PPF issue (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 06:07 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts
Default PPF issue (pics)

Hello;

When I purchased my GTS I immediatly drove to the best PPF place around (3 hour drive) to have xpel installed. This installer came highly recommended and works on million dollar cars and supposedly does good per reviews and word of mouth. However, I was never pleased with the work but I bit my tongue. Within about 6 months, I noticed peeling on several places and pre-cut pieces that were not aligned properly. Due to my job, I never had the time to drive back and deal with it.

Anyways, over the past few months, the PPF around gas tank is becoming dirty (see pic)

Anything that can be done to "clean" this?

Cheers
Old 10-26-2016, 06:40 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

very difficult to clean, you might use a q tip with solution on it and try to get out the dirt that way

not to put insult on injury, but installer should have wrapped around the opening to avoid this issue - mine is wrapped
Old 10-26-2016, 07:05 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

ya, I only learned about this after the fact. Shame on me for not researching PPF prior to install. ugh.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:14 PM
Pitocin
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try a clay bar just press it up to the edge and lift off. It may be able to pull off some of the dirt without actually having to lift off the edge of the film.

I've always had success with this method to clean the factory ppf edge in front of the rear wheels when they get dirty.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:20 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Thanks fellas!
Old 10-26-2016, 08:06 PM
Cristophosphorus
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by neurotichamster8
Thanks fellas!
+1 for clay. Works wonders for dirty film corners.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:16 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Also, since the dirt that has collected in the exposed-edge area has effectively "ruined" the adhesion of the film there, you should get a bit of 3M edge sealant (3M 3950, comes in stick and cans that you can spread-on like rubber glue) and apply to the cleaned areas to tack the edges down. This might hold forever, or just long enough before you have to clean again. You don't want that dirt to work any further into the PPF and start to bubble.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:44 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by plenum
Also, since the dirt that has collected in the exposed-edge area has effectively "ruined" the adhesion of the film there, you should get a bit of 3M edge sealant (3M 3950, comes in stick and cans that you can spread-on like rubber glue) and apply to the cleaned areas to tack the edges down. This might hold forever, or just long enough before you have to clean again. You don't want that dirt to work any further into the PPF and start to bubble.
I finally decided that I didn't care to put it on my car when it comes in. This is what is happening to my Cayman, and happened to my BMWs. The Cayman was wrapped well, but there are some spots down around the front air vents. You spend thousands to do this, and then you have to maintain it, repair it, and so on.

When I started adding up the cost to do the wrap correctly, add a sealer on top, and then to deal with issues like this over time, it just isn't worth it. When I get a few nicks in the paint, I'll just take it to a shop to be corrected.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:07 AM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
I finally decided that I didn't care to put it on my car when it comes in. This is what is happening to my Cayman, and happened to my BMWs. The Cayman was wrapped well, but there are some spots down around the front air vents. You spend thousands to do this, and then you have to maintain it, repair it, and so on.

When I started adding up the cost to do the wrap correctly, add a sealer on top, and then to deal with issues like this over time, it just isn't worth it. When I get a few nicks in the paint, I'll just take it to a shop to be corrected.
Certainly not going to argue that to PPF or not to PPF is a personal choice and to each his own!

But I think the lesson here -- and this is a good one for any uninitiated to the world of wrapping -- there is a right way to do the job, and a "wrong" way. I almost said "you get what you pay for" but I am sure there are plenty of cases of PPF installs out there that were overcharged whether done right or wrong. So I'll focus on the method of installing PPF. Don't believe me, a novice, then just read some of the posts online from Moe (MoeMistry - Glistening Perfection) on this topic.

When you wrap a surface (whether PPF or color-change vinyl) and leave edges exposed to the elements (as in the case by OP) it is just a matter of time before the edges lift, collect dirt, and begin to fail. I've seen cases where the PPF can go on in this state for a long time, like years, but the edges will always fail. The ONLY way to properly wrap a car body is to remove all accessories, lights, door handles, trim, and extend the wrap around all edges to the underside of the surface, and in any locations where adhesion is tricky due to curves, edges, or available space you should be using 3m edge sealer to create a stronger bond in those areas.

But guess what? Doing it the right way does cost more! Installs using pre-cut templates that end just around the edges of areas like headlights, grills, badges, etc. are cheaper to buy, can be installed by less skilled installers, and so on. But, you will likely have to replace sooner, may not be happy with the look etc. just as the OP states.

Ok, so maybe just my $0.02. But I just want to point out that despite what happens to installs like the OP is experiencing doesn't have to be the case, and certainly shouldn't reflect poorly upon the entire PPF installer industry. And lastly, installing the right way, and perhaps paying thousands of $$, doesn't have to be a money-pit. With proper care, just like the care you give painted surfaces, the PPF will last for a long time without issue.

YMMV. LOL.

Last edited by plenum; 10-27-2016 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:54 AM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

I will always get PPF for my nice-er cars--it has saved the paint from rock chips as evident but the scars left on the PPF and I can be rough on 50% of the car when washing it

Next time, I will try to find a better installer. Living around Pittsburgh, unfortunately, doesn't leave me with much options. The place in Ohio was considered to be a "top-notch" place. Oh well. $2500 lesson learned
Old 10-27-2016, 11:42 AM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

That's not a bad installation is just the nature of the precut kits.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:04 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 9914s
That's not a bad installation is just the nature of the precut kits.
I totally understand that but within ~6 months of the install, I had several places where the PPF was peeling off the car (one spot on the chin spoiler and several other places along the wheel well of the car).

I know I could have called the installer but due to the 3 hour drive and my crazy work schedule--I just couldn't make another pilgrimage back to Ohio. I will probably remove the bra next year (it will be on for 3 years then) and start fresh with a local guy that worked on my X5M and did a very good job.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:48 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 698 Likes on 366 Posts

That area can be fixed, more like a band aid...you have to find the best installer in your area, and he/she needs to trim that back. It's a little hairy though...find someone that's good with the blade. Another route, just have it replaced and ask for wrapped edges on the fender and gas door.

This is on our Advanced Level, custom, installation, but our Moderate, semi-custom, end result is the same.

Old 03-12-2017, 03:22 PM
GT3FZS
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 92 Posts
Default PM sent

PM sent

Originally Posted by neurotichamster8
I totally understand that but within ~6 months of the install, I had several places where the PPF was peeling off the car (one spot on the chin spoiler and several other places along the wheel well of the car).

I know I could have called the installer but due to the 3 hour drive and my crazy work schedule--I just couldn't make another pilgrimage back to Ohio. I will probably remove the bra next year (it will be on for 3 years then) and start fresh with a local guy that worked on my X5M and did a very good job.

Quick Reply: PPF issue (pics)