Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pending purchase thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 12:37 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

Thank you all very much for weighing in here. Yes, there is something to be said for building the car exactly as you like. After 25 years of buying new cars every 2-3 years mostly ordered to spec, I'm to the point where I'm disgusted from losing so much money each and every time. Full disclosure: Recently dumped 3x generous budget to restore/add on to a hundred-year-old colonial. (If you're considering something similar, take my advice and do not do it!)
So I think used is the way to go for me this time around.

Now I would feel differently if I were totally in love with new 991.2. Problem here is that I'm forced to make too many compromises. Spending so much for a new one right now would be totally warranted if I could have my following dream build (derived from test driving an embarrassing quantity of 991.2 models over the past couple weeks):
-Base engine
-7MT
-attractive rear-end from 4
-rear wheel drive
-sport suspension
-torque vectoring
-sport exhaust with sport tailpipes (no oversized center tailpipes)
-PCCB
-no sunroof
-no LEDs
-full leather

A quick aside, none of the cars tested had PDCC so I can't make a personal judgement call on it.

Since I can't get this build I've decided to keep looking for a used GTS.
Cannot believe how many (2015-16) there are on the market right now. My latest count is about 50, mostly with PDK. Many are priced to sell too. (Sort of makes me a little nervous like there's something wrong with them but I know this isn't the case.)
Those without PDK seem to mainly have aerokit cup which I despise and is a deal breaker. There were two that I was interested in but were sold.
My plan is to give it a few more weeks of hardcore searching and see what happens.

Roughly, here's what I'm looking for in GTS:
-2016 preferably
-Silver, black or gray preferably
-7MT
-Sport Suspension
-PCCB preferably
-Full leather (although I'm not a fan of alcantara anywhere except headliner I would live with it on seating surface and steering wheel)
-18-way seats preferably
-Aerokit or no aerokit somewhat indifferent
-Sunroof, none preferably
-Wheels, indifferent here because I plan to get BBS FIs for this ride
Old 09-15-2016, 12:46 PM
Geiss
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Youre going to have to make compromises. It's obvious you have chosen the path of most resistance, perhaps to delay purchase? It seems you're not sure if you even want a car right now.

http://www.zimbrickeuropean.com/vehicle-details/2016-porsche-911-2dr-cpe-carrera-gts-madison-wi-id-11808052
Old 09-15-2016, 01:09 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Geiss
Youre going to have to make compromises. It's obvious you have chosen the path of most resistance, perhaps to delay purchase? It seems you're not sure if you even want a car right now.

http://www.zimbrickeuropean.com/vehi...wi-id-11808052
Yup, that's my life story choosing the path of most resistance. You are good at reading people, and good find, thanks for the link. Sort of stalling because seems like each path is plagued with compromise. Hard to pass up 991.2 with so many improvements. Hard to buy new C2S with turbo lag (particularly with 7MT, if I were in market for PDK I think this is almost a non-issue).

Worked with them last week trying to put together a deal. They will only take a little off MSRP and I didn't feel like it was enough considering there are so many used ones out there with very few miles and CPO selling for much less. I might try this one again as it checks almost all boxes except a biggie for me which is sport suspension. What is the verdict on the fixed rear wing? Are they desirable in Porsche community or frowned upon? I tend to like clean design of automatic spoiler. I wonder which is more effective.

Last edited by bluehorseshoe; 09-15-2016 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 04:44 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,436 Likes on 2,246 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
Yup, that's my life story choosing the path of most resistance. You are good at reading people, and good find, thanks for the link. Sort of stalling because seems like each path is plagued with compromise. Hard to pass up 991.2 with so many improvements. Hard to buy new C2S with turbo lag (particularly with 7MT, if I were in market for PDK I think this is almost a non-issue).

