Sponsored by:

Pending purchase thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 08:23 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
Well, for better or for worse, got bored at work today and decided to buy 2016 GTS with a little less than 5k miles on the clock. Here's the specs:
-7MT (a must for me)
-SPASM (YES!)
-PDCC (didn't want)
-GTS interior package, with alcantara (which I really didn't want)
-18-way seats (best fit for my body)
-ParkAssist
-Glass roof (didn't want)
-LED headlights (standard ones look best)
-Burmester (very happy about this too)
-Premium Package

The only thing missing from my so-called wish list is PCCB (although I really like the more discreet red calipers with the black rims) and GT Silver. I guess I'm back in black after saying I'd never own another black car multiple times in the past. I have silver and gray cars now but actually miss my last black M5.

Not a fan for the black wheels on a black car look so there may be some changes in store for those wheels (plus I hate how they rob them off the TTS). Also was looking forward to non-black interior but that will have to wait because this has black seats and trim (black brush aluminum).

I am OCD and worried about dealing with the non-metallic black. I'm also hoping that I don't hate the Alcantara dust collecting fake suede material on seats and steering wheel (my order new wheel in leather).
Stressing about whether or not the car was cared for and broken in properly. Good thing is that it's CPO with warranty through mid-2021, and based on my car history it will be long gone before that.

Got an okay deal but really bought it for that engine. Hope that I won't be sorry for not ordering new 991.2 but at least I'll know what it's like to own a GTS.

(Quick side note: My latest thinking was to find a late model 997. I have a friend who's a die-hard Porsche fan/owner and he believes that the 997 was a more fun and more pure Porsche, mainly due to steering I guess. He begged me to try one before I bought the 991 but I gave up my search after not finding any nearby.)

Sales associate tells me that Porsche cars do not require initial break-in service. Is her correct? Every high performance car that I've ever had required a break-in service but perhaps Porsche is different.
What is Porsche's break-in procedure?

Here are a couple of pictures with more to follow after delivery, paint correction and wax. Thanks again for the advice, and look forward to contributing to forum.
Love your boredom solution!!!!

Congratulations on obtaining a fine GTS vehicle!

Mine's been in the shop for 2 full days already, to fix pesky rattles (passenger seat folding latches and vanity mirror). I miss my Rumble Bee and hope to get her back soon.

Anyway, post more pics and the alcantara seats are super cool and grippy. Wish I had those AND ventilation but we can't have it all.

Get the sports exhaust if you don't have it and prepare to go deaf
Old 09-22-2016, 09:15 AM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
Love your boredom solution!!!!

Congratulations on obtaining a fine GTS vehicle!

Mine's been in the shop for 2 full days already, to fix pesky rattles (passenger seat folding latches and vanity mirror). I miss my Rumble Bee and hope to get her back soon.

Anyway, post more pics and the alcantara seats are super cool and grippy. Wish I had those AND ventilation but we can't have it all.

Get the sports exhaust if you don't have it and prepare to go deaf
Thanks. Good luck with them fixing your rattles. Am 100% against the Alcantara but maybe experience with it will change my mind. I thought the GTS comes standard with sport exhaust.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:31 AM
go.illini
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

Powerkit comes with sport exhaust and center radiator as part of the package. PSE will not show up on the build sheet.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:52 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Well, for better or for worse, got bored at work today and decided to buy 2016 GTS with a little less than 5k miles on the clock. Here's the specs:
-7MT (a must for me)
-SPASM (YES!)
-PDCC (didn't want)
-GTS interior package, with alcantara (which I really didn't want)
-18-way seats (best fit for my body)
-ParkAssist
-Glass roof (didn't want)
-LED headlights (standard ones look best)
-Burmester (very happy about this too)
-Premium Package

The only thing missing from my so-called wish list is PCCB (although I really like the more discreet red calipers with the black rims) and GT Silver. I guess I'm back in black after saying I'd never own another black car multiple times in the past. I have silver and gray cars now but actually miss my last black M5.

Not a fan for the black wheels on a black car look so there may be some changes in store for those wheels (plus I hate how they rob them off the TTS). Also was looking forward to non-black interior but that will have to wait because this has black seats and trim (black brush aluminum).

I am OCD and worried about dealing with the non-metallic black. I'm also hoping that I don't hate the Alcantara dust collecting fake suede material on seats and steering wheel (my order new wheel in leather).
Stressing about whether or not the car was cared for and broken in properly. Good thing is that it's CPO with warranty through mid-2021, and based on my car history it will be long gone before that.

Got an okay deal but really bought it for that engine. Hope that I won't be sorry for not ordering new 991.2 but at least I'll know what it's like to own a GTS.

(Quick side note: My latest thinking was to find a late model 997. I have a friend who's a die-hard Porsche fan/owner and he believes that the 997 was a more fun and more pure Porsche, mainly due to steering I guess. He begged me to try one before I bought the 991 but I gave up my search after not finding any nearby.)

Sales associate tells me that Porsche cars do not require initial break-in service. Is her correct? Every high performance car that I've ever had required a break-in service but perhaps Porsche is different.
What is Porsche's break-in procedure?

