Sponsored by:

Centerlock Wheels is Absurd idea for road cars

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 11:48 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by 09RedGTS
I have never read that Center lock wheels have any advantage other than a different look, quicker to change in a race pit situation.
The ones that come on street cars cannot be changed quicker in a race pit situation. They're not the same as the ones used on race cars. If you were to try to change them like that... well... you MIGHT do ok on the first stop but on the second you're screwed because the wheel nuts, if used with an impact wrench, are single-use-only. And that's assuming they went back on the first time and weren't ruined when they were removed.

For street cars the only "advantage" is the look. Because racecar.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:45 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 980 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Harsany
The issue for me is that Porsche does not make a real great looking wheel, centre lock or standard.

Centre lock hubs limit the aftermarket wheel selection.

As far as safety...I believe this is a non-issue, both applications are safe.
One of the beauties of HRE is that they will make any of their custom forged wheels in centerlock configuration.

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique
Largest Dealer In The World for HRE Wheels, ANRKY Wheels, Vorsteiner Wheels & Aero, Akrapovic Exhaust, & iPE Exhaust
BBS, Forgeline, & TechArt Premium Dealer
Brembo / Rotiform / KW / H&R / Novitec / Brabus / Mansory and tons more...
Old 10-20-2016, 02:58 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
The ones that come on street cars cannot be changed quicker in a race pit situation. They're not the same as the ones used on race cars. If you were to try to change them like that... well... you MIGHT do ok on the first stop but on the second you're screwed because the wheel nuts, if used with an impact wrench, are single-use-only. And that's assuming they went back on the first time and weren't ruined when they were removed.

The look is enough to to justify the purchase. It looks 10,000 times better than any five lug I've ever seen. Porsche engineers are a bright bunch. Plus the process isn't that complicated, just a little foreign.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:23 AM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WheelsB
One of the beauties of HRE is that they will make any of their custom forged wheels in centerlock configuration.
The news just keeps getting better and better. Can we change thread name to CL wheels are perfect idea for road car?
Old 10-21-2016, 11:52 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel

^^ truth ^^

do what makes urself happy, but don't fool urself
Old 10-21-2016, 01:01 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 09RedGTS
I have never read that Center lock wheels have any advantage other than a different look, quicker to change in a race pit situation.
Is it possible they can be designed a little lighter because the load can be spread around the inner part of the wheel with less alloy than needed for a 5 lug center?
One of the instructors at Porsche Silverstone told me that CLs are faster because they have less rotational inertia - the heavy stuff is all right at the centre. Imagine difference is negligible, but it's a nice thing to think about!

I just did what I'd been meaning to do for ages and ordered myself a puncture-repair kit though...!
Old 10-21-2016, 01:13 PM
RS911
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 60 Posts

I have CLs. I do believe the CLs give the GTS it's unique look, which differentiates it from the non GT models.

Having said that CLs do weigh more than 5 lugs and not all tyre places can dismount the CLs.
Old 10-23-2016, 02:54 PM
RONGLOS
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by pfan
Too bad Porsche can't come up with a "simulated" CL offering; you know, have the drop-dead gorgeous CL center while somehow hiding the lug bolts beneath.
Mercedes has what you are referencing. It is a small plastic center cover. Forgot what model.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:57 PM
MikeF_Vossen
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by c_Gio
The news just keeps getting better and better. Can we change thread name to CL wheels are perfect idea for road car?
We can

Quick Reply: Centerlock Wheels is Absurd idea for road cars