Sponsored by:

Rear spoiler not working ... seeking advice from 991 DIYers

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 06:59 PM
RoWa
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rear spoiler not working ... seeking advice from 991 DIYers

I disassembled the rear end over the weekend, changed the air filters and cleaned the engine bay, etc. That included disconnecting and removing the rear spoiler assembly.

After I re-assembled everything, the red light on the rear spoiler control button in the center console no longer illuminates and the rear spoiler no longer functions.

I checked that the connector from the main wiring to the harness to the spoiler is connected. The rear hood release, which is mounted on the spoiler assembly, is working which would indicate that the connector is connected.

I checked the 30A fuse (Row C, position 5) which I think is the spoiler fuse; no problems there.

Before I repeat the disassembly, has anyone come across this before? ... does it require some sort of code reset?

Any advice welcome
Old 09-19-2016, 07:48 PM
satoru
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

try disconnection battery for a few mins then reconnect. otherwise try holding down spoiler button for like 30 to 60 secs with power on car.
The following 2 users liked this post by satoru:
Frykman_991.1 (03-22-2024), rcmaury (02-04-2024)
Old 09-19-2016, 08:09 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

The most likely issue is the spoiler plug connection was not fully-seated when you reconnected (well, I guess there is always a possibility that you damaged the wiring in some way, like pulling wire pins loose from the connector if you tried to pull the connector apart by yanking on the wire --- but I won't assume that you would ever do something silly like that!). I'm assuming that you remounted the spoiler properly, and nothing is jammed or binding when you attempt to raise or lower.

Oh, and just because the rear lid release works doesn't mean your spoiler connector isn't left un-connected or damaged in some way. They are two different connectors if I remember. To get to the lid release electrical connector you would've removed the spoiler. But maybe I am old and can't remember things too well!

So bottom-line, just go so far as removing tail lights, and remove the engine fans housing. You don't have to remove the rear apron to check the electrical connection for the spoiler. Might take you 15 minutes or less to check....

Have to ask: Why did you remove the spoiler in the first place? Changing oil, filters, etc. for engine and surrounding areas you only need to raise the spoiler and remove rear apron..... I don't think there would be any reason to disconnect spoiler unless you needed to remove it entirely.

Last edited by plenum; 09-19-2016 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:39 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by plenum
The most likely issue is the spoiler plug connection was not fully-seated when you reconnected (well, I guess there is always a possibility that you damaged the wiring in some way, like pulling wire pins loose from the connector if you tried to pull the connector apart by yanking on the wire --- but I won't assume that you would ever do something silly like that!). I'm assuming that you remounted the spoiler properly, and nothing is jammed or binding when you attempt to raise or lower.

Oh, and just because the rear lid release works doesn't mean your spoiler connector isn't left un-connected or damaged in some way. They are two different connectors if I remember. To get to the lid release electrical connector you would've removed the spoiler. But maybe I am old and can't remember things too well!

So bottom-line, just go so far as removing tail lights, and remove the engine fans housing. You don't have to remove the rear apron to check the electrical connection for the spoiler. Might take you 15 minutes or less to check....

Have to ask: Why did you remove the spoiler in the first place? Changing oil, filters, etc. for engine and surrounding areas you only need to raise the spoiler and remove rear apron..... I don't think there would be any reason to disconnect spoiler unless you needed to remove it entirely.
^^^^^^^This??
Old 09-20-2016, 01:05 AM
RoWa
Instructor

Thanks Jon. Got carried away watchingI had just cleaned out the radiators and put (customcar) grills in the front (thank you for the installation guide) and was feeling adventurous

Old 09-20-2016, 07:44 AM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Old 09-20-2016, 10:53 PM
RoWa
Instructor

Originally Posted by satoru
try disconnection battery for a few mins then reconnect. otherwise try holding down spoiler button for like 30 to 60 secs with power on car.
Held the spoiler button down for 30 seconds and it retracted ... perfect
Old 09-24-2016, 06:39 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by RoWa
Held the spoiler button down for 30 seconds and it retracted ... perfect
Glad you figured that out. I was just about to write that if there is no PCM fault for the rear spoiler, then it was just a button hold for 30 sec.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:34 AM
joafog
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RoWa
I disassembled the rear end over the weekend, changed the air filters and cleaned the engine bay, etc. That included disconnecting and removing the rear spoiler assembly.

After I re-assembled everything, the red light on the rear spoiler control button in the center console no longer illuminates and the rear spoiler no longer functions.

I checked that the connector from the main wiring to the harness to the spoiler is connected. The rear hood release, which is mounted on the spoiler assembly, is working which would indicate that the connector is connected.

I checked the 30A fuse (Row C, position 5) which I think is the spoiler fuse; no problems there.

Before I repeat the disassembly, has anyone come across this before? ... does it require some sort of code reset?

Any advice welcome
Hi

Interested how you removed the rear spoiler assembly??

Joacim
Old 10-11-2016, 09:30 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by joafog
Hi

Interested how you removed the rear spoiler assembly??

Joacim
In the video posted in this thread.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:34 PM
joafog
AutoX

Originally Posted by R_Rated
In the video posted in this thread.
Can't see what screws they dismantle!! 🤔🤔
Is it totally six screws and then lift the spoiler?

Joacim
Old 10-11-2016, 02:15 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by joafog
Can't see what screws they dismantle!! 🤔🤔
Is it totally six screws and then lift the spoiler?

Joacim
The video skips over that.... there are 2 screws on each side, and the screws along the top bumper cover. See my blog post for more details: How to remove rear spoiler.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:40 PM
joafog
AutoX

The video skips over that.... there are 2 screws on each side, and the screws along the top bumper cover. See my blog post for more details: How to remove rear spoiler.
Thanks
Old 03-22-2024, 09:59 PM
Frykman_991.1
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had the same issue today. The 30-second procedure resolved it!

Quick Reply: Rear spoiler not working ... seeking advice from 991 DIYers