Here are a couple of pictures with more to follow after delivery, paint correction and wax. Thanks again for the advice, and look forward to contributing to forum.
Congrats!!! Looks amazing!
Old 09-22-2016, 11:54 AM
JustBud
Race Car

Received 654 Likes on 378 Posts

You know, those Spyder wheels in matte black are really growing on me. To break up all the black, I'm thinking about having lip machined like those on 997 GTS. What do you think?
In a word no, for me the machined lip looks terrible. It looks like you can't park your car without hitting the curb.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:00 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JustBud
In a word no, for me the machined lip looks terrible. It looks like you can't park your car without hitting the curb.
Yeh that is a strange look but I like it. It's either that or perhaps machine the entire surface of the wheel making it look similar to TTS... IDK, plan on living with it for a while before making any changes. Originally I was planning on a new set of BBS FIs but I spent so much for this car that I may not want to spend so much more for yet another set of wheels. For the most part, I tend to like my cars close to stock. I notice there are very few Porsches on the road with non-OEM wheels. Is this taboo in the Porsche world or am I wrong?
Old 09-22-2016, 07:26 PM
JustBud
Race Car

Received 654 Likes on 378 Posts

Yeh that is a strange look but I like it. It's either that or perhaps machine the entire surface of the wheel making it look similar to TTS... IDK, plan on living with it for a while before making any changes. Originally I was planning on a new set of BBS FIs but I spent so much for this car that I may not want to spend so much more for yet another set of wheels. For the most part, I tend to like my cars close to stock. I notice there are very few Porsches on the road with non-OEM wheels. Is this taboo in the Porsche world or am I wrong?
By the way, I think your car looks the business the way it sits. As to the question of OEM wheels, I prefer the factory wheel options. They have become much more cohesive with the design of the car over the years, in fact, far better than the aftermarket in my opinion. (I will say that I am in my 50's so maybe i'm just an old crotchety grump.)
Old 09-22-2016, 08:01 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Thanks. Good luck with them fixing your rattles. Am 100% against the Alcantara but maybe experience with it will change my mind. I thought the GTS comes standard with sport exhaust.
Pick up is tomorrow, I can't wait!

Don't change the wheels, I love the OEM look, save the $6k or more and put that towards premium fuel and lots of happy (s)miles!

Car looks beyond sharp as it it, IMHO of course...
Old 09-23-2016, 12:10 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

At the risk of repeating myself (can't remember if I already posted this in this thread or another, and not going back through 5 pages to check!), if you're going to pull the wheels and do something to them, it's easy to get them painted by a quality wheel painting shop.

My experience here (and again, apologies if I've already linked this; hate to be "that guy". ) https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9376...gt-silver.html

This is GT Silver, but it'd be easy to go with a darker-but-not-black color too to get definition but still have the effect of a dark wheel.

Congrats on a nice find. I suspect you won't stay in it long, given all the compromises it represents against what you ideally would have spec'd (exterior color, wheel color, interior color, interior material, ducktail), but like you point out, it gives you a chance to live with the 9A1 x51 7M option in a nearly-new package. If you find you love it, you can always find a babied one closer to your spec over the next year or so.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:20 AM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

NoGaBiker:

Thank you very much for the link and sharing your car. New around here otherwise I would've likely stumbled upon it because those wheels look superb, particularly on your car. And as you know I'm a fan of GTSM color!
Your car is now unique. I've never liked the murdered out look on cars but will give it a shot for a while and see how I feel next year.

I've test driven so many 991.2s lately that I'm incredibly looking forward to driving the GTS for comparison, plus I've never driven one! I know I'm taking a gamble here and hope my instincts are correct but figure if I'm wrong I won't get too hurt trading for a new GTS if/when it ever presents itself.
If nothing else in my life I'm a PRO at losing lots of dough on cars.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:49 AM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

These are my all-time favorite wheels. Since I can't have them in centerlock I may finish the stock GTS wheels exactly like these.

Old 09-23-2016, 12:37 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

horseshoe, I'm not sure if the above is Platinum Satin or not -- Porsche loves to use that as a standard color on fancy wheels for fancy cars, i.e. GT3, GT4. But it's often optional on various wheels as well. The above color on the spyders looks too light, but it's hard to be sure in photos. At any rate, here's a thread I started trying to figure out how to replicate the GT3 wheel color on my CLs.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9182...b5-wheels.html
Old 09-23-2016, 01:02 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Recently had a wheel repaired and the company that did it told me that he had it repaired to factory spec and that he had access to the exact OEM colors/specs.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:40 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Yes, they all think that is the case. It's just that Porsche doesn't publish that paint code anywhere that my painters were able to find. If you read through that linked thread, you will see that it is a much bigger challenge than simply going to a wheel painter who claims to have all the paint codes.

For instance, in 2012, 13 and 14, Porsche offered a body paint called platinum. The wheel painters will think they have found the right code because they find platinum. But it is nothing remotely like the platinum satin on the GT3 and other wheels.

Last edited by NoGaBiker; 09-23-2016 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:32 PM
AFX1
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations and there is nothing like ownership for a few thousand miles to sharpen the options appetite. Makes the next 911 purchase much easier!
Have you considered swopping out the orange front side markers for clear?

Quick Reply: Pending purchase thoughts