Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Car Connect" iOS App in 991.1- Worth Activating at Dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 08:48 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 758 Likes on 276 Posts
Default "Car Connect" iOS App in 991.1- Worth Activating at Dealer?

So there is an iOS app, Porsche "Car Connect," that requires dealer activation. Because I bought my 991.1 at a BMW dealer, I would need to have a P car dealer activate. I haven't called to see how much they charge, but is it worth it anyway?

Thoughts, impressions, etc.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:23 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

Since your talking 991.1..... Is it more than Aha Radio?

http://www.aharadio.com/what-is-aha

I sometimes use it but not worth it if the dealer charges to load it into the PCM in my opinion.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:36 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 227 Posts

For the .1 you have to have Online Services as an option on the car. You can have online services installed after the fact as well by the dealer. I did it and you can now use Aha as a source on the PCM like tuner, iPod, satellite, cd, etc. Think of it like satellite radio but it uses your cell phone data plan instead of a satellite signal which is important if you don't have the satellite radio option or are in Hawaii where the satellites don't reach. Assuming it's the same in Alaska. No satellite radio in Europe so it's nice to be able to hear US news and radio stations that live stream audio. In addition to music, it has audio books, news, etc. You can save "stations" just like on sat or terrestrial radio. It also has a search function that can find restaurants and hotels with audio reading of the information over the PCM. It allows you to push the "Set as Destination" and seamlessly integrates with PCM Navigation

I activated it because in Europe you can use Aha to get real time traffic and weather for free via online services option. In the States, you have to have the Sirius/XM option and have a subscription to weather and traffic. It's a nice option if you like a lot of variety.

(Waiting for the inevitable "I open the windows and listen to the Flat 6 comments )
Old 03-16-2017, 02:38 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 773 Posts

According to the information in the app description in the app store, it is available for the 911 (991 facelift). I assume that means 991.2 only. It does specify that a Porsche Car Connect unit (whatever that is....) is required.

There is also an app called Porsche PCM Connect. It lest you transfer nav destinations from the address book or calendar of the phone directly into the PCM unit. It doesn't specify 991.1 or 991.2.

I have the Aha Radio app and I use it occasionally. It's not bad, but it doesn't offer the features listed in the Porsche Car Connect app.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:56 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 758 Likes on 276 Posts

Thanks for the replies.

Appears my new to me 991.1 does not have online services.

I'll do some more research this weekend, but without online services, in a 991.1 you're SOL.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:17 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

It sounds like you can add the option at your dealer, but I have no idea how much that would cost.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:11 AM
nlpamg
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's garbage. Totally not worth it.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:14 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 227 Posts

Aha hotels and restaurant search is powered by Yelp, not Google, so that is kind of cool.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:05 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I messed around a bit with this yesterday. I have a 991.1 with the online services option. First of all, I can confirm that the 991.1 system will not work with the two apps in this thread: Porsche Car Connect and Porsche PCM Connect. You need the updated system in the 991.2 for those apps to work. Here's what you get with online services in the 991.1:

- Aha Radio. With the iPhone, this will only work via the USB connection in the glovebox. I believe that it will work via bluetooth with Android devices. I like Aha radio because it gives you the ability to create custom channels. For example, I have a "Rolling Stones" channel that functions much like a Pandora channel. Aha also gives you access to many radio stations around the country. I live in the Denver area, but I'm a Dallas native. Aha allows me to get the Dallas area sports radio stations when I need a Dallas Cowboys update. All channels are accessible through the PCM unit.

- Aha Radio also gives you access to local weather and POIs by category. It uses the GPS system in your car and your phone's internet connection. For example, you can select "coffee shops" and it will populate a list of nearby shops. It will then provide navigation to the one you choose through the PCM unit. It sounds like these searches are powered by Yelp, as mentioned above.

- Searches for destinations through the PCM unit using your phone's internet connection. You can search for destinations or POIs through the PCM unit using this connection, and an icon pops up that says "Powered by Google" as it searches.

That's all it does, as far as I can tell. I have traffic service through Sirius/XM, and that is nicely integrated into the nav system.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:32 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Here's the Porsche press release on Online Services:

http://press.porsche.com/news/pdf/Po...e-Services.pdf
Old 03-26-2017, 03:41 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

AHA radio is useless in my Cayenne. Most of the time, it fails to keep downloading the data even when my phone has full bar signal. It is not a substitute to satellite radio etc.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:04 PM
JR956678
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
It sounds like you can add the option at your dealer, but I have no idea how much that would cost.
On a 991.2 that has all the PCM updates, this service does indeed have to be activated by the dealer but they did that for me for no charge (of course I bought the car from them).

Because there are certain sensitive pieces of information the car shares with the app (for example - its location even if it's not running) it's a two stage authentication process. When you install the app and start the process it sends you a security code which you give to the dealer and which he then programs into the car's computer. That then sends a code to your phone which you add to your phone app and only then will the two connect.

I would hardly categorize this as a mission critical function but it is amusing to play with.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:35 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by visitador
AHA radio is useless in my Cayenne. Most of the time, it fails to keep downloading the data even when my phone has full bar signal. It is not a substitute to satellite radio etc.
It works well for me on most channels, so I have no complaints. I agree with you that it is not a substitute for satellite radio.

Quick Reply: "Car Connect" iOS App in 991.1- Worth Activating at Dealer?