Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

porsche battery maintainer working properly?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 06:48 PM
cyber996
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default porsche battery maintainer working properly?

What lights should be on?

when I put in the 12v it has orange lights on the car mode and half battery indicators.

when in the cig lighter it has orange for the car and green for the full battery and blinking yellow for the half battery.

​​​​​​​which one is right?
Old 11-13-2016, 06:57 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

I believe the blinking yellow is an error message. I am thinking power to your cig lighter has been interrupted and thus the error. Should be both orange until fully charged then full battery will be green.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:39 PM
Loud223
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

If you could post a pic we could help more. When my fully charged light is green the charging light blinks yellow to show maintenance setting. The error light is the diamond next to the mode button.
I can post a pic tomorrow when I check on the car.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:41 PM
Loud223
Instructor

OK below shows the Fully charged green light the yellow charging light is blinking, the mode set to car. my mistake on the error light it is the one with the exclamation sign under it. if that is lit up you have a problem.
Attached Images  
Old 11-14-2016, 01:55 PM
cyber996
Advanced

Yes that's how mine looks. That's with the cig lighter and not other 2 12v sockets.
dealers all have them connected to cig lighter too.
Old 11-15-2016, 02:54 PM
Stevie
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cyber996
Yes that's how mine looks. That's with the cig lighter and not other 2 12v sockets.
Question: I'm planning to get one of these and my Carrera doesn't have a ashtray/cig lighter. Can it be used with the other sockets? I know the one in the console is always on but don't know if it is usable for this purpose.

Thanks_Steve
Old 11-15-2016, 03:00 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Stevie
Question: I'm planning to get one of these and my Carrera doesn't have a ashtray/cig lighter. Can it be used with the other sockets? I know the one in the console is always on but don't know if it is usable for this purpose.

Thanks_Steve
Many, if not most, use the one in the passenger foot well.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:33 AM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Loud223
OK below shows the Fully charged green light the yellow charging light is blinking, the mode set to car.
Originally Posted by cyber996
I just want to add some additional info, if nothing other than to add some clarity of possible differences between the Ctek 3300 and the Porsche branded maintainer, after I was doing some additional testing with my maintainer last night.

First, I have the Ctek 3300, which is seemingly the same as the Porsche branded maintainer, but could operate slightly differently, I suppose.

On my Ctek maintainer, when battery is charging, both car and half charged indicator lamps are orange. When battery gets to full charge, the orange half battery lamp turns off (and stays off) and the full charge battery lamp turns green. No yellow blinking lights. Indicators will stay that way if vehicle is undisturbed.

If however, I were to unclip one of the maintainer leads to the battery (if hooked up directly to the battery), or if plugged into one of my cars 12v outlets and the outlet were to power down (which they do in my car after several minutes-explained more below), then the half charge indicator will blink yellow very rapidly while the green full charge indicator is glowing steady. On my Ctek, as explained in the manual, that is an error message that something is wrong.

In my 2014 Targa 4S, both the cig lighter outlet, and the passenger foot well outlet will power down after a few minutes even if the Ctek is plugged in and charging....so the Ctek will go from charging mode to an error indicator as soon as they power down. As a result, I attached a pigtail directly to the battery that I just plug into when I want to charge.

The thing that has me concerned for the OP's situation is that when plugged into his cig lighter, he seems to get the flashing yellow, but not when plugged into the other outlets. Again, the Porsche maintainer could be different than the Ctek branded maintainer, but I just toss the above info out there just in case the OP wanted to take another look.

Last edited by Al.Fresco; 11-16-2016 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-16-2016, 12:40 PM
cyber996
Advanced

This is odd because my dealer have them connected to cig lighter. Maybe new cars don't sit that long to drain the battery. But it does seem strange that they don't know how to use them correctly.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:42 PM
Loud223
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fasttr
I just want to add some additional info, if nothing other than to add some clarity of possible differences between the Ctek 3300 and the Porsche branded maintainer, after I was doing some additional testing with my maintainer last night.

First, I have the Ctek 3300, which is seemingly the same as the Porsche branded maintainer, but could operate slightly differently, I suppose.

On my Ctek maintainer, when battery is charging, both car and half charged indicator lamps are orange. When battery gets to full charge, the orange half battery lamp turns off (and stays off) and the full charge battery lamp turns green. No yellow blinking lights. Indicators will stay that way if vehicle is undisturbed.

If however, I were to unclip one of the maintainer leads to the battery (if hooked up directly to the battery), or if plugged into one of my cars 12v outlets and the outlet were to power down (which they do in my car after several minutes-explained more below), then the half charge indicator will blink yellow very rapidly while the green full charge indicator is glowing steady. On my Ctek, as explained in the manual, that is an error message that something is wrong.

In my 2014 Targa 4S, both the cig lighter outlet, and the passenger foot well outlet will power down after a few minutes even if the Ctek is plugged in and charging....so the Ctek will go from charging mode to an error indicator as soon as they power down. As a result, I attached a pigtail directly to the battery that I just plug into when I want to charge.

The thing that has me concerned for the OP's situation is that when plugged into his cig lighter, he seems to get the flashing yellow, but not when plugged into the other outlets. Again, the Porsche maintainer could be different than the Ctek branded maintainer, but I just toss the above info out there just in case the OP wanted to take another look.
There was a thread about this in January. I have a Ctek 7002 that will not work with my 16 GTS. like you said the outlets power down after a couple of minutes. I had to buy a Porsche battery maintainer, because (if I remember correctly) the Porsche maintainer operates at 3.3A and the Ctek 7002 operates at 7.7A. there is a detector in my electrical system that shuts down unless it detects 3.3A. This is how it was explained to me. All I know is that the Porsche Battery maintainer works on my car and the other Battery maintainers do not.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:57 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

There was a thread about this in January. I have a Ctek 7002 that will not work with my 16 GTS. like you said the outlets power down after a couple of minutes. I had to buy a Porsche battery maintainer, because (if I remember correctly) the Porsche maintainer operates at 3.3A and the Ctek 7002 operates at 7.7A. there is a detector in my electrical system that shuts down unless it detects 3.3A. This is how it was explained to me. All I know is that the Porsche Battery maintainer works on my car and the other Battery maintainers do not.
Very well could be the reason...thanks.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:36 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

According to the TEquipment site, it must be plugged in the cigarette lighter in the console for 991 models. I understand that others at least think theirs is working in other locations but that doesn't seem to agree with Porsche's own literature. For cars without the cigarette lighter, you can always connect directly to the battery using the adapter on the TEquipment site, part # 958 044 900 75.

Old 11-16-2016, 10:41 PM
Rezus
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine is charging just fine with the socket in passenger foot well
Old 11-19-2016, 09:30 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

I tested your theory this evening. I borrowed a Porsche branded maintainer from a buddy and plugged it into my foot well outlet (tested it with same results in the cig lighter outlet later) and the P branded maintainer works like a charm with no power down of the outlets. Where my Ctek 3300 would throw an error mode after several minutes when the outlets powered down, the P branded maintainer keeps on charging. As you indicated, there must be something about the P branded maintainer that allows the outlets to remain live.

Very interesting....but good to know. Every now and then, it apparently pays to buy the branded stuff. Even when it appears the Ctek 3300 model is the same thing....apparently it is not
Old 11-19-2016, 10:43 PM
Loud223
Instructor

Fasttr, what year is your Targa? On the previous thread I mentioned, owners with cars up to at least 2014 could use any Ctek. My SA told me they added the safety in the electrical system for the 2016 models.

Quick Reply: porsche battery maintainer working properly?