back to the hairdresser after a ride or it remains a smooth experience

3. How reliable is the electrical system that open and close the roof ?

My idea is the mettalic white for outside, full red inside and the red roof. Would look nice - at least in my view

Thanks for your great input

Any pics welcome
Old 11-21-2016, 11:08 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,133 Likes on 682 Posts

I have one on order, so I can't answer any of your questions yet. The first thing would be to check with your dealer to see if you can get a Targa allocation. Brett Payne from Sonnen had posted a while back that there were 3 Targa 4s and 31 Targa 4Ss allocated to the US right now (if you're in the US).
As far as the top mechanism, I worried a bit as well, but there is a four year warranty on the car and I haven't noticed any bitter complaints here. The biggest drawback (to me) is the car has to be stopped to put the top up or down.
A red top is a personal choice but might not be the best for resale to the masses.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:12 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,222 Likes on 739 Posts

I don't have a Targa, but I think question #3 (the first #3) is the most important of the bunch in order to make a decision.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:16 AM
bpaxk8
Track Day

Originally Posted by Keadog
I have one on order, so I can't answer any of your questions yet. The first thing would be to check with your dealer to see if you can get a Targa allocation. Brett Payne from Sonnen had posted a while back that there were 3 Targa 4s and 31 Targa 4Ss allocated to the US right now (if you're in the US).
As far as the top mechanism, I worried a bit as well, but there is a four year warranty on the car and I haven't noticed any bitter complaints here. The biggest drawback (to me) is the car has to be stopped to put the top up or down.
A red top is a personal choice but might not be the best for resale to the masses.

Thanks

Quite interesting to see the small number of Targa reserved for USA while this market is probably the biggest one for Porsche. !

I have an appointment with my dealer on Wednesday morning and will check Targa availability and share on this forum the answer. FYI I am in Switzerland and not in US so allocation might be different.

The point for the red rood is well accepted but... too bad if I would loose a bit on the resale value after 4-5 years. Would rather prefer to take what I like vs trying to save a few bucks on the resale. Same point for the red interior.

We live only once
Old 11-21-2016, 11:35 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,133 Likes on 682 Posts

Originally Posted by bpaxk8
Thanks

Quite interesting to see the small number of Targa reserved for USA while this market is probably the biggest one for Porsche. !

I have an appointment with my dealer on Wednesday morning and will check Targa availability and share on this forum the answer. FYI I am in Switzerland and not in US so allocation might be different.

The point for the red rood is well accepted but... too bad if I would loose a bit on the resale value after 4-5 years. Would rather prefer to take what I like vs trying to save a few bucks on the resale. Same point for the red interior.

We live only once
Absolutely you should always get what you want! My car is going to be Viper Green.
I have read Targas are only about 10% of production. It makes sense if you think it's not a full cab (totally open motoring) and it's not a coupe (for track oriented folks). So, it's sort of a GT cruiser stuck in the middle of two worlds that only comes in a "4". I had two Boxsters and wanted less fabric top to deal with but like the ability to have at least a semi-open ride when weather permits. Not worried about track or track times, but with the roll bar I can do PCA DE events if I like. So, seemed like a reasonable compromise for me.
Good luck!
Old 11-21-2016, 11:49 AM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

Love it. Absolutely no regrets.

2. Does the huge rear window brings in hot temperature at such level that the AC cannot cope ?
No different than a coupe in this regard. AC has no issues keeping the interior cool in very hot outside temps with top up.

3. Driving with the open top, do our ladies need to go back to the hairdresser after a ride or it remains a smooth experience
  • Around town, top down, windows down/or up....no issues.
  • Highway speeds, top down, windows down, her hair will be tossed a bit, but nothing crazy.
  • Highway speeds, top down, windows up, just a little hair tossing, but she'll still look good when she gets there (assuming she looked good when she started ).
3. How reliable is the electrical system that open and close the roof?
Mine's a 2014. No issues at all so far.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:23 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

ZERO REGRETS. The Targa is an INCREDIBLE machine. It's an awesome GT cruiser with more than enough sportiness for the streets.

HVAC handles the rear window more than fine.

3. Driving with the open top, do our ladies need to go back to the hairdresser after a ride or it remains a smooth experience.

Not at local speeds, but at highway speeds yes. Small price to pay though.

