Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission issue new 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 05:56 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 145 Posts

dealers are not going to do anything about it unless your car has triggered a code.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:13 PM
Plimpington2
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 9914s
dealers are not going to do anything about it unless your car has triggered a code.
hmm, seems like a lousy policy. . .
Old 09-18-2016, 07:28 PM
Plimpington2
Advanced

I've been reading a bit and it seems like this could be "clutch chatter". Has anybody heard of this? Results when either clutch is faulty or the fly wheel is over-machined or has "hot spots". When the clutch engages a non-flat surface, it grabs in non-linier fashion resulting in a rough interface until the clutch comes up to speed (like the surfaces of tectonic plates sliding past each other in non-linier - grab, release, grab, release - way resulting in an earth quake).

This sounds like what this is. Ironically, I wonder if this may actually get better with time as I wear the clutch and flywheel down so they interface to each other better. Hmm.

judd
Old 09-18-2016, 10:00 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Plimpington2
I've been reading a bit and it seems like this could be "clutch chatter". Has anybody heard of this? Results when either clutch is faulty or the fly wheel is over-machined or has "hot spots". When the clutch engages a non-flat surface, it grabs in non-linier fashion resulting in a rough interface until the clutch comes up to speed (like the surfaces of tectonic plates sliding past each other in non-linier - grab, release, grab, release - way resulting in an earth quake).

This sounds like what this is. Ironically, I wonder if this may actually get better with time as I wear the clutch and flywheel down so they interface to each other better. Hmm.

judd
Could also be mechanical. In the past I have upgraded clutch parts in an attemt to counter higher hp output from additional boost and torque. Only to find out that the weak spot seemed to be the clutch disk springs. Finally I upgraded to a springless six puck bronze ceramic clutch disk. The chatter was terrible with anything less than a fethering of the clutch. It did solve the mechanical noises coming from the bell housing though. I'm a firm believer that springs don't belong on a 400 plus hp clutch disk.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:53 AM
991Esq
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I test drove a 991.2 C4S a few months ago and it had the same problem with the clutch. I am coming out of a MT M4 and it was a very smooth engagement with no noises. Drove the 991.2 for about 20 miles and could never get a low speed smooth engagement. SA took me to the head mechanic and he tried to explain its related to all the electronic and mechanical driver aids (PTV etc.). I bought a PDK. So far so good.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:23 PM
Plimpington2
Advanced

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
Could also be mechanical. In the past I have upgraded clutch parts in an attemt to counter higher hp output from additional boost and torque. Only to find out that the weak spot seemed to be the clutch disk springs. Finally I upgraded to a springless six puck bronze ceramic clutch disk. The chatter was terrible with anything less than a fethering of the clutch. It did solve the mechanical noises coming from the bell housing though. I'm a firm believer that springs don't belong on a 400 plus hp clutch disk.
Ok, so I tok it to the dealer yesterday. He drove it around the parking lot (which is all you need to do to reproduce the issue) and he SEEMED to know exactly what it was. He says it is certainly the clutch springs. This DOES sound right, I guess. On quick engage and disengage (ie. when "under load") these springs simply make a lot of noise. If you let up on accelerator for about 1/2 second prior to engaging clutch, this noise does not occur.

He also said it will go away as the springs stretch. This to me sounds wrong. In fact, if it IS the clutch springs, I would expect them make MORE noise as they stretch. Who knows. I will say this, if it IS the clutch springs, I guess a clutch from a different manufacturer would improve matters. But that's a $4000 proposition. Still, it is the ONLY thing I don't like about the car - I CAN NOT express how unbelievable the power delivery of this car is. And the traction on the road is INSANE. But it is significant enough that it takes away part of my happiness unless I have the stereo on so I can't hear it.

I have many thoughts on this, my first, Porsche, that I will present in a 5000 mile review. My point of reference will be a Mk7 GTI (manual), a 2015 Mercedes E350 and a 2017 Mercedes GLE 350.

