Sponsored by:

Lowered on 20s

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 05:20 PM
amre
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lowered on 20s

I'm about to get the TechArt springs installed on my 991.2 this week. I know they don't lower the car much and from what I've heard, the ride quality will remain substantially unaffected. In the meantime, I'm also shopping forged wheels and I was thinking of going to 19s (19x9 and 19x12) to compensate for the ride quality.

To those of you that have either a lowered 991 or a 991.2 with SPASM on 20s. How's the ride? Has anyone gone from 19 to 20 or vise versa and noticed a difference?

I'd love to hear some feedback. Thanks.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:36 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

My vehicle was ordered with 20's and spasm. Everybody's tolerance meter will be different but my experience is nothing short of wonderful. The car is firm enough for track duty and compliant enough for a DD.
There is little to no body roll partly due to the spasm swaybars. I think porsche has engineered it near perfect. If there is one thing missing it would be a hydronic steering rack. Would like to bring back some of the feel from the 997. Not a deal killer but there is a little loss in road feedback that is felt through the hands.
Both the looks and performance are affected by spasm. I personally would order porsche parts over aftermarket but have heard good things about the TA.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:44 AM
Cristophosphorus
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
My vehicle was ordered with 20's and spasm. Everybody's tolerance meter will be different but my experience is nothing short of wonderful. The car is firm enough for track duty and compliant enough for a DD.
There is little to no body roll partly due to the spasm swaybars. I think porsche has engineered it near perfect. If there is one thing missing it would be a hydronic steering rack. Would like to bring back some of the feel from the 997. Not a deal killer but there is a little loss in road feedback that is felt through the hands.
Both the looks and performance are affected by spasm. I personally would order porsche parts over aftermarket but have heard good things about the TA.
+1, I also specced SPASM. I'm sure that aftermarket lowering springs feel a bit different, but SPASM is extremely doable for daily driving in LA. I'm sure you'll be okay, especially with TechArts.

I asked the same question years ago because I wanted lowering springs, too, and got similar answers. Most owners said that they were happy with it. While "a bit more stiff," it was still "compliant" according to them.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:57 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine is a SPASM car that had the 20's...now has 19's.
Everything is fine...same good ride & handling, don't feel there is much of a difference:
Old 09-27-2016, 09:36 AM
amre
Advanced

Thanks all for the feedback. To those with SPASM, how is the ground clearance in parking lots with speed bumps? My previous car (Maserati Ghibli) was lowered with Formula Dynamics springs and I had a heck of a time clearing any speed bump!

My biggest fear with adding aftermarket springs to the 991 is the fear of messing up an already excellent ride in lieu of a slightly better stance. I don't see any other reason (for me) to add the springs.

I already bought them and have an installation appointment tomorrow but I'm getting ice cold feet!
Old 09-27-2016, 10:02 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by amre
Thanks all for the feedback. To those with SPASM, how is the ground clearance in parking lots with speed bumps? My previous car (Maserati Ghibli) was lowered with Formula Dynamics springs and I had a heck of a time clearing any speed bump!

My biggest fear with adding aftermarket springs to the 991 is the fear of messing up an already excellent ride in lieu of a slightly better stance. I don't see any other reason (for me) to add the springs.

I already bought them and have an installation appointment tomorrow but I'm getting ice cold feet!
Funny you say that. My wife has a Maserati Ghibli. Porsche is leaps and bounds better over speed bumps than a stock suspension Ghibli. Ghibli bottoms out on what seems to be the front control arm or the under carriage over speed bumps. SPASM Porsche exhibits no such behavior at moderate speeds. Anything less than a slow roll over a speed bump and the Ghibli makes contact every time. Annoyingly so.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:07 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by Cristophosphorus
+1, I also specced SPASM. I'm sure that aftermarket lowering springs feel a bit different, but SPASM is extremely doable for daily driving in LA. I'm sure you'll be okay, especially with TechArts.

I asked the same question years ago because I wanted lowering springs, too, and got similar answers. Most owners said that they were happy with it. While "a bit more stiff," it was still "compliant" according to them.
You have great taste in cars. love the way you specked your.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:49 AM
amre
Advanced

Funny you say that. My wife has a Maserati Ghibli. Porsche is leaps and bounds better over speed bumps than a stock suspension Ghibli. Ghibli bottoms out on what seems to be the front control arm or the under carriage over speed bumps. SPASM Porsche exhibits no such behavior at moderate speeds. Anything less than a slow roll over a speed bump and the Ghibli makes contact every time. Annoyingly so.
Thanks for the real world comparison. Yes, the Ghibli seemed to bottom out in the front corners where the control arms would be.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:05 PM
JustBud
Race Car

Received 655 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Cristophosphorus
........Most owners said that they were happy with it. While "a bit more stiff," it was still "compliant" according to them.

