Sponsored by:

Melting Rear Windscreen rubber

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 03:07 AM
Skyfire
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7
When I spoke with a representative from Porsche Cars North America (PCNA) last November I was told they didn’t have a recall for this particular defect. I was also informed they received several complaints on the matter from Pcar owners throughout the USA. He directed me to a specific rep at the Porsche Dealer of my choice. I drove the car to the dealership, two managers inspected my car and agreed to replace the front and rear windshield, including the seals under warranty with a free loaner vehicle. Have you reached out to Porsche China Headquarters?
Thanks for your reply. I haven’t done that by myself yet, so far everything has been dealed through the dealer. Still waiting for the “appeal”, hopefully they will consider doing the right thing the keep the good reputation of Porsche.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:05 AM
See U n RearView
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you! A least we know that this is a thing...
Old 10-29-2017, 11:39 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Skyfire
Hi,

I’ve got a 2015 991 GTS and have the same issue on both front and rear windscreens. I live in Hong Kong. Dealer has been helpful so far but Porsche (China) refuses to have the windscreens and seal repaired under warranty.

For those who experienced the same problem, is there any official reply (email or letter) from Porsche NA regarding this “known” issue?

I’m trying to gather more cases and ask Porsche China why they have a different standard and quality of service from the rest of the world.

Many thanks in advance.
First of all unlike the rest of the world, we only get 2 years warranty from Porsche Hong Kong/ China for our brand new cars.

I have complained to the service manager about this issue last year. His response? Porsche used environmental friendly products that could cause the issue. There's no service memo regarding to the issue and warranty would not cover it. Anyway, I have switched to another window cleaner to clean all the windows and have been extra careful around the sealing areas.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:43 PM
Skyfire
3rd Gear

When I spoke with a representative from Porsche Cars North America (PCNA) last November I was told they didn’t have a recall for this particular defect. I was also informed they received several complaints on the matter from Pcar owners throughout the USA. He directed me to a specific rep at the Porsche Dealer of my choice. I drove the car to the dealership, two managers inspected my car and agreed to replace the front and rear windshield, including the seals under warranty with a free loaner vehicle. Have you reached out to Porsche China Headquarters?
What exactly is the black gooey stuff? Any explaination from PCNA? Is it a melted seal? Too much caulk or sealant??
Old 10-30-2017, 01:15 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Skyfire
What exactly is the black gooey stuff? Any explaination from PCNA? Is it a melted seal? Too much caulk or sealant??
The “black gooey stuff” is the rubber seal breaking down. I was also perplexed by this since my car is more of a garage queen, and I only wash and detail my car. The dealership recommended I switch to a different wash soap. What was also strange is I use my Master Blaster Blower to air dry and blow the water out of the nooks and crannies, so the water doesn’t sit on the seals for too long. I’m happy to report it’s been about one year since the issue was addressed, (windshield, rear window and seals replaced) without any recurrence. I must also add I was using the same wash soap on two other cars without any issues or windshield weatherstripping breaking down.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:42 PM
ocpop
AutoX

Default Windshield seal

Just want to add to this thread.

My detailer noticed the windshield issue few weeks ago(both front and back) on my total garage queen ‘16 911 GTS. He said he’s seen a few 911s with the same issue. I took it to my local dealer and after going back and forth with the mothership, they decided to replace both windshields. My SA told me Porsche claimed they had never encountered this issue before. In any case, it’s a clear manufacturer’s defect. I wish Porsche would man up and stop playing this coy game.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:22 AM
Kinson Lau
AutoX

I picked up my car this morning and must add the windshield and rear window were replaced flawlessly. I asked that the car not be washed, so please forgive the appearance. If you have an issue with the rubber seals breaking down around the glass it can't hurt to call your SA. In closing, Porsche does not have a recall for this problem. Next of my list, window tinting, again. Good luck.

BTW: Here are the item numbers if anyone is interested.

1. 991-541-911-06 Windshield
2. 9A7-955-609-00 Adhesive Film
3. 991-545-911-00 Rear Window
Hi, I’m changing the front windshield due to rubber melting, may I know whether the interior back view mirror needs to be detached from the old front glass and then put on to the new replacement windshield? Or the new replacement windshield would also come with the new back view mirror attached? Thanks.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:19 AM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kinson Lau

Hi, I’m changing the front windshield due to rubber melting, may I know whether the interior back view mirror needs to be detached from the old front glass and then put on to the new replacement windshield? Or the new replacement windshield would also come with the new back view mirror attached? Thanks.
Your original rear view mirror is reused.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:32 AM
Kinson Lau
AutoX

Your original rear view mirror is reused.
Thanks for your prompt reply.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:25 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 281 Posts

Just wanted to bump this as my 2014 991 50th has this issue with the rear glass seal turning to goo in the corners

I took a close look at my front windshield and no goo, only the rear glass. Did anyone else have this issue in just the rear area and the front windshield seal was ok? Can't predict the future but wanted to see if I might get lucky and my goo issue just stays confined to the rear glass, or if my front windshield is going to follow suit
Old 04-17-2019, 09:04 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Just wanted to bump this as my 2014 991 50th has this issue with the rear glass seal turning to goo in the corners

I took a close look at my front windshield and no goo, only the rear glass. Did anyone else have this issue in just the rear area and the front windshield seal was ok? Can't predict the future but wanted to see if I might get lucky and my goo issue just stays confined to the rear glass, or if my front windshield is going to follow suit
I did. Rear only. Fixed under CPO warranty. Mine is also a 2014. On the targa, it was a $800 seal part that they pulled out and snapped the new one in... no glass replacement.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:58 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Al.Fresco
I did. Rear only. Fixed under CPO warranty. Mine is also a 2014. On the targa, it was a $800 seal part that they pulled out and snapped the new one in... no glass replacement.
Thanks. To your knowledge was the issue fixed? Must have been seals they used in production and then switched from? Want to be sure if I replace the glass, that this issue won't come back and bite me again otherwise I would be tempted to just leave it as is.... just trying to cast a wide net
Old 04-18-2019, 01:05 PM
orclean1
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

Knock On Wood I have no issues with front or rear glass seals or goop. My car was blessed by the pope on the production line .

PS putting mine up for sale next week
Old 09-11-2019, 09:39 PM
RTdeeOC
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

2016 C2S bought CPO in Jan 2019. I have been following this as my rear window has the adhesive issue. Took to local dealership and has taken six weeks to get an answer. Service manager said warranty claim was denied and quoted me $10k to replace the rear glass and adhesives. He said they have never seen the problem. Getting really frustrated with this whole process. Going to take it to the dealership that sold it to me to see if they can do anything about this.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:51 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RTdeeOC
2016 C2S bought CPO in Jan 2019. I have been following this as my rear window has the adhesive issue. Took to local dealership and has taken six weeks to get an answer. Service manager said warranty claim was denied and quoted me $10k to replace the rear glass and adhesives. He said they have never seen the problem. Getting really frustrated with this whole process. Going to take it to the dealership that sold it to me to see if they can do anything about this.
I would contact PCNA and report them for quoting you an outrageous price ($10K) to replace rear glass and sealant.

Quick Reply: Melting Rear Windscreen rubber