Sponsored by:

Porsche Car Connect - Remote Services

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 04:40 PM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary JR
Is this in addition to the SIM chip monthly fee?
Originally Posted by philg3
Don't have my 991.2TT yet -- it's coming into port tomorrow (should take delivery next week), but my understanding is the Connect functions come free for 1 year, then those fees apply -- don't think you ATT for that connectivity.

What you do have to pay ATT for ($10 monthly on my plan -- same as adding an iPad to your plan) is the Sim for the Navigation and Car Play services, if you want the convenience of not plugging in your iPhone each time you drive. This is separate from the Connect services.

In other words, I believe there are two Sims -- one for Connect, and the other for Navigation including traffic and CarPlay.

Feel free to make any corrections if my thoughts are erroneous.
You are correct, one SIM is documented, the SIM that provides Connect Services is undocumented.
I believe CarPlay is using your iPhone SIM.
So in effect if you have an iPhone with you when driving, there are three SIM's in your car. My 3 months free, ran out and I used my iPhone as a WiFi 'HotSpot' for the car but the NAV did not get road closures. Plus you cannot just walk into your AT&T store and activate you SIM and put on your Plan. You have to go to a seperate AT&T website for SIM activation.
I have spent a few hours getting all this set up properly.-Richard
Old 10-23-2016, 02:40 AM
bmxtreme
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Norsk
One area. You have a map with the car at the center; you zoom in or out to set the fence boundaries.

You can set the speed fence to alert you at 10, 30, or 40 mph.
Ouch, thanks, so looks like i will need to keep setting if I want it to alert for multiple places.

Do I need to pay for the ATT sim service too? I have a 991.1

Wonder if they will give me some free trial time before I commit.
Old 11-16-2016, 05:51 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 71 Posts

Remote services was activated by the dealer when I took delivery -- took them some effort, but it works. It's free for one year. Security and / or Safety services are optional. There are discounts for multiple services, and for 24mo versus 12mo term.

I received a welcome call from them today, but did not answer as the caller id came thought as "Monterey, CA" -- just like SPAM calls. A human left a VM, saying they need additional info and gave me a number to call them back that matched the one on the support web site. I called it, was on hold for 4 minutes, spoke to a CS Agent, who inquired why I was calling, then put me on hold for an additional 10 minutes (with horrible music) -- I hung up.

The remote services are good, but I question the other services -- if you need the human interface at their support center, since, apparently there's no one to man or woman the phones. Very disappointed, and question the value proposition -- especially if your car is stolen, and no one will answer your call, or the app notification. Furthermore, it appears that you cannot subscribe to their services via their web interface.

The remote service shows the location of your car, so perhaps you just subscribe to that, and if your car is stolen, you call the cops yourself -- they answer their phones.

Anyone have any thoughts on this, or perhaps a better experience?
Old 11-16-2016, 06:03 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

There are various ways to track these days. I use these on cars, keys, luggage, etc.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:06 AM
budrichard
Banned

As an update, I am approaching the one year period for my Security Services.
For one year the cost of just Security Services is $219 but for two years one can 'bundle',
Security, Safety and Remote for $479.
I like the Car Connect APP and it's ability to set both Speed and a Physcial Fence, I can't get LOJACK in Wisconsin and the bundle made the Safety a few extra dollars.
I have been able to contact the Vodaphone Security Center with no problems.
Billing is a little problematic as they never sent out an invoice for my first year of Security and when I notified them, they Comped the first year.
You CAN subcribe on-line but can't pay on-line , maybe the they will forget again.-Richard
Old 03-25-2017, 08:08 AM
JR956678
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by budrichard
My 3 months free, ran out and I used my iPhone as a WiFi 'HotSpot' for the car but the NAV did not get road closures.
From conversations with my dealer and also with AT&T store reps, this seems to be what most people end up doing but your limitation (not getting road closures) seems to be a somewhat common ramification of not having a direct connection between the PCM (and NAV) and the internet as a result of using a phone as a "hot spot" to connect the PCM.
Plus you cannot just walk into your AT&T store and activate your SIM and put on your Plan. You have to go to a separate AT&T website for SIM activation. I have spent a few hours getting all this set up properly.-Richard
I also found the same issues when my 3 month "demo plan" was about to run out, and I also spent more than a few hours getting this issue straightened out but with a slightly different solution.
AT&T will direct you to a separate website and support group and through that group I WAS able to get them to convert my demo plan and SIM into a "personal" AT&T account and plan - unlimited data for which they told me would bill at $20 / month (though what I REALLY wanted was to put the vehicle on my business Mobile Share Advantage plan for $10 / month).
Three different AT&T support folks (and many hours on the phone) gave me the same answer - they couldn't move the vehicle into a business account - only into a personal account. But when the demo plan ran out and the actual new plan became visible "online" in the new account it turned out it was going to bill at $40 / month - not the $20 / month they told me on the phone.