Over the years of modding (using aftermarket lowering springs, coilovers, etc.) various cars from different makers. (Caveat, much lesser cars than we are speaking of here) This should read....... buy yourself a kidney belt, no more coffee drinking in the car, and women will never want to ride in it again....... I'm getting older now so YMMV.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:51 PM
porsche_love
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 991.1 C2S is lowered with Techart springs riding on 20" wheels (PASM, Sport Chrono, with dynamic engine mount). To me, ride comfort has not changed from stock, while retaining the same if not slightly better handling characteristics. Coming from e9x M3s, even lowered on 18" wheels and tires doesn't compare to the ride quality of my 991 on 20s. I am truly amazed on the how solid the ride is on the 991, never too harsh on the road, absorbs the road imperfections well, while able to take on corners like it's on rails. I was sold on this car the very first test drive...

Last edited by porsche_love; 09-27-2016 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:16 PM
amre
Advanced

Originally Posted by porsche_love
My 991.1 C2S is lowered with Techart springs riding on 20" wheels (Sport Chrono ,with dynamic engine mount), to me, ride comfort has not changed from stock, while retaining the same if not slightly better handling characteristics. Coming from e9x M3s, even lowered on 18" wheels and tires doesn't compare to the ride quality of my 991 on 20s. I am truly amazed on the how solid the ride is on the 991, never too harsh on the road, absorbs the road imperfections well, while able to take on corners like it's on rails. I was sold on this car the very first test drive...
Thank you
Old 09-27-2016, 02:03 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,867 Likes on 1,902 Posts

All personal preference, but I couldn't imagine a better stance for a 911 than what SPASM provides. Anything lower looks odd to me, but that's all personal taste. I'd be very concerned about screwing up the ride quality though, as Porsche spends years and millions of dollars engineering it just right. I have SPASM/PDCC and it's terrific as is.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:09 PM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 76 Posts

I have SPASM on my .2 and think the stance, ride and handling are spot on. I wouldn't change a thing. I also am not having problems with scraping and certainly not with bottoming out.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:15 PM
Cristophosphorus
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I haven't had any issues at all with speed bumps. I just have to make sure that driveways are all taken at an angle (something most of us do already), and to never go too deep into a parking space (to avoid screwing up the front lip).

I'd say go for it! The stance will look much better and you'll love the handling. If it's not compliant enough for your daily driving needs, you can change it back.

You have great taste in cars. love the way you specked your.

Originally Posted by JustBud
Over the years of modding (using aftermarket lowering springs, coilovers, etc.) various cars from different makers. (Caveat, much lesser cars than we are speaking of here) This should read....... buy yourself a kidney belt, no more coffee drinking in the car, and women will never want to ride in it again....... I'm getting older now so YMMV.
I totally understand. I'm sure I'll change my mind once I hit those older years, but SPASM does a great job at giving me a solid suspension setup without bothering me on my commutes. I love it. Hell, my SPASM 911 is more compliant and comfortable than our F-Type S. Ridiculous.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:35 PM
driIve
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a 991.1 with PASM, Sports chrono, etc.

I went from 20's (stock suspension), to 19's (BBS CHR w/ stock suspension), then back to 20's (HRE P101 w/ stock, then lowered w/ Eibach springs).

100% happy with the ride quality and looks of Eibach springs. The springs did settle slightly after first 10 days or so, overall it lowered the front by roughly .75 inch and rear by roughly .5 inch, which turned out to be perfect looks wise.

Ride quality changed very slightly. Car feels more planted overall and definitely hugs better through the corners. It does feel very slightly bumpier but I'm not even sure if it's in actuality or imagined since I know the car is "supposed" to feel bumpier. I would be surprised if you drive an Eibach lowered vs non lowered back to back and feel any noticeable differences.

I considered TechArt as well, but based on my research anyway that there's very minimal differences between the two. TechArt is suppose to lower slightly less than Eibach, so if you are currently on SPASM I'm not sure how much more it'll lower, if any, with TechArt. I do hear TechArt offers a more balanced stance, i.e. even lowering front and rear, which I would have liked. However I have come to enjoy the mildly low slung stance on my car due to the front between slightly lower than rear.

Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Lowered on 20s