Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Curious how many PDK owners would go back to a manual for the next one?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 12:57 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 850 Likes on 466 Posts

Hmm after 2 PDKs I think I'd go with a manual for another P-car. My previous car was a 2014 Cayman S 6 spd which I even had a the short shift kit from the GT4 installed in....was absolutely lovely...but I traded in for my current 2013 991 S PDK and I do miss the involvement at times. Other times like heavy traffic it does get to be a PITA. Currently the 991 is almost 90%+ driven in automatic mode....unless for some reason I actually want to shift but that for some reason requires me to concentrate and remember that I can do that! LOL

If I had the choice???? A Cayman GTS in 6spd manual or Boxster GTS and my 991 S or a GTS would grace the garage if I could.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:57 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 81 Posts

If manual tranny is anywhere close to R's, I'll seriously consider it but I'm torn as not a turbo engine fan. Definitely in a GT3!
Old 10-13-2016, 08:35 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

I'll reply as I do in all these threads.

If I move out of this GTS (not a definite thing -- may keep it till I'm too old for sportscars) it will be into a manual, if said manual is a good one. I would hate to have not every lived with PDK; it's outstanding and I enjoy its manualness very much. I think the perfect trans for me would be:

A three-way gearbox. traditional H-pattern lever in the console along with clutch pedal. Button you push to disengage that clutch pedal and give control to the PDK clutches, and then, once you're in PDK mode, you get the exact experience (manual or auto) as the current PDK. This box is only operable by the paddles or auto-shift, of course, since the gearshift lever is only useable in manual clutch mode.

I'd be interested to see which option I mostly used -- clutched manual or PDK manual -- if such a thing was in my car. I can see going back and forth between the two fairly evenly, because I really do enjoy the manual function of the PDK box.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:55 PM
Peruna
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts

This is my first P car. I test drove a PDK and decided on a manual. I love it, purely personal preference. However, I daily drove it for a few weeks and bought an econobox beater very quickly.

The deciding factor for my next P car will be whether I daily drive it. I just can't do a 10+ mile stop-and-go commute in a manual. It's torture. If it's my night and weekend car, manual or bust.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:44 PM
grendel88
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I started my own company to control my commute JK a bit. But being in my 40s now, I seem to enjoying rowing through the gears more than the "wow, that's fast" PDK. However, 997 TTS and a 991 GT3 are bad cars in general for the street.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:07 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,358 Posts

Originally Posted by fester
If manual tranny is anywhere close to R's, I'll seriously consider it but I'm torn as not a turbo engine fan. Definitely in a GT3!
+1
Old 10-13-2016, 11:41 PM
Greywolf987S
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove manuals for years, then 2 years ago had a very serious accident and couldn't walk for 6 months . Switched to PDK and will not go back .
Old 10-14-2016, 11:27 AM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Can't wait to turn my MT7 in for a PDK. If it were a MT6 I might feel different.

For me the gates on the 7 are too close together yet the throw is too long and the **** is too high. Reverse should NOT be located next to 1st and the need to shift into N before I can get to 5 from 7 is ridiculous.

IMO the MT7 is not intuitive where a MT6 is. The fact that anyone ever has to even glance at the dash to ensure they are in the correct gear before releasing the clutch ruins it for me. Sure it gets easier with time and miles but after 44 years of driving manual transmissions I shouldn't have to "think" about driving this one.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:01 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
Can't wait to turn my MT7 in for a PDK. If it were a MT6 I might feel different.

For me the gates on the 7 are too close together yet the throw is too long and the **** is too high. Reverse should NOT be located next to 1st and the need to shift into N before I can get to 5 from 7 is ridiculous.

IMO the MT7 is not intuitive where a MT6 is. The fact that anyone ever has to even glance at the dash to ensure they are in the correct gear before releasing the clutch ruins it for me. Sure it gets easier with time and miles but after 44 years of driving manual transmissions I shouldn't have to "think" about driving this one.
Hmm, love the MT6 in my Cayman so hope I can adjust to the MT7. I've seen some noise about it in other threads, but the professional reviewers seem to love it. It's too late now to make a change as the car is in production.

Like you, I've been driving manuals for years.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:17 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

another manual vs PDK debate that has no right answer.

if I have to sell one of my 911, then I will definitely sell the PDK one and keep manual.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:29 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 263 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by midcont
I think this is pretty close but I'd amend it to:
Daily traffic-PDK
Almost all track-PDK
Daily with little to no traffic/weekend-MT

I'm a MT guy, 38 so I don't think its a generational thing either. I fall into the third category (daily).
I do wonder what % of the time PDK guys drive in "manual" mode.
39 and I drive almost exclusively in manual mode.
Originally Posted by The Fat Kid
^This, from another 38 year old

I am in manual mode + paddles 99% of the time.

I would have gone either way (manual v PDK) on the C2S, but would lean heavily toward manual if we end up in the 'burbs and look for a weekend toy.
What's up Fat Kid?? We need more pics of your yellow beauty!
Old 10-14-2016, 01:42 PM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

Old school 6 speed like in the 911R or in the 997's yes for sure!
Old 10-14-2016, 01:51 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 126 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteJav
Old school 6 speed like in the 911R or in the 997's yes for sure!
The 7MT already is this--they've explained that it's the same gearbox, just with 7th removed for weight reasons (and probably marketing).

Someone explained here somewhere how simple it is to just ignore 7th--and it really is. Drive it like a 6 speed, and the lockout works in your favor. You will never accidentally shift into 7th remember--if you are what gear is it from and under what conditions did you ever miss-shift to 7th?

Now reverse, that's another story. I have no issue with it's location, I just wish it had a push-down gate like Audi uses. I've shifted over to R once or twice when quickly trying to get down to 2nd. (not that you end up in R, but you can't pull "down" and it's confusing, and dangerous if you did go up)
Old 10-15-2016, 12:17 AM
Gr8ful1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always had 3 pedal cars. Wanted the a Pcar with 3 also but didn't want to a order a 991.2 and found a perfectly spec"d C2S but with PDK. I miss the manual but am starting to enjoy the "Sport and Sport+ modesof the PDK. As previously said the auto mode shifts way to low in rpm when not applying wot. I think I would go back to manual if given the choice. Just in my blood.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:10 AM
Stevie
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When going for test drives before my purchase from my last manual (Cayman S), I noticed everyone in the passenger seats that I test drove (M3, S5, Carrera S) were jarred forward to the point of ridiculousness due to their higher torque motors. This was just one of many reason I chose PDK. The others included:
- Faster track times
- Increased track focus
- Flexiblility (road and track)
- Minimal chance of over rev on my new expensive motor
- Variable performance personality
- Love that kick-down button always at my beckoned call
- Love the hill lock feature (I live on a big hill)
- My bulged L5, L6, L7 doesn't miss the clutch pedal
- Love the smile on my face when I perform F1 downshifts with the Sports Exhaust

I only wish:
- It would remain in the last mode (Sports/Manual or otherwise) that I selected the next time I start the engine
- Have an extra closer ratio gear or two

Notwithstanding, a manual transmission does provide that singularity of purpose that can only be felt when one chooses not to shift until the reline is reached. And it is just sublime when getting that expected kick in the pants when you drop the clutch just so, at that perfect moment. Where the PDK is always little surprising when it shifts.

_Steve

Quick Reply: Curious how many PDK owners would go back to a manual for the next one?