pap2828
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

enjoy you won't be disappointed!
Old 09-08-2016, 04:07 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 282 Posts

Definitely don't go PDK unless your heart is in it. I've made that mistake and it is a costly one if you end up missing the full manual experience!

Good luck!
Old 09-08-2016, 04:17 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
Definitely don't go PDK unless your heart is in it. I've made that mistake and it is a costly one if you end up missing the full manual experience!

Good luck!
I sorta agree with you. But there's a sense in which you have to just commit to PDK and actually use it for a long time to find out if you'll ultimately like it. I've never had any sportscar except 4-, 5- and 6-speed clutched manuals. Was planning to replace my last Turbo with a 991 Turbo last year, but didn't know if I'd like PDK. Test drove a PDK 991S and really liked the experience. Came back and drove one for an hour a week later. Loved it even more.

So I ordered a GTS with PDK (when the end of NA 911s was announced I decided I'd get one rather than a Turbo.) I spec'd it just like I wanted and was delighted when it came in.

Then, about 2-4 weeks after receipt, I was seriously depressed. I wasn't bonding with PDK at all -- I just missed the clutch action. Mind you, I've always driven the PDK in manual mode -- always -- so I was still involved in the gear decision making. But I was missing the clutch. My other DD does have a clutch so I get to taste that anytime I want. But even so, I was wondering if I'd made a big mistake.

But within maybe another month or two, I found myself loving the PDK. It's not that I wouldn't like a manual, and that's surely the safest bet if you already like working a clutch. I probably wouldn't have ever felt like "Darn! I really made a mistake getting a manual!" But I'd have missed out on the superb PDK (when used in manual), which I'm now very glad to have.

So, I'm glad I got it and glad I stuck with it till I got past the "mourning period". .
Old 09-08-2016, 08:59 PM
Plimpington2
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I'm still car-less. I've learned something very important, tho. The "unavailability" of the car has very much less to do with whether it has been sold or not, and much more to do with whether another dealer is willing to trade it away. I've had two dealers tell me they'd be more than happy to sell me the car (at favorable prices, BTW) but they will NOT trade it to my local dealer.

It seems to me this applies especially to the lower end (I.e., "affordable" haha) 911's. So, I'm in limbo and feel defeated. How can it be this hard to buy a 6 figure car??!!

Judd
Old 09-08-2016, 09:35 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Sorry to hear that! Keep up the search... it will come.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:08 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I sorta agree with you. But there's a sense in which you have to just commit to PDK and actually use it for a long time to find out if you'll ultimately like it.

Then, about 2-4 weeks after receipt, I was seriously depressed. I wasn't bonding with PDK at all -- I just missed the clutch action. Mind you, I've always driven the PDK in manual mode -- always -- so I was still involved in the gear decision making. But I was missing the clutch. My other DD does have a clutch so I get to taste that anytime I want. But even so, I was wondering if I'd made a big mistake.

But within maybe another month or two, I found myself loving the PDK. It's not that I wouldn't like a manual, and that's surely the safest bet if you already like working a clutch. I probably wouldn't have ever felt like "Darn! I really made a mistake getting a manual!" But I'd have missed out on the superb PDK (when used in manual), which I'm now very glad to have.

So, I'm glad I got it and glad I stuck with it till I got past the "mourning period". .
Lol, agreed. My mourning period was worsening after a year however! I agree you need to give it time, but deep down I knew I'd miss the engagement and the longing never went away.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:22 PM
Plimpington2
Advanced

Ok, I'm back in business! Agate grey, manual. Black satin painted wheels (not a huge fan of this - I would have preferred agate wheels or unpainted - still, looks ok). Still have Bose and Premium Package Plus, but don't have SE and SC (car's a bit cheaper). Didn't really want to pay for those last two options anyway - so generally happy.

