Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door rattles when Bose system plays music with Bass

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 07:48 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Could be your Fabspeed exhaust tips rattling.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:54 AM
Highyo
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

i have this issue and it's much more pronounced in the winter vs the warrm weather. not sure why that is. i also have the rattle without music playing. same sound, on a smooth road with bass loud it's the same as a bumpy road.

i have had them look at it and claim to have fixed it but it never seems to stick. i came close to taking the door apart but i don't trust my skills
The following users liked this post:
TurboCup87 (09-23-2019)
Old 07-05-2018, 11:47 AM
Cman21
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had the same problem with bass vibration. Removed the plastic airbag trim on the front part of the doors and added foam tape on the back side of the trim piece and the rattling stopped. I found the rattling by putting my finger between the airbag trim and the dash with the door closed and music playing.

Cman21
Old 07-05-2018, 11:42 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Could be your Fabspeed exhaust tips rattling.
Until they fall off?
Old 07-06-2018, 12:03 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

Just drove my T and used the radio for the first time... holy crap its a rattle trap. There is 0 sound deadening in the door panels. Im gonna try and felt around and see if i can get it (both doors).��
Old 07-07-2018, 11:36 AM
Soapman72
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the Bose system in your car, find a bass heavy track (I mean really bass heavy with lots of extreme low frequency information) crank the volume and just look down at the grab handle of your door. When I was test driving a Carrera S , I was shocked to see how much the door panel visibly flexes from the bass. I'm serious when I say that that part of the panel was literally moving over 1/4 inch from the bass. I dont care what you do, if you crank your Bose system, you will eventually have rattles, if you dont already. This does not happen as much with the Burmester as the door speakers do not produce as much low bass.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:50 AM
mreloc
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Is this is a weakness of the Burmester system too? If so, I haven't detected it yet.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:07 PM
Soapman72
Advanced

From what I've seen, the only real weakness of the Burmester is that it is lacking in low bass. If you have a system capable of reproducing really low bass, you will notice it immediately. The lowest frequencies aren't completely missing as in a lot of systems, but they are rolled off (lower in volume) significantly. Kind of annoying considering the cost of the system. What makes this worse, is that the Harmon Kardon in my M4 doesn't exhibit this problem. That system was an $875 option that they eventually made standard.

That said, the Burmester does sound slightly better everywhere else (mids and high-frequencies).

Oh well, a small flaw in an otherwise amazing car.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:54 PM
Highyo
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

i just completed a 13 hour (out of 24 hours) drive from new york to quantico back to east hampton and am happy to report i had no such issues with rattle. HOWEVER upon washing the car and driving another 2 hours last night, the rattle is back. i think the next move is removing that panel and seeing if that changes it. it's annoying enough to make the effort. i dont know what washing it did to retrigger the rattle. odd, i thought it was more of a temperature thing.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:59 PM
cenzzo
7th Gear

I had this same infuriating problem with my driver door, and the dealer said it was the window switch, and it wasn't replaceable under warranty, because the switch works - it's only warranted if it fails.
And, they quoted me about $5-600 to replace it, including labor. Decided to live with it.
I subsequently was resting my finger on the mirror joy stick during a drive, and the buzzing stopped. Honest to God. Just touched it, and the buzzing stopped.
I put a one inch piece of black electrical tape on one edge of the joystick taping it to the armrest. Low tech fix, but nobody sees it but me, and it works great.
Don't know if this will help anyone with their specific problem, but it's one more thing to look at . . .
---Vince
2013 911 Carrera S
88 911 Cabriolet
Old 09-19-2019, 09:54 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Originally Posted by mikkm
My .2 rattled when playing certain music with low bass. Flipped of the 3 plastic covers on the door panel, tightened 3 screws, and the rattle is almost gone. Even with the none Bose, the speakers tend to vibrate quite a lot, and there's a bunch of stuff inside that can cause a rattle. Use a plastic tool so you dont scratch the interior parts. The screws are torx, T30.
I don't understand what you mean - what 3 covers?
Old 09-19-2019, 09:57 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
In my experience, it's typically a problem with the way the 991 doors are designed. Most auto manufacturers couple the door woofer to the plastic grille with a foam gasket. Porsche decided that the looks of the two-piece grille was worth loosing that ability. Without that gasket, we get a good amount of acoustic energy inside the plastic door panel instead of directing it through the grille.
Hey Nick, you've been quiet lately...any news coming about what you hinted at regarding .2s?
Old 09-19-2019, 10:43 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 928 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by cenzzo
I had this same infuriating problem with my driver door, and the dealer said it was the window switch, and it wasn't replaceable under warranty, because the switch works - it's only warranted if it fails.
And, they quoted me about $5-600 to replace it, including labor. Decided to live with it.
I subsequently was resting my finger on the mirror joy stick during a drive, and the buzzing stopped. Honest to God. Just touched it, and the buzzing stopped.
I put a one inch piece of black electrical tape on one edge of the joystick taping it to the armrest. Low tech fix, but nobody sees it but me, and it works great.
Don't know if this will help anyone with their specific problem, but it's one more thing to look at . . .
---Vince
2013 911 Carrera S
88 911 Cabriolet
I actually just sound deadened my entire door. It's actually pretty easy to take off the door panel and perform this, especially if all you want to do is sound deaden that switch. I actually changed all the speakers in my door including installing a DynAudio 10" woofer with an aftermarket amp. There are some DIY's on how to remove the door handle, but it's literally like 3 screws and you lift it off and unlatch the door cable pull. I can take one off in less than 3 mins.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:43 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by cenzzo
---Vince
2013 911 Carrera S
88 911 Cabriolet
This is the exact problem I've seen on numerous 991s. The mirror adjustment switch is just floating in a plastic cup under there. I've actually taken one apart down to the buttons and added some buffer material to stop the rattle. Worked great, but a bit more of an advanced DIY for sure.

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I don't understand what you mean - what 3 covers?
There are three plastic covers that hide access to the hardware that holds the door on. One is under the door pull handle, another at the front where the dash meets up, and the last one at the back on the door jam side at the very top. Here are a couple photos:

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Hey Nick, you've been quiet lately...any news coming about what you hinted at regarding .2s?
I've been meaning to post about that. We've had the systems for the .2 finished for months now but had some issues with our supplier for the data interfacing. That has just been fixed this last week and we're doing a soft launch right now. Email me if you want more details and I'll get you set up!

Originally Posted by Joec500
I actually just sound deadened my entire door. It's actually pretty easy to take off the door panel and perform this, especially if all you want to do is sound deaden that switch. I actually changed all the speakers in my door including installing a DynAudio 10" woofer with an aftermarket amp. There are some DIY's on how to remove the door handle, but it's literally like 3 screws and you lift it off and unlatch the door cable pull. I can take one off in less than 3 mins.
It's surprising how much easier the 991 is to disassemble vs a 997 – laughable, in fact!
The following users liked this post:
gearFX (09-24-2019)
Old 09-20-2019, 06:28 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Thanks; however, I thought there are 4 screws that hold the door panel on - where is the 4th?

Quick Reply: Door rattles when Bose system plays music with Bass