991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Expel & ceramic pro or Modesta which combo gives protection and wet look

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016 | 09:23 PM
Joenyc
Instructor

Default Expel & ceramic pro or Modesta which combo gives protection and wet look

So looking to protect and give that wet look, nice glossy look. I have expel and ceramic pro on my other car but curious what else is out there that gives the car shine that pop.
Old 11-20-2016 | 09:36 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Modesta BC-05 will give you an incredible gloss and luster. With Modesta, if you want to get opulent, go with BC-04 and then layer BC-05 on top. Believe it or not, you can get even crazier with other combos with Modesta too. But when I say it's opulent, I mean it will carry an opulent price as well. The coatings carry a high cost to the installer and then the application and subsequent IR curing process is time consuming too.
The following users liked this post:
pgap718 (07-31-2023)
Old 11-20-2016 | 11:04 PM
Joenyc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Detailed Designs
Modesta BC-05 will give you an incredible gloss and luster. With Modesta, if you want to get opulent, go with BC-04 and then layer BC-05 on top. Believe it or not, you can get even crazier with other combos with Modesta too. But when I say it's opulent, I mean it will carry an opulent price as well. The coatings carry a high cost to the installer and then the application and subsequent IR curing process is time consuming too.
ok but does the higher cost justify over expel/ceramic pro combo? Looking for the glass / wet shine
Old 11-21-2016 | 08:56 AM
Jbgill6535
Instructor

Have this exact combo installed on my GT Silver GTS. To be honest, I am not sold with it on this particular color and would not invest the money in Modesto if I were to do it again. Also not overall impressed with the hydrophobic qualities of Modesta 05.
Old 11-21-2016 | 03:04 PM
PolishedDetail
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Joenyc
So looking to protect and give that wet look, nice glossy look. I have expel and ceramic pro on my other car but curious what else is out there that gives the car shine that pop.
Hi, We exclusively offer Suntek and Ceramic Pro in our shop. So, I know exactly what the wet and glossy look is you want to achieve. That being said, I am obviously a advocate for Ceramic Pro haha. But, Ceramic Pro, xpel, suntek or any other film/coating combination are not the only variables you will need to achieve that crazy wet, deep look on your vehicles paint. The number one factor to the gloss of any paint finish is going to be the paint itself. It has to be free of any imperfections, marring, swirls or micro-marring to bring out the most depth and gloss. The ceramic coating will only enhance what is already there. Most vehicles coming out of our detail shop look wet before they are moved over to our ceramic coating/PPF shop. The Ceramic coating/PPF will enhance that deep gloss and shine. It will also enhance any scratches present or milky micro marring left on the surface of the clear coat.

Basically, make sure the person correcting/prepping your paint is better than the coating they install. Choose your coating based on things like longevity, chemical resistance, hardness and the capability of the company to remedy any warranty issues without passing the buck. There are alot of coating companies coming into this industry. They all offer warranties. The question is, do they all have the financial backing to cover all of these warranties?

Hope that helps
Old 11-21-2016 | 03:52 PM
gbree
Racer

Originally Posted by Jbgill6535
Have this exact combo installed on my GT Silver GTS. To be honest, I am not sold with it on this particular color and would not invest the money in Modesto if I were to do it again. Also not overall impressed with the hydrophobic qualities of Modesta 05.
To add to this, I have this combo as well and after seeing a c-quartz car, I am not impressed with the hydrophobic qualities at all.
Old 11-21-2016 | 04:20 PM
R_Rated
Banned

+1 for cquartz
Old 11-21-2016 | 05:19 PM
stevewilm
Instructor

Have a GT silver C2S coming in in January. Have been debating on the clear bra. Have read lots of horror stories about poor installations. Its my 3rd 911 and I have been pretty lucky with limited chips over the years. I don't do lots of highway driving with it.

Not sure about any great installers in my area. My dealer is in Fayetteville and they have someone they swear by. My opt for PEC delivery. Have already done the 2 day class in Birmingham, so I'm not sure I'm up for the drive from Atlanta.

Would you bother with the clear bra?
Old 11-21-2016 | 05:28 PM
dasto
Intermediate

Originally Posted by stevewilm
Have a GT silver C2S coming in in January. Have been debating on the clear bra. Have read lots of horror stories about poor installations. Its my 3rd 911 and I have been pretty lucky with limited chips over the years. I don't do lots of highway driving with it.

Not sure about any great installers in my area. My dealer is in Fayetteville and they have someone they swear by. My opt for PEC delivery. Have already done the 2 day class in Birmingham, so I'm not sure I'm up for the drive from Atlanta.

I have the same question.
Old 11-21-2016 | 05:39 PM
lyubm
Rennlist Member

Big fan of Modesta, here is shot of my car after modest treatment.
Attached Images  
Old 11-21-2016 | 05:54 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by stevewilm

If you do the clear bra, have Derek Johnson of Atlanta Protective Films do it before you return home. Just book early with him when you know you will be here. He is well worth it, as he is a perfectionist. He's done several for me, all on black cars, and they have all been flawless.
Old 11-22-2016 | 03:33 PM
Joenyc
Instructor

Nice! Wondering if anyone knows a good Installer in Orlando FLA as I will be down there for a bit.
Old 11-23-2016 | 12:03 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

In the picture below it is actually dirty!

Huge fan of Ceramic Pro.

On my previous daily driver (metallic white Audi S4) I took to the local high end car wash weekly as I have a monthly unlimited pass for the basic wash (no hot wax or triple foam polish etc) and it would come out of the car wash looking like it did after I spent 2 hours detailing it at home. Even the car wash guys couldn't get over the bead and the wet look. They called it the "Ceramic Pro Glow"

The other nice feature is that before the Ceramic Pro was applied they buffed out all the swirl marks that the car wash put in the clear coat. With the Ceramic Pro the car wash could no longer swirl the paint due to it's hardness.

Anyhow if I had the wet look after just a car wash on a white car, I think you will be impressed with Ceramic Pro.

Taking delivery of my Targa 4S next week and as soon as I get it home from PEC it will go in for XPEL and Ceramic Pro.
Old 11-23-2016 | 02:43 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

I would be interested in some comments by the pros here why so many seem to offer only one coating? I assume it's cost/profitability, but is there another reason? I've had Todd Cooperider's Kamakazi products on my last two Porsches (and did my one-summer Miata myself); the Benz dealer was closer to a Ceramic Pro installer and I wasn't that worried about it anyhow as a DD that I'll trade in a couple years. I'm not overwhelmed with the Ceramic Pro's hydrophobic properties; the Kamakazi stuff seems better for the short time I had those three cars.
Never heard of Modesta before this but the feedback here seems mixed.
Am I missing something other than inventory control and profit? I'm interested as I will need to decide what to use on my incoming Targa - which I plan (hope) to keep longer than a year.
Thanks.
Old 11-23-2016 | 10:20 PM
Joenyc
Instructor

I have expel and ceramic pro on my 15 Range Rover , midnight blue and still looks like that wet look showroom shine. Use the Rover everyday through NYC harsh 4 seasons weather. Still good two years later

Quick Reply: Expel & ceramic pro or Modesta which combo gives protection and wet look