Sponsored by:

Long due introduction

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 08:30 PM
waizc2s
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Long due introduction

Long due introduction! This past November I got back into the Porsche Family with a 2013 C2S – GT Silver, PDK, Sport Chrono, Sport Exhaust, PCCB among the major options. I have been browsing Rennlist for the last year and finally took the time to register and start contributing

My last Porsche was a 944 S2 Cabriolet and since then I have had numerous Audis, the most recent a TT-RS. The TT was a great car but I needed something more practicable with a usable back seat and automatic transmission so my wife could drive. Needless to say the C2S has not let me down – the Audi was fast but the C2S is so much more involving to drive and just feels more special. Special thanks to STG who connected me with the private owner for a great purchase!

Obligatory pictures. I just made my first interior mods by having my local upholstery shop wrap the A-pillars in Alcantara – noticeable improvement for a non-full leather car. I also added chrome rings to the dash cluster – matches the sport wheel and trim pieces perfect. Really helps brighten the interior and has a conservative OEM plus look.
Attached Images   
Old 09-02-2016, 08:32 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Very nice! Yummy Sport Techno wheels.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:54 PM
daberlin
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 12 Posts

Beautiful car, congrats! I really like the chrome rings to the dash cluster. Can you provide some detail as to where you got those? Is it a DIY job?
Old 09-02-2016, 09:05 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I like those rings, too. Reminds me of the aluminum rings on my 993. Can't wait to hear where they were sourced from.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:50 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 284 Posts

Gorgeous! Welcome.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:35 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Such a beauty! Welcome and congrats.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:02 AM
Aic9199
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on the chrome rings
Old 09-03-2016, 12:03 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

It's about time you post!!!

Always loved that car! Your brother was a huge help in coordinating the deal too. He's a great guy.

Glad you finally joined! Welcome to the 991 board

A picture of your car was posted by me on the first day the "Hot for Sale" thread was started. Actually gave advice to the guy who had bought it before you (who then sold it to you). Amazing!
Old 09-03-2016, 12:04 AM
Bigalfromfl
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Welcome and congrats on a great looking P car!
Old 09-03-2016, 12:40 AM
waizc2s
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for the nice welcome. I got inspiration from the 993 rings just like BradB posted above. After a very long internet search I finally tracked down the product in the below link. It shows it is for the Panamera but the 991 is the same dash cluster so the fit is perfect. When I finally received the product it was a little rough round the edges so I had to do some wet sanding and polishing to get it to my satisfaction. It is about 95% perfect now and probably no one other than myself would notice anything. I did contact the seller and they are sending me a new set free of charge so I may replace one of the rings. Quality is OK but be warned the product may need some attention before installing.

Each ring is a separate piece. They are made of plastic and painted with a Chrome finish that matches the standard trim perfect. There is 3M tape on the back. I had to shave some of the tape before applying so it would not stick out. Definitely a DIY job. Not sure how hard it is going to be to remove…imagine it will leave behind a sticky mess.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-S...08.0.55.JX8rtB

Pic before install and another angle...
Attached Images   
Old 09-03-2016, 12:40 AM
Oakleyguy
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice!
Old 09-03-2016, 01:17 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks for the chrome ring info. And for being the Guinea pig. You are brave to have ordered them from that vendor. Sometimes you just never know what your going to get! Not exactly cheap, but I'm going to order a set.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:22 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Interesting regarding the gauge bezels. This would be a good product for Eric at Bumperplugs to look into, as a new offering. I'm confident Bumperplugs could execute the final finish better, and even offer many different Porsche color codes.

*****another comment on your beautiful car, I love the Sport Technos on a car painted GT Silver, because then you get "wheels painted exterior" for "free" since the colors match******
Old 09-03-2016, 09:26 AM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by waizc2s
Thanks for the nice welcome. I got inspiration from the 993 rings just like BradB posted above. After a very long internet search I finally tracked down the product in the below link. It shows it is for the Panamera but the 991 is the same dash cluster so the fit is perfect. When I finally received the product it was a little rough round the edges so I had to do some wet sanding and polishing to get it to my satisfaction. It is about 95% perfect now and probably no one other than myself would notice anything. I did contact the seller and they are sending me a new set free of charge so I may replace one of the rings. Quality is OK but be warned the product may need some attention before installing.

Each ring is a separate piece. They are made of plastic and painted with a Chrome finish that matches the standard trim perfect. There is 3M tape on the back. I had to shave some of the tape before applying so it would not stick out. Definitely a DIY job. Not sure how hard it is going to be to remove…imagine it will leave behind a sticky mess.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-S...08.0.55.JX8rtB

Pic before install and another angle...
Congrats!

Chrome rings from aliexpress? I wouldn't touch it especially if it's made in china.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:50 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

As many of you know, we offered the aluminum trim rings for the 996/986 for many years. The nice part at the start was the quality was right to begin with, a few rejects, but nothing too bad. And this was due to a relationship we had with the then supplier of interior trim parts to Porsche. Over the course of many years, we began to offer them in painted finishes too. But then about 4-5 years in, the supplier's quality slipped, and we were returning 80% of our shipments (to Europe) due to poor quality. We even sourced a few sets from other places to see, and that quality was even sub-par. So we dropped the product, and the primary supplier stopped producing them (claimed it was an equipment issue in the mfg process).

Not long ago someone sent us some of these rings pictured, and they looked eerily similar to what we had seen a long time ago. The plan was to check the quality, get them in production, and test some paint processes on the material. We did. Unfortunately, the results (and time that it took to get it right) were not to our liking. It would require an inordinate amount of time (a lot of prep, in-process sanding and other tweaks) and material to get it right. Couple that with the pressures we use in our (even smallest) paint guns, and it's truly challenging. I think out of 8 rings that we tested, 3 came out 9/10, the rest were well below that.

Alas, as much as we'd love to provide this, it's not practical and would likely cost a small fortune to do it right. But if the raw finish offered looks good, and fits well, it may be worth having for some. I like the look in silver on the GT Silver C2S (congrats). Wish we had a better answer, but for now, not something we can make work.

Thanks for the heads up, LexVan.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Quick Reply: Long due introduction