Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone familiar with a 'control module'?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 12:08 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 163 Posts
Default Anyone familiar with a 'control module'?

My car, a 16 GTS, is currently in the shop for an issue related to an ebrake error. The brake successfully engages but then it 'slips' a little triggering an error sensor. This is the part that evidently needs to be replaced and it is coming from Germany, hopefully to arrive on Friday. That will be a week since I dropped the car off. This is right after the left rear wheel subharness was replaced after a previously lengthy diagnosis and swap of several other parts. Any connection? Should I be concerned with any of the other electronics on this car which I ordered and bought new? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Jim
Old 09-01-2016, 08:08 AM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

There are perhaps 50 or more (ok, I am guessing....!) "control modules" performing duties throughout a 991. Just about anything with an electric current running through it will either be or be controlled-by a "control module." What you should find out is which control module is being replaced.... Unfortunately on the PET catalog there are a lot of listings that say simply "control module."
Should you be concerned? Maybe.....
Old 09-01-2016, 12:37 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,568 Likes on 2,320 Posts

Originally Posted by plenum
There are perhaps 50 or more (ok, I am guessing....!) "control modules" performing duties throughout a 991. Just about anything with an electric current running through it will either be or be controlled-by a "control module." What you should find out is which control module is being replaced.... Unfortunately on the PET catalog there are a lot of listings that say simply "control module."
Should you be concerned? Maybe.....
+1! pretty much any 'analog' electronics is ultimately controlled (or at least connected) by a digital controller on the CAN bus ...

I'm pretty sure there is a CM specific to the e-brake...

The dealer *should* have ordered the part PDX from Germany ... maybe they did ... that usually expedites the shipping process.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:06 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 163 Posts

Great news. I just got an email from the shop foreman. They got the module today. He says he plugged it in and calibrated it. No slippage or warning lights so hopefully I'll have the car for the weekend! I do wonder though, with a now replaced wiring subharness and ebrake module and who knows what else at 3400 miles if I should write PCNA a letter in case any other electronics go haywire.
J
Old 09-02-2016, 02:40 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,781 Likes on 1,466 Posts

That's what warranty is for.

Quick Reply: Anyone familiar with a 'control module'?