Coming from California. So, will be several days I'm sure. Pics when I get it!!
Old 09-09-2016, 12:47 PM
Quadry
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats!!!
Old 09-09-2016, 01:22 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Plimpington2
Ok, I'm back in business! Agate grey, manual. Black satin painted wheels (not a huge fan of this - I would have preferred agate wheels or unpainted - still, looks ok). Still have Bose and Premium Package Plus, but don't have SE and SC (car's a bit cheaper). Didn't really want to pay for those last two options anyway - so generally happy.

Coming from California. So, will be several days I'm sure. Pics when I get it!!
Black satin on Agate looks really sharp, I think you'll like it!

Have you heard PSE? Not a requirement for you?
Attached Images  
Old 09-09-2016, 01:27 PM
Plimpington2
Advanced

Black satin on Agate looks really sharp, I think you'll like it!

Have you heard PSE? Not a requirement for you?
I've heard it. It's nice. It's not $3000 nice, tho. What I like about it is that it covers up the sort of "whine" sound the 991.2 makes, which I CAN hear clearly in the cabin during hard acceleration. It's more prominent than I would have guessed. I have scoured the Internet reviews and youtubes and nobody seems to complain of turbo whine in this car, so maybe in mistaken about what that sound is.

This is my first Porsche (save a total POS 996 cab my uncle left me when he died several years ago). If I love it, I'll go hog wild on the next one (which, I very much hope to be a targa 4 - one day, one day)

Judd
Old 09-09-2016, 01:58 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

$3K is actually a bargain these days on sports exhaust! Can't often say that w/r/t Porsche options.

To me EDIT: the 991.1 Carrera S is loud enough without PSE as under hard acceleration the valves come open (3500 rpm?) and there's no difference. Sports chrono is nice to have for the dynamic mounts but doubtful most people can feel those anyway.

Enjoy your first 911!

Note: I haven't driven the 991.2 so I can't comment really on the new car. Sorry for any confusion.

Last edited by Chris C.; 09-09-2016 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:30 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,256 Posts

$3K is actually a bargain these days on sports exhaust! Can't often say that w/r/t Porsche options.

To me the Carrera S is loud enough without PSE as under hard acceleration the valves come open (3500 rpm?) and there's no difference. Sports chrono is nice to have for the dynamic mounts but doubtful most people can feel those anyway.

Enjoy your first 911!

Just curious to learn what your personal feelings are about the sound coming out of the new 991.2

From some of the videos that I've watched and heard, it sounds like as the revs build the sound becomes a lot more "gruntier".... as shown in the You Tube video at the Nurburgring. Is that your feeling as well?
Old 09-09-2016, 04:36 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
Just curious to learn what your personal feelings are about the sound coming out of the new 991.2

From some of the videos that I've watched and heard, it sounds like as the revs build the sound becomes a lot more "gruntier".... as shown in the You Tube video at the Nurburgring. Is that your feeling as well?
Diablo - I haven't driven a 991.2 yet so can't comment on the sound other than youtube videos I've seen. Sorry for confusing the two generations...forgot OP was leasing new.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:47 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 971 Likes on 486 Posts

Congrats on fulfilling your dream brother. You did it the proper way too - with a manual. Enjoy her and let me know if you need anything.

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique
Largest Dealer In The World for HRE Wheels, ANRKY Wheels, Vorsteiner Wheels & Aero, Akrapovic Exhaust, & iPE Exhaust
BBS, Forgeline, & TechArt Premium Dealer
Brembo / Rotiform / KW / H&R / Novitec / Brabus / Mansory and tons more...
Old 09-12-2016, 05:45 PM
Plimpington2
Advanced

UPDATE:

I have ordered (via dealer trade) a 2017 991.2 C4 with PSE, SC, PPP and Bose. Black on black with manual. Coming from just 250 miles away, so I should have by Wednesday!!

I have listened to enough YouTube videos and read enough on here to convince me that I needed PSE. Still not convinced about the SC, but it's there anyway. I'm happy I chose the manual. It seems to me, one day these will be gone - so I'm happy to have it as long as available.

Pictures when I get them.

Justin

Quick Reply: My first Porsche!!