Rather than fight that issue I went in another direction. At a local AT&T store I got them to issue me a new SIM card on my business plan that would share the existing business data plan and only costs $10 / month (and no device activation fee). It turns out the PCM isn't a special snowflake - it works just fine on the new AT&T SIM card and bills to my business plan (it acts like a tablet device). I closed the other "personal" account.

Jim
Old 03-25-2017, 11:39 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Having access to RT Waze traffic on a smartphone there are just not too many time and money hoops I am willing to jump through.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:45 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 758 Likes on 276 Posts

Will this work on a 991.1?
Old 03-26-2017, 12:38 PM
budrichard
Banned

There are currently 3 main Navigation APPS along with Porsche's NAV implementation with ATT.
Maps is an Apple Product and is now seperate from Google Maps.
Neither provide Law Enforcement and crowd sharing location features as WAZE does.
Porsche's NAV is I believe Google Map based but is feature rich on the 991.2 implementation.
I have no idea about the 991.1 or anything earlier.
Of the four NAV products, I prefer the Porsche product for the implentation hands down and I can view it in the TFT display.
Apple Maps is also available in the center display and TFT but it is a sad product compared to Porsche's NAV.
Your Iphone must be USB connected to use Apple Maps.
I use Apple Maps a lot to get around because all my cell contacts have location and it's very fast to get a route plotted from your present location to your destination.
WAZE can only be viewed on your phone or any tablet device.
I prefer to use Porsche NAV when going to a new location.
WAZE is only used for Law Enforcement and resides in a custom cell holder to the left of the center stack.
If you are not using Porsche NAV with ATT Data you are not using one of the best technological features of the 991.2.
If anyone has any different information, please let me know.-Richard
Old 03-26-2017, 12:46 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Apple Maps is also available in the center display and TFT but it is a sad product compared to Porsche's NAV.
Your Iphone must be USB connected to use Apple Maps.
Which means Spotify can be running also and Apple Maps cuts in when it needs to. Nothing sad about that.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:53 PM
JR956678
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I use Apple Maps a lot to get around because all my cell contacts have location and it's very fast to get a route plotted from your present location to your destination.
I tend to agree with you on your other points, but would mention in regards to this one:

I also have locations in most of my contacts - especially those where I might at some point in time wish to drive to. The PCM NAV implementation on the 991.2 has two search functions on the NAV screen - online (Google) and another search that will search your phone contacts (updated through Bluetooth each time you connect a phone) so you can call up a phone contact in the PCM in a way very similar to how Apple Maps can call up the same location.

Also, in addition to the "Security Services" and "Remote Services" you mentioned above there's another app - "Porsche Connect" that has other functions. It's basically a Google search app that allows you to seek an address from your phone - in advance of a planned trip there - and save the destination as an App POI on your phone (with the address). Then if you launch the app on your phone and the PCM and the phone are connected via WiFi (either the PCM is tethered to your phone or the phone is tethered to the PCM as I do through the AT&T SIM card) there's an on screen icon that allows you to call up all your locations stored in the Porsche Connect phone app and navigate to any location there. I particularly like to plan a trip in advance and keep it in the phone until I need to navigate there.

Quick Reply: Porsche Car Connect - Remote Services