Door rattles when Bose system plays music with Bass

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 08:17 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Door rattles when Bose system plays music with Bass

Hi all,
I searched the forum for this but did not see a similar post.

As topic says, when I play music with high bass the door rattles and there is distortion of the sound. Almost like something is loose (a screw or something?). This is confirmed as when I pause the music it goes away. Not noted on the passenger door. I'm taking her in in 2 weeks (which is next available appointment) - just fishing for ideas.

thanks

--
15 GTS C2
Old 11-03-2016, 08:54 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Same problem, but it didn't require high volume or heavy bass. Before I took it in I experimented because I wanted to be able to amply demonstrate it. I could always get it to buzz on bass notes when I tuned Sirius to the smooth jazz station -- it's called Watercolors and it's 66. Even at low, conversational volume it would rattle the driver's door and not the pax side.

So I brought it up during my first repair visit a month or so after delivery. They kept it for 3 days messing with the door (my other problem was very quickly and easily resolved. This was all for the door buzz). I had a loaner and was fine. Got it back and it was better, but still to this day it will buzz/rattle on a big bass hit, even at low volume (which is the only way I listen.) Alas, I don't really use the system much anyway, so it's not been something I've bothered to take it back again for.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:55 PM
M Fig
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got the Burmester system but experienced the same thing from the passenger door speaker...almost sounded like the speaker was blown out. I took it in and they said they couldn't find anything wrong with the speaker but put a piece of foam in the enclosure and it fixed it.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:15 PM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine does is with the base system IF I crank the volume too high (while washing it, in order to hear it from the outside with the car closed, for example)

There were plenty of threads on this, I believe...
Old 11-03-2016, 09:15 PM
Pitocin
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put your car to Bluetooth and play this on your phone

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M8gjsefNYpE

see what frequency it really gets it to buzz then search YouTube for that frequency tone. Play that on loop and then go to town pressing on panels and trying to see if you can put any felt tape or wedge something to keep it from rattling.

I've been able to get my cabin pretty using this technique. Good luck
Old 11-03-2016, 10:17 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 505 Likes on 158 Posts

On my car, it's the passenger door window switch that buzzes on bass notes. I'll replace it next time I'm at the dealer.
To the Original Poster - try touching the window switch when you hear the buzzing. See if that stops it momentarily. It may not be the speaker at all.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:56 AM
ieatfishburritos
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car had this issue and I swore it was a Bose speaker problem or a lose wire in the door vibrating at a certain frequency. I brought it up to my SA and they immediately said they see it all the time, and would fix by replacing the window switch module. Sure enough it's fixed.

I
Old 11-04-2016, 04:49 PM
daberlin
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ieatfishburritos
My car had this issue and I swore it was a Bose speaker problem or a lose wire in the door vibrating at a certain frequency. I brought it up to my SA and they immediately said they see it all the time, and would fix by replacing the window switch module. Sure enough it's fixed.

I
Ironic that you should mention this. The door cards 'buzzing' were (are?) driving me absolutely bonkers Regularly it was the driver side door, and on one or two occasions, passenger door. Took the car in this week to point out a slight crack in the driver's window switch module which Porsche replaced under warranty. Tech said he drove the car and could NOT reproduce buzzing/vibration in the door. Drove the car home...no noise so far. Would be awesome if this does the trick.
Old 11-05-2016, 01:13 AM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

My car just started doing this! Guess I'll be visiting the dealer on Monday.
Old 11-05-2016, 02:06 AM
mmaturo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ha...exact same problem here...I guess I know what I will be checking in the morning.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:27 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

I've had several modern era Porsches. All have done this. I'm guessing Lexus puts more R and D dollars into interior fit and finish, while Porsche puts more into driving dynamics.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:35 AM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

In my experience, it's typically a problem with the way the 991 doors are designed. Most auto manufacturers couple the door woofer to the plastic grille with a foam gasket. Porsche decided that the looks of the two-piece grille was worth loosing that ability. Without that gasket, we get a good amount of acoustic energy inside the plastic door panel instead of directing it through the grille.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:21 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 505 Likes on 158 Posts

My passenger's door window switch was replaced today. Buzzing is gone...for now.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:55 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

Go to the sound function and select option. Scroll down and select "linear" and your rattling should disappear. It seems to tighten up the bass.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:12 AM
mikkm
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My .2 rattled when playing certain music with low bass. Flipped of the 3 plastic covers on the door panel, tightened 3 screws, and the rattle is almost gone. Even with the none Bose, the speakers tend to vibrate quite a lot, and there's a bunch of stuff inside that can cause a rattle. Use a plastic tool so you dont scratch the interior parts. The screws are torx, T30.

Quick Reply: Door rattles when Bose system plays music with Bass