Judd
Old 09-21-2016, 04:04 AM
drgek
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
I hear a pronounced mechanical click during down shifting the PDK in manual mode. Up shifts are silent.

Checked with dealer and supposedly it's normal.

Others care to disagree?
My wife's Macan made a clicking noise during downshifts, though not limited to manual mode. It then started throwing transmission fault codes and would intermittently refuse to engage reverse. Her transmission was replaced under warranty.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:48 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Plimpington2
Ok, so I tok it to the dealer yesterday. He drove it around the parking lot (which is all you need to do to reproduce the issue) and he SEEMED to know exactly what it was. He says it is certainly the clutch springs. This DOES sound right, I guess. On quick engage and disengage (ie. when "under load") these springs simply make a lot of noise. If you let up on accelerator for about 1/2 second prior to engaging clutch, this noise does not occur.

He also said it will go away as the springs stretch. This to me sounds wrong. In fact, if it IS the clutch springs, I would expect them make MORE noise as they stretch. Who knows. I will say this, if it IS the clutch springs, I guess a clutch from a different manufacturer would improve matters. But that's a $4000 proposition. Still, it is the ONLY thing I don't like about the car - I CAN NOT express how unbelievable the power delivery of this car is. And the traction on the road is INSANE. But it is significant enough that it takes away part of my happiness unless I have the stereo on so I can't hear it.

I have many thoughts on this, my first, Porsche, that I will present in a 5000 mile review. My point of reference will be a Mk7 GTI (manual), a 2015 Mercedes E350 and a 2017 Mercedes GLE 350.

Judd
Thankfully my current GTS doesn't suffer the noise. Might be because of the lower and smoother onset of torque of the N/A is a little softer on the parts.
I'm surprised your dealer mentioned a break in period for the spring. I usually see them break and fall out. Since there are 4 to 6 springs on the disk. If you loose a couple, the clutch disk starts to make metal on metal noises. Its very common on high torque application that use springs on the clutch disk.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:11 AM
2019CarreraT
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plimpinton2- has the original issue been resolved?

I have a 2019 Carrera T with what sounds like the same issue but mine happens periodically when depressing clutching, in first gear going slow. I essentially hear and feel a “clunk” from transmission. My car is still in the break in period with 1200 miles. It doesn’t sound nor feel assuring. Any other experiences and fixes welcome.
Old 10-17-2019, 02:18 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts
Default dealer is an idiot

100 plus k car should make no noise when shifting ever when new. Try another dealer or pcna.
The following users liked this post:
2019CarreraT (10-17-2019)
Old 09-10-2022, 03:13 AM
PhilSea
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

This is an old thread but I thought I'll reply to this as I have 2017 C4S MT and I experience exactly the same symptoms, very frustrating. The dealership replaced the dual-mass flywheel and the clutch. Result: it did NOT resolve the issue. I am speechless.
Old 09-10-2022, 12:17 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 489 Posts

2015 911 Carrera 4 GTS - the manual is as smooth as silk and I am used to listening for noises having spent a lot of time in cockpits.
Old 09-11-2022, 06:23 PM
IWOA911
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Driving old VWs also sharpens your hearing for such noises.
The following users liked this post:
SFZ GT3 (09-12-2022)
Old 09-11-2022, 06:36 PM
PhilSea
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

So other than reading how great and how flawless are your gearboxes do you have any advice where to look at? Not the DMF, not the clutch, a flex maybe? Gearbox mounts? Internal slack in the gearbox? Cables?
Old 09-11-2022, 06:43 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilSea
The dealership replaced the dual-mass flywheel and the clutch. Result: it did NOT resolve the issue.
Did they replace them upon your recommendation or theirs? If it was the dealership's recommendation, let them swallow the bill or do they not know how to diagnose problems especially when they have the facilities?

Have you been under the car to check the items you suggested?

Quick Reply: Transmission issue new 991.2