Worked with them last week trying to put together a deal. They will only take a little off MSRP and I didn't feel like it was enough considering there are so many used ones out there with very few miles and CPO selling for much less. I might try this one again as it checks almost all boxes except a biggie for me which is sport suspension. What is the verdict on the fixed rear wing? Are they desirable in Porsche community or frowned upon? I tend to like clean design of automatic spoiler. I wonder which is more effective.
as with everything some love the duck (or cup) wing, some dont... pretty certain that the duck/cup wing provides more DF than the std spoiler, but they will also increase drag vs std when not deployed.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:09 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

What is the verdict on the fixed rear wing? Are they desirable in Porsche community or frowned upon? I tend to like clean design of automatic spoiler. I wonder which is more effective.
I can't imagine the actual effectiveness will come into play in your life, if there even is any. It certainly won't matter as much as how the rear end looks with or without it, so I'd say go solely with what your eye thinks.

The correct answer, of course, is GTS, Ducktail, retrofitted with GTS black grill (which doesn't come on GTS Ducktails).

Proof that this is the best choice? If it wasn't, it wouldn't be what I had, now would it?

Last edited by NoGaBiker; 09-15-2016 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:31 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm just very surprised that by now a power kit on the 991.2 would have materialized. Makes me think and wonder if and whether the gts will be deployed. To many barriers crossed for porsche. FI is quickly becoming a real balancing act. To many turbo models can spoil the bunch.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:44 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Speed Yellow GTS! Yes!! :reckon: Very nice, just wouldn't have the courage myself to own a yellow Porsche.
Looking through every source possible to find a GTS even considering Lava Orange. Found near perfect black 2016 but it has Aerokit CUP. Can't do it, destroys look of back end. I'm sure it's functional but 2 wings looks horrendous. Although I have to say the look of the Aerokit has grown on me.

Buy the Aerokit Cup. I'll buy a standard rear spoiler for you and we can trade

Easy swap!
Old 09-16-2016, 02:38 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 721 Likes on 391 Posts

Thank you all very much for weighing in here. Yes, there is something to be said for building the car exactly as you like. After 25 years of buying new cars every 2-3 years mostly ordered to spec, I'm to the point where I'm disgusted from losing so much money each and every time. Full disclosure: Recently dumped 3x generous budget to restore/add on to a hundred-year-old colonial. (If you're considering something similar, take my advice and do not do it!)
So I think used is the way to go for me this time around.

Now I would feel differently if I were totally in love with new 991.2. Problem here is that I'm forced to make too many compromises. Spending so much for a new one right now would be totally warranted if I could have my following dream build (derived from test driving an embarrassing quantity of 991.2 models over the past couple weeks):
-Base engine
-7MT
-attractive rear-end from 4
-rear wheel drive
-sport suspension
-torque vectoring
-sport exhaust with sport tailpipes (no oversized center tailpipes)
-PCCB
-no sunroof
-no LEDs
-full leather

A quick aside, none of the cars tested had PDCC so I can't make a personal judgement call on it.

Since I can't get this build I've decided to keep looking for a used GTS.
Cannot believe how many (2015-16) there are on the market right now. My latest count is about 50, mostly with PDK. Many are priced to sell too. (Sort of makes me a little nervous like there's something wrong with them but I know this isn't the case.)
Those without PDK seem to mainly have aerokit cup which I despise and is a deal breaker. There were two that I was interested in but were sold.
My plan is to give it a few more weeks of hardcore searching and see what happens.

Roughly, here's what I'm looking for in GTS:
-2016 preferably
-Silver, black or gray preferably
-7MT
-Sport Suspension
-PCCB preferably
-Full leather (although I'm not a fan of alcantara anywhere except headliner I would live with it on seating surface and steering wheel)
-18-way seats preferably
-Aerokit or no aerokit somewhat indifferent
-Sunroof, none preferably
-Wheels, indifferent here because I plan to get BBS FIs for this ride
Why not get the 991 GTS you want and just take it to a body shop to ditch the aerokit rear? Should be easy enough using OEM parts and to reprogram the spoiler. As a few have said you're not going to get perfection unless you order the car and if you can find what 90% of the options you want then why not grab a CPO. Heck what you saved on a new vehicle you can add PCCB and probably a lot of things you want. My CPO 991S came with a sunroof but I really liked the other moon-roof option. so I recently went to my Service manager and his Master Tech and we got it swapped out for a moon-roof...added PSE controls to an Akrapovic exhaust and yes it has cost me a bit of $$ but nothing outrageous and the car is now closer to what I want and would have purchased/ordered. Just food for thought man.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:09 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Default Purchasing 2016 GTS

Well, for better or for worse, got bored at work today and decided to buy 2016 GTS with a little less than 5k miles on the clock. Here's the specs:
-7MT (a must for me)
-SPASM (YES!)
-PDCC (didn't want)
-GTS interior package, with alcantara (which I really didn't want)
-18-way seats (best fit for my body)
-ParkAssist
-Glass roof (didn't want)
-LED headlights (standard ones look best)
-Burmester (very happy about this too)
-Premium Package

The only thing missing from my so-called wish list is PCCB (although I really like the more discreet red calipers with the black rims) and GT Silver. I guess I'm back in black after saying I'd never own another black car multiple times in the past. I have silver and gray cars now but actually miss my last black M5.

Not a fan for the black wheels on a black car look so there may be some changes in store for those wheels (plus I hate how they rob them off the TTS). Also was looking forward to non-black interior but that will have to wait because this has black seats and trim (black brush aluminum).

I am OCD and worried about dealing with the non-metallic black. I'm also hoping that I don't hate the Alcantara dust collecting fake suede material on seats and steering wheel (my order new wheel in leather).
Stressing about whether or not the car was cared for and broken in properly. Good thing is that it's CPO with warranty through mid-2021, and based on my car history it will be long gone before that.

Got an okay deal but really bought it for that engine. Hope that I won't be sorry for not ordering new 991.2 but at least I'll know what it's like to own a GTS.

(Quick side note: My latest thinking was to find a late model 997. I have a friend who's a die-hard Porsche fan/owner and he believes that the 997 was a more fun and more pure Porsche, mainly due to steering I guess. He begged me to try one before I bought the 991 but I gave up my search after not finding any nearby.)

Sales associate tells me that Porsche cars do not require initial break-in service. Is her correct? Every high performance car that I've ever had required a break-in service but perhaps Porsche is different.
What is Porsche's break-in procedure?

Here are a couple of pictures with more to follow after delivery, paint correction and wax. Thanks again for the advice, and look forward to contributing to forum.
Attached Images   
Old 09-21-2016, 10:15 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

A few more pics...
Attached Images    
Old 09-21-2016, 10:27 PM
Plimpington2
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Regarding break-in service, my dealer handed me the keys to a brand new 991.2 and said, "come
back in 10,000 miles". I hope he's right.

btw, love those wheels. I like those way better than the "turbo" wheels on mine.

Judd
Old 09-22-2016, 12:33 AM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Plimpington2
Regarding break-in service, my dealer handed me the keys to a brand new 991.2 and said, "come
back in 10,000 miles". I hope he's right.

btw, love those wheels. I like those way better than the "turbo" wheels on mine.
Judd
Haha lots of props due to the obsessed Porsche engineers.

You know, those Spyder wheels in matte black are really growing on me. To break up all the black, I'm thinking about having lip machined like those on 997 GTS. What do you think?

Old 09-22-2016, 12:56 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 721 Likes on 391 Posts

Congrats!
Old 09-22-2016, 01:27 AM
FiveRiversGTS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations.
Great Color Choice! But I am biased!
Enjoy!
Old 09-22-2016, 01:55 AM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Thanks. Forgot to mention that other than ceramic brakes the one thing that I really wanted was the ducktail as part of the exterior design package. There's dealer out in the mid-west (Zembrick I believe) that has a brand new '16 Black GTS with ducktail. Problem is they would not discount car enough and the warranty wasn't as good as CPO and it didn't have SPASM so I passed. That could be a tremendous opportunity for somebody if it doesn't sell and they are willing to take some more off the price.

Other thing is that I can't believe how many there are for sale right now. I've been looking nationwide for the past couple weeks and there's been almost one 991 GTS per day coming on the market, most with very low miles. Question is why are so many people selling so soon? If you want PDK and are in the market for one you can pretty much find your spec or very close to it at this point.

Quick Reply: Pending purchase thoughts