Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power kit available in Germany (porsche website)

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016 | 02:12 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Originally Posted by rezgui.rachid
I thought Porsche is ditching the detroit show this tear.

They are.
They decided to ditch it and double the size of its exhibit in Chicago in Feb.
Old 12-27-2016 | 02:15 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Originally Posted by Cristophosphorus
What new chassis? 2018s are to remain a 991.2 afaik.

Understood.

I was getting a bit ahead of myself in so far as the new modular chassis is concerned. I did, however have a chat with my local Porsche sales guy and he hadn't heard a single "peep" about the debut of the GTS.... which I found strange since he usually is in the know.
Old 12-27-2016 | 02:22 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
Understood.

I was getting a bit ahead of myself in so far as the new modular chassis is concerned. I did, however have a chat with my local Porsche sales guy and he hadn't heard a single "peep" about the debut of the GTS.... which I found strange since he usually is in the know.
January 9th has been floating around as a date when orders can be taken, so I would think a sales agent in the know would have heard something by now.
Old 12-28-2016 | 01:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
Understood.

go back and ask him to look at the internal order system, there were a bunch of models designated as "other" back in mid November, placeholders for the GTS variants (coupe, cab, targa)...
Old 12-28-2016 | 01:07 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Keadog
Agreed. I will credit the GTSs with introducing me to 18 way seats. My BGTS had them and I discovered I really liked them in day to day use. Also convinced me I would never pay for sport exhaust - I turned it off almost all the time.
As stated above, if the package has options you would order anyhow, the savings helps quite a bit to defray the cost of the increased HP. I wouldn't want CL wheels, alcantara (non ventilated) seats or sport exhaust, so the only thing that would interest me other than the increased HP would be the 6 speed. But I never really believed they would go that far down market with the R's transmission. Darn.
GT3.2 then?
Old 12-28-2016 | 02:12 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
GT3.2 then?
If not for CL wheels and no vent seats, then maybe.
I've watched the videos on changing CL wheels a couple times and I still wonder why anyone not being paid to drive would want them - I must really be missing something secret. They look like a giant PIA.
And Porsche's ventilated seats work quite well (unlike my S550, which is an "F" there).
Old 12-28-2016 | 03:00 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've watched the videos on changing CL wheels a couple times and I still wonder why anyone not being paid to drive would want them - I must really be missing something secret. They look like a giant PIA.
Yes, PIA, and if Porsche does not offer a 5-lug option on the 991.2 GT3 then you are left with one other option to avoid them:

GT4 5-lug hubs are confirmed to fit (on the current GT3) - but then you need to buy new wheels too...
Old 12-28-2016 | 05:17 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

And Porsche's ventilated seats work quite well (unlike my S550, which is an "F" there).
+1
Old 12-28-2016 | 07:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

January 9th has been floating around as a date when orders can be taken, so I would think a sales agent in the know would have heard something by now.
I just got offered a Targa GTS allocation ... so I think...

Old 12-28-2016 | 08:13 PM
sctanton52
Three Wheelin'

I do understand the reluctance for CL, by others. The 500 ft/lbs is an issue to some. But I really like the clean look of the CL wheels, both OEM and aftermarket. Coming from a technical aviation background where all the wheels are CL, and having dealt with some really BIG torque numbers on some bigger Turboprop aircraft propeller CL nuts. The 911 CLs are really not a big issue for me. I did buy a Torque Multiplier Ratchet (about $1K) and the correct Porsche CL nut grease ($32) that I will carry onboard. The weight and size are minimal. I fully understand it is a personal choice, mine was CL, but with the tools to do it right, or aid, in the change myself. My 2-Bits.
Old 12-28-2016 | 09:28 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sctanton52
I do understand the reluctance for CL, by others. The 500 ft/lbs is an issue to some. But I really like the clean look of the CL wheels, both OEM and aftermarket. Coming from a technical aviation background where all the wheels are CL, and having dealt with some really BIG torque numbers on some bigger Turboprop aircraft propeller CL nuts. The 911 CLs are really not a big issue for me. I did buy a Torque Multiplier Ratchet (about $1K) and the correct Porsche CL nut grease ($32) that I will carry onboard. The weight and size are minimal. I fully understand it is a personal choice, mine was CL, but with the tools to do it right, or aid, in the change myself. My 2-Bits.
This ^ Plus CL wheels are so damn pretty.
Old 01-09-2017 | 01:01 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Drifting
Completely agree with you on X51 for NA engines. Completely disagree with you on X51 for turbo engines. Turbo engines change all the rules.

I expect a noticeable bump in torque for the 991.2 X51/GTS, just as there is a noticeable torque increase going from a base .2 carrera to an S, (with the same engine displacement)
I stand corrected. 10% torque bump is more than I expected
Old 01-09-2017 | 08:22 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
I stand corrected. 10% torque bump is more than I expected
Appreciate the Mea culpa.

Nice that the final answer means a lot more torque for GTS drivers.

Quick Reply: Power kit available in Germany (porsche website)