Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need advice on replacing Rims/wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 11:30 AM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Plastidip seems to works well for street use, and/or an inexpensive way to test different colors. It can permanently discolor the wheels if you track the car.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:03 PM
Roosell
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Roosell
I did the Plasti Dip coating...

I probably will remove the coating in late winter or early spring, and I'll post again how that experience goes.

Spring has sprung, and off comes the coating! The process of removal was about 4 hours, but could have been less. On the first wheel I foolishly thought I was going to remove the stuff without taking the wheels off. Not going to happen that way.

The inside barrel was super-easy as expected. The spokes were time consuming- also as expected. The two areas of real difficulty were within the lug openings and the back of the hub. The hub (photo attached) simply isn't coming off. Not too concerning for me, but for those who are more picky be aware that the porous surface would not turn loose without digging. I would rather leave it than do that digging.

Anyone considering this: I suggest that you take into consideration how you will get your fingers into the narrow spaces to lift the coating when the time comes to remove it. I would do it again, but not on wheels with narrower openings.
Attached Images   
Old 04-17-2017, 11:22 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

If you go aftermarket, be sure they are forged not cast, and weigh no more than, and preferably less than, your OEM wheels, or you will suffer a performance, ride and handling loss.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:21 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

There is the Flow-Form option to consider too (if aftermarket is on the menu) that HRE does nicely as well as their finer/lighter fully forged offerings. The cost of the Flow-Forms are inline with deals you might find on OEM wheel options and they are reasonably light, strong, and quite eye-pleasing.

I just spent a lot of time researching wheel options and decided to splurge on some forged mono block HREs for myself that I found mildly used but HRE is going to refinish to the tint I'd prefer. A wonderful thing with their wheels is that you have quite a few choices including brushed/polished and clear, satin, gloss in a variety of tints/colors. A handful of other premier brands can do this too, but I like the quality and line-up they have the best. If you happen to lucky enough to find some good quality used ones for sale, they can also refinish them to whatever you'd like for a price. Here are a couple of examples I think you could consider based upon your post but their website gallery has many more.

Finally, I'd like to say that Jurrian (who has posted earlier in the thread) had been responsive and helpful with me and they have had a history of making good contributions to the forum here. That is always a big plus for me.

FlowForms in Liquid Silver

Forged P101s in Brushed Dark