Sponsored by:

Remove scratch from interior silver trim

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 08:07 PM
rc77
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove scratch from interior silver trim

After taking my 991 to the dealership, the put a light (but long and visible) scratch in the trim within the center console. They did a detail on the car and said they got it out but it's still there.

Anyone have any luck getting a light scratch out of this trim?
Attached Images  
Old 10-09-2016, 08:22 PM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 193 Posts

Tell them to replace it.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:26 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,222 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by ENCT
Tell them to replace it.
Yup, they caused the damage - they gotta replace it. Don't let them get away with anything until you are satisfied.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:05 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Agreed, have them replace.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:21 PM
Dangelus
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only option is to replace.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:42 PM
Geiss
Instructor

Funny how that happens, every time I used to take my Mercedes to the dealer, Id find a scratch on the interior trim. Makes you wonder how they can be so careless. *almost* looks deliberate.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:41 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

One of the main reasons I moved on from Jaguar.... The dealer dropped something on my windshield and cracked it. They stepped up and replaced.

During the replacement they cut through the beautiful leather on the dash. Very nice, soft, high end leather. The cut was just above 10:00 on the steering wheel in perfect sight when driving. They again agreed to "fix"... instead they sanded it down and spray painted. The white stitching was off color and the previously soft, even leather now have an inconsistent and rough texture. Plus you could still see where the damage was albeit muted a bit. Dealer (Scott Jaguar in Charlotte) stated it was fixed and they would never use spray paint. Interesting how the overspray got on a new windshield when the car had not left the dealer since replacement since they would never use spray paint! After they got caught in that lie they reverted to not being responsible since the windshield repair people were subcontracted.

Moral of the story is that your dealer had a chance to fix. If it could have been fixed they would have done it. At this point any additional attempts could make it and the parts around it look worse in effort to hide the damage. They should replace at this juncture. If they don't then find a new dealer - or indy since your dealer will have demonstrated that they prefer to cover up and hide their mistakes and not stand behind their work.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:45 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Jaguar service in general and Jag USA customer support is awful. Not surprised at all.

Agree on replacing the trim part, ask nicely, if they say no, up it to the zone representative.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:02 AM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rc77
After taking my 991 to the dealership, the put a light (but long and visible) scratch in the trim within the center console. They did a detail on the car and said they got it out but it's still there.

Anyone have any luck getting a light scratch out of this trim?
The surface is fixable, but it's difficult to match the original color. I would use liquid ceramic compound (maybe a greyish type instead of white/cream) and polisher.

PF
Old 10-10-2016, 11:55 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Now's your chance to get it replaced with an exterior-to-color, if you choose.

And NEVER let a dealership "detail" your car. Never.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:34 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan

You don't like drive through car washes and harsh chemicals designed to strip a finish and get grime off as fast as possible?
Old 10-10-2016, 04:14 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan

+1

I can't stand the face they give me "you don't want us to wash the car?!? But it's free!!!"
Old 10-10-2016, 05:11 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vjd3
Agree on replacing the trim part, ask nicely, if they say no, up it to the zone representative.
I'm not one of "those people" who expects everything, but I have to say that your answer makes it look like they're doing him a favor in replacing it. I don't see it that way. They damaged his car while it was in the shop, and they need to fix. No different than if someone backed another car into it...they are responsible to fix the damage while in their possession.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:15 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM
+1

I can't stand the face they give me "you don't want us to wash the car?!? But it's free!!!"
Most car buyers, even those of high end marques, are not as "detail oriented" (pun intended) as we are. Several local dealerships near me (BMW, Audi) offer free Saturday car washes for life. Just stop in on a Saturday and they will run it through the wash bay. People love it.

My division president bought a black Lexus. He was so happy to show it to me. All I could see was that it was covered in swirls and holograms. I pointed out one or two and he's like "what are you looking at"? This is a smart guy that I respect the hell out of. But to him, it's just not something he sees.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:47 PM
rc77
AutoX

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. The dealership has said that they will replace the trim and have ordered the replacement part. I'll comment back once I see it in the car.

Thanks again

Quick Reply: Remove scratch from interior silver trim