Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Melting Rear Windscreen rubber (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/962799-melting-rear-windscreen-rubber.html)

Basims 11-15-2016 03:13 PM

Melting Rear Windscreen rubber

Hello,

I noticed while getting my car cleaned the rear windscreen rubber/sealer is melting. Have u guys ever come across this
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...087244811a.jpg

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...d1f1a3e2a4.jpg

What do suggest I do. My car is still under warranty
Thanks

sctanton52 11-15-2016 03:23 PM

Being under warranty I would take it in and have the service manager have a look. It both looks kinda ugly, and it could lead to a leak. All the various rubber seals on our cars are still in good shape, I just went out to the garage and had a close look. However, we do not have a 911 Coupe. Hope you get it sorted, maybe others will chime in with some ideas.

Porsche_nuts 11-15-2016 03:51 PM

Jeeze. Have not seen this issue, but I have heard about issues with the front windshield weatherstripping going bad. In those instances, some dealers covered it under warranty, others have given people a hard time. Definitely take to dealer and keep us posted.

go.illini 11-15-2016 06:25 PM

My first question: What cleaners, polishes, protectants are you putting on the car? Not saying that is definitely the cause but some chemicals don't play nice with gaskets and seals.

Hopefully it will be warrantied if determined to be a problem.

Basims 11-16-2016 04:02 AM

Just an update, took it to the dealer who has agreed to change the glass and sealer. He says he has had 4 cars with the same issue, and puts it down to either a manufacturing defect or the extreme heat that we had in the summer where the temp hit 55 degrees Celsius. Car is booked in for tomorrow.

Thanks guys for your input

oalvarez 11-16-2016 05:04 AM

Had mine replaced. Brand new 2016 Carrera Coupe...this issue is not new.....has been reported both on the front windshield and rear elsewhere here, but you'd have to use the search function to realize that.

My previous Carrera S (2013) the dealership wouldn't help with, my current one they decided to replace. Yes, both cars were under warranty. Yes I live in a warm weather climate but Porsche doesn't seem to want folks to know about the seal issue.

Basims 11-16-2016 05:19 AM

Thanks oalvarez you are right I just checked 2 991's in the parking building of my office and they too have the issue.

sctanton52 11-16-2016 04:12 PM

That is interesting, I would guess it would be more of a problem in hot and sunny locations. But none the less something I will keep an eye on for my new 991.2

Sidvicious7 11-16-2016 05:30 PM

I just checked my coupe and noticed the same issue for the front and rear glass. I will call my SA. Thx

oalvarez 11-17-2016 12:33 AM

I'm tellin' ya.......and like I told my service advisor.....more cars have the problem, not just a handful.....some owners simply have no idea that the problem exists or motivation to look for it unless they take care of their own cars.

Sidvicious.....thanks for posting up. ;)

waizc2s 11-17-2016 01:58 AM

Had this happen on my front (2013 c2s) and dealer replaced the windshield under cpo warranty without any hassle. My SA made it sound like he never saw this issue before. The rear has a small area with this defect but not nearly as bad a front was. Decided to live it with it instead of replacing the rear glass and having to get the window tinted again.

THPorsche 11-17-2016 11:13 PM

I have the same problem (only rear windshield) and the dealer wouldn't do anything (in Hong Kong there is only one dealer). SA said Porsche uses "environmental" friendly seal...whatever that means.

Do anyone of you use Meguiar's Clarity Car Glass Cleaner? I noticed the problem when I used it but it could be coincidental.

Sidvicious7 11-18-2016 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by THPorsche (Post 13753533)
I have the same problem (only rear windshield) and the dealer wouldn't do anything (in Hong Kong there is only one dealer). SA said Porsche uses "environmental" friendly seal...whatever that means.

Do anyone of you use Meguiar's Clarity Car Glass Cleaner? I noticed the problem when I used it but it could be coincidental.

I don't. I also live in a warm environment. My coupe is garaged and I'm the only one that washes and details my car. I also cover my car. The rubber appears to be gummy around a few areas on the top edge of the front and rear glass.

Jbgill6535 11-18-2016 07:25 AM

Same on my 16 GTS. Noticed on the rear after cleaning the glass that there would be greasy streaks. Car is hand washed only and use Stoners invisiglass or Sonax glass cleaner.

Sidvicious7 11-18-2016 07:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Jbgill6535 (Post 13753938)
Same on my 16 GTS. Noticed on the rear after cleaning the glass that there would be greasy streaks. Car is hand washed only and use Stoners invisiglass or Sonax glass cleaner.

I called my local dealer two days ago and as of this morning I did not receive a follow up call. I made a call to Porsche of North America and spoke with an agent. I was informed Porsche has no recall but I was extremely please by the support and customer service I received. The agent immediately called the dealership and put me in touch with the right person. I drove my car in and had it inspected. The SA informed me I was the second customer to report the same issue. Needless to say I have a scheduled appointment for the 28th to drop my car off and have the issue repaired under warranty, plus a loaner. I will keep you posted on the outcome.