Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Targa 4 or 4S?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 09:50 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 524 Likes on 200 Posts

I got the 991.2 Targa 4 instead of the the 4S, as it has less (in sport mode undetectable) turbo lag, and as I have a MT my shifting is probably not fast enough to take advantage of the extra hp. I use mine as a daily driver and it is plenty fast enough, in fact the new 991.2 Targa 4 is as fast as the 991.1 Targa GTS. I could have afforded the 4S but couldn't justify the extra expense for an engine with the same displacement. The Targa is also more of a GT than track car and the base engine suits its character.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:54 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,044 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
I'd pass on the front lift since you do not have SPASM (cant get with Targa anyway) and bag the 4WS. Not worth it unless you are trying to get 0.1 secs on a lap.

S or base is fine. The Base Targa even with its weight will be faster than your 981. Do you need anything faster?

Everything else is a thumbs up.
Don't care about lap times, but boy I have scraped lots of Porsches over the years. The FAL seems like a no-brainer. Lots of speed bumps around me.
Agree on the 4WS. Had it on my TT and can't say I ever noticed it.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:54 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 524 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by LCW
IMHO the Lane Change Assist is a must have these days.
I disagree with you. I found it the most annoying option on my previous Merc. It would often go off when in fact I could do a safe lane change, and then I would self-doubt myself and overcorrect. I find with proper side mirror placement (wide and not able to see your own car) and a quick glance to the side, I am a safer driver. As far as useless options go, I put it up there with easy access, which I think was designed for women with purses who couldn't find their keys buried inside.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:55 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LCW
IMHO the Lane Change Assist is a must have these days.
It annoys the hell out of me on my S550. I'm looking all the time and hate the beeps. Would never pay to be annoyed.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:56 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,468 Posts

No kidding... I hate lane nannies. I much prefer situational awareness and mirrors correctly adjusted!
Old 10-13-2016, 09:57 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by go.illini
Graphite Blue metallic for the win.

Obviously a very personal question. For me it comes down to how I would use the car. It is already well established the base 991.2 is hella fast. I would argue that for "spirited" driving the base will be plenty of car.

I don't see the point of Sport Chrono on a base car (unless you like the look of the dash pod). I would ditch that and probably the PTV and put in PSE. But you're not building my car...
SC gives rev matching for resale. Have PTV on the Boxster and will probably delete it. Thanks.
PSE: I refuse to pay to sound louder. I often turn it off on my BGTS.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:59 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fasttr
In the .1 world, I opted for the S for the larger displacement engine.

In the .2 world, since its 3.0 vs 3.0, I'd save my $$$ and opt for the Base. Tests seem to show the Base is plenty of car for most.

BTW....saw a Graphite Blue Targa .1 in Park City this summer ....wowzer .... really hot color and great combo with the Targa bar. Great choice there!!
Thanks. Most underrate stock color in a long time, IMO.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:01 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfbz
I think on the .2's, non-S versions are still mighty quick and satisfying... If it was a previous generation 991.1, I'd say the S is a must, but the new non S cars are a home run IMHO.

If you really want a targa top, seems like the non-S Targa is the way to go. Definitely not as 'sporty' as the 4S with more weight up top and lower power, but still plenty of performance unless you are thinking lap times on track days.
Thanks and, nope. I've coupes and cabs but never a Targa. Thought I would try one.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:02 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KenTO
I got the 991.2 Targa 4 instead of the the 4S, as it has less (in sport mode undetectable) turbo lag, and as I have a MT my shifting is probably not fast enough to take advantage of the extra hp. I use mine as a daily driver and it is plenty fast enough, in fact the new 991.2 Targa 4 is as fast as the 991.1 Targa GTS. I could have afforded the 4S but couldn't justify the extra expense for an engine with the same displacement. The Targa is also more of a GT than track car and the base engine suits its character.
Excellent info. Thanks.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:03 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfbz
No kidding... I hate lane nannies. I much prefer situational awareness and mirrors correctly adjusted!
Winner!
Old 10-13-2016, 10:07 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trice9
I'm curious, do you have an allocation or is that the next step? When I was trying to order mine (due December), it was very difficult to find an allocation (have 3 local dealers, and tried others as well). My dealer ended up trading with another after looking for a bit, but I was under the impression the allocations are hard to come by. I'm sure its due to a mix of low Targa supply and probably not-too-high Targa demand. So I'm wondering if either of those have changed recently.

As far as the question, I don't have an opinion for you, but I ordered the 4S. That's what I test drove and loved it, and coming from a TT I didn't want to chance being disappointed with less power.
I received email confirmation of an allocation while out hunting this evening for early next year. I bought a TT and an S550 from the same dealer in the last 18 months, so that might have helped me.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:21 PM
Shrevehorn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the color. Drove a boxster S in that color at the Porsche facility in Birmingham. Really great look, unique without being crazy.

I'm an options *****, would order even more.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:39 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shrevehorn
Love the color. Drove a boxster S in that color at the Porsche facility in Birmingham. Really great look, unique without being crazy.

I'm an options *****, would order even more.
Going a little more basic on this one, I think. 18 ways, leather, premium package plus and BOSE are must haves, IMO. The rest are "extras". I had the Burmester in my TT and, although it clearly was better sitting, not so noticeable when underway to my ears.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:50 AM
go.illini
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
SC gives rev matching for resale. Have PTV on the Boxster and will probably delete it. Thanks.
PSE: I refuse to pay to sound louder. I often turn it off on my BGTS.
Definitely a stronger argument for SC if getting a manual. I had PDK in mind for my comment.

PSE is a personal choice although a resale argument could be made for it since that is important to you.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:53 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by go.illini
Definitely a stronger argument for SC if getting a manual. I had PDK in mind for my comment.
I ordered a manual with SC for the rev match but when I test drove it was a PDK with SC.

The PDK gets the "push to pass" aka sport response feature with SC which is pretty nice to have since it lets you cruise in a quiet/comfortable mode if you wish but dial everything up to 11 with 1 button press. Much faster/easier than turning the **** or pressing buttons on the console and downshifting several gears or waiting for the kick down.

Quick Reply: Targa 4 or 4S?