3. How reliable is the electrical system that open and close the roof ?

My '16 GTS Targa only recently arrived in the States and only has 1,500 miles on it. Reliable so far LOL

Here's a pic after I got it back from PPF/nano.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:25 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

PS
A neighbor in my garage has a white over red targa. It's gorgeous. My personal recommendation would be to get the whitest white possible for a clean look. However, I always hear that white is the hardest color to match if, God forbid, you're ever in an accident. Keep us posted on what you decide!
Old 11-21-2016, 01:29 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bpaxk8
My idea is the mettalic white for outside, full red inside and the red roof. Would look nice - at least in my view
I know it's not your exact spec, but my incoming Targa 4S is pretty close with Carrera metallic white and black/red interior with black roof. I am taking delivery next week:

Sorry but the digital rendered pics do nothing to show how great the CWM paint color is. You can search these forums and google for specific CWM pictures if you are at all on the fence about the color.

To answer your questions:
1. Ordered yes, feedback none yet but I did a lot of research. At the end of the day I don't care about the weight or the slight performance hit compared to a Coupe. Mine is also a manual, if I wanted to track it I would have gone for a PDK C2S, but this is a car to enjoy on the street with my wife and daughter.

The top is metal with fabric covering so when it's up it's just as good as a coupe and it does not have the blind spots the cab has (when the top is up). I like the extra safety and stiffness provided by the Targa bar for myself and my 5 year old daughter in the back seat compared to a cab.

But in the end for me it''s the look. The wrap around rear glass looks unlike any other 911 model. The C4S is more practical and cheaper, but the Targa is way better looking. I knew if I didn't get the Targa I would regret it.

2. Can't answer specifically but I don't see how AC in a modern Porsche couldn't keep up. I suppose you could always tint it if necessary. 3M has tint out now that does great thermal protection without having to get super dark black out tint. Also spec both the heated and ventilated seats to cover hot and cool weather driving with the top open!

3. Check out some reviews and youtube videos but I think it will be a very personal issue and I don't think anyone can answer it for your specific hair and lady. It all depends on how tall you are and how high your head sits. My wife and I are short so we will be well below the air stream above the windshield. She can always put it up in a pony tail or wear a hat. If you are going out on the town and her hair is fresh from the hair dresser then just leave the top closed for high speed/highway use. You've got plenty of options and options are great to have!

4. Only time will tell. I am certain it will be flawless through warranty. After that who knows, but if you can afford this car and choose to keep it then you can probably afford whatever top repairs come up after warranty without a problem. Or for peace of mind purchase an extended warranty if you plan to keep it a long time. Don't worry about tomorrow, enjoy today! (with the top down!)

My personal thoughts on the 991 Targa is you either love it or you don't.
If you don't want the best of both worlds(coupe & cab) or don't love the look of the rear canopy glass or if you plan to track your 911 then don't get the Targa. Otherwise IMHO there is nothing else like it!
Old 11-21-2016, 03:09 PM
trice9
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts

I just took delivery of my Targa (ordered in Sept), so I can't really answer your 4 questions. But, vs my prior cab, I love what the Targa gives me over the cab. Granted, I'm only 50 miles into it, but I love 1) the quietness of the cabin with the top up vs the cab, 2) the looks, top up or down; hated the look of my cab when the top was up, and 3) with top down, it's the right amount of openness without feeling like a tornado when the cab top was down at speed.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:14 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by trice9
I just took delivery of my Targa (ordered in Sept), so I can't really answer your 4 questions. But, vs my prior cab, I love what the Targa gives me over the cab. Granted, I'm only 50 miles into it, but I love 1) the quietness of the cabin with the top up vs the cab, 2) the looks, top up or down; hated the look of my cab when the top was up, and 3) with top down, it's the right amount of openness without feeling like a tornado when the cab top was down at speed.
Congrats...and welcome to the club. You will love it!!!
Old 11-21-2016, 03:43 PM
bpaxk8
Track Day

Originally Posted by trice9

Congrats 😀😀. I envy you
Enjoy your new toy!
Old 11-21-2016, 04:54 PM
PeteyDaddy
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Get the targa. Its awesome! I dd it and love it.
Attached Images  
Old 11-21-2016, 05:19 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PeteyDaddy
Get the targa. Its awesome! I dd it and love it.
That's a good deal.
50% off Shrubs and Perennials
60% off Targas

Loving those rims by the way.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:50 PM
911sccab
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

We love our Targa.

Weight difference is totally irrelevant to me too! Ordered just what we wanted and that's a thrill of a way to get a Porsche.

A/c is awesome. No worries there.

Wife has been fine... in fact her long curly hair and it's incompatiblity with convertibles is what lit our Targa fuse.

Top is fine... Smart Top mod is fun and easy.

Oh, and the manual transmission is the icing on the cake.

I'd be interested to know the take-rate on 3-pedals in Targas. I think initially the pundits thought they'd almost all be PDK cars for folks that wanted something easy to drive. I'm seeing a number with sticks spec'd by people that are all about the driving experience.

Enjoy!

Quick Reply: Carrera 4S vs Targa 4S