Sponsored by:

Just got popped... need body shop in So Cal

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 08:33 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bmedude
Just throwing this out there, any Certified Porsche Collision shop will not repair a panel of the car. They will literally cut the entire panel off and replace it with a new one. I don't know about you guys, but I can't fathom the idea of CUTTING my car. I'd much rather have a little bit of fiberglass filler than cut panels and after market welds.
You're f'ed at that point regardless, so I'd prefer a new panel over any bondo or filler of any kind.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:54 PM
fansonly
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by theporscheguy
Negotiate devaluation with the insurance company in coordination with the cost to repair.
Its a lease, so that probably doesn't make sense.

I was considering buying the car at lease end but I've lost that option and there isn't a way to make a legal claim for lost optionality.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:51 PM
bmedude
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by fastdiablo
You're f'ed at that point regardless, so I'd prefer a new panel over any bondo or filler of any kind.
I'm pretty sure that even with a brand new panel, they're still going to use body filler.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:22 PM
n8kruger
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

OK, this thread needs to calm down a little bit. Everyone go to the refrigerator, find a beer, a magnet and your favorite piece of microfiber cloth and inspect your car. The rear fender of our cars is steel. The back bumper is plastic and can be replaced easily,along with that super awesome engine air filter change. This car will likely need some suspension bits replaced, but those are also bolt in parts. From the picture, I suspect that the rear fender may need to be repainted but from what I can see the sheet-metal isn't badly bent. A decent shop should have no trouble making this right. If the OP doesn't want to buy the car at the end of the lease guys like me will gladly pick it up after a proper repair.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:03 AM
fansonly
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by n8kruger
OK, this thread needs to calm down a little bit. Everyone go to the refrigerator, find a beer, a magnet and your favorite piece of microfiber cloth and inspect your car. The rear fender of our cars is steel. The back bumper is plastic and can be replaced easily,along with that super awesome engine air filter change. This car will likely need some suspension bits replaced, but those are also bolt in parts. From the picture, I suspect that the rear fender may need to be repainted but from what I can see the sheet-metal isn't badly bent. A decent shop should have no trouble making this right. If the OP doesn't want to buy the car at the end of the lease guys like me will gladly pick it up after a proper repair.
This is comforting. You think the bent axel is just going to be fairly minimal?

I remember the impact being moderate.. the body damage is minimal so that energy had to go somewhere....
Old 09-09-2016, 01:36 AM
n8kruger
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I strongly suspect that the loadbearing parts of the suspension took most of the force of impact. All of these pieces are cast aluminum. It seems unlikely that the axle itself would be designed in a way that would allowsignificant lateral force to transmit directly to the transmission but there's no way to rule it out. Even if your transmission and differential were damaged, a certified shop should be able to figure this out pretty quickly. at the worst, you may be the beneficiary of a new transmission and rear suspension. The underlying steel structure of the car is probably preserved. Again, a good shop could confirm this as part of routine business.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:08 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,990 Likes on 5,227 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
In Ca you are required to file a report with the DMV within 10 days of the accident if any of the following are true:

1. There was property damage of more than $750 or
2. Anyone was injured (no matter how minor) or
3. Anyone was killed.
So is obeying the speed limit.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:28 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 716 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by fansonly
Its a lease, so that probably doesn't make sense.

I was considering buying the car at lease end but I've lost that option and there isn't a way to make a legal claim for lost optionality.
This event is an example of why leasing can be an attractive option for some, if you only keep your cars 3 or 4 years. Your car gets fixed, it looks like new but it's value is diminished to someone else, but not you. PCNA picks up the diminished value.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:43 AM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

As n8 mentioned, the aluminum arms are probably bent. Hopefully because they are so soft, no damage was passed on to the frame. In fact, aluminum suspension arms are so soft, they can bend if used to hold down the vehicle when it is towed, which is why they now tow most cars with straps holding the tires.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:36 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I agree wheel bent. Otherwise it's a trivial paint job.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:10 PM
DR08
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Last edited by DR08; 03-06-2019 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:51 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,358 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit;13590030[B
]So is obeying the speed limit. [/B]
it is????
Old 09-09-2016, 04:53 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,358 Posts

Originally Posted by n8kruger
I strongly suspect that the loadbearing parts of the suspension took most of the force of impact. All of these pieces are cast aluminum. It seems unlikely that the axle itself would be designed in a way that would allowsignificant lateral force to transmit directly to the transmission but there's no way to rule it out. Even if your transmission and differential were damaged, a certified shop should be able to figure this out pretty quickly. at the worst, you may be the beneficiary of a new transmission and rear suspension. The underlying steel structure of the car is probably preserved. Again, a good shop could confirm this as part of routine business.
Originally Posted by mtony
As n8 mentioned, the aluminum arms are probably bent. Hopefully because they are so soft, no damage was passed on to the frame. In fact, aluminum suspension arms are so soft, they can bend if used to hold down the vehicle when it is towed, which is why they now tow most cars with straps holding the tires.
+1
Old 09-10-2016, 04:30 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by theporscheguy
Negotiate devaluation with the insurance company in coordination with the cost to repair.
Good luck with that negotiation.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:55 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
This event is an example of why leasing can be an attractive option for some, if you only keep your cars 3 or 4 years. Your car gets fixed, it looks like new but it's value is diminished to someone else, but not you. PCNA picks up the diminished value.
That's not necessarily the case. A 991 that has been badly damaged can easily be worth $10K to $15K less than an undamaged car. So when the lessee returns a previously damaged vehicle at lease end, the lessor may hold them liable for the amount of the diminished value.
It's always a good idea to pursue diminished value to offset the loss that was sustained. I have only one experience trying to collect diminished value and it was a real struggle, despite the fact that there was a police report which clearly blamed the other driver and an arbitration case which found the other driver at fault. It took nearly a year before I finally collected $7500 from the other driver's Insurance company.

Quick Reply: Just got popped... need body shop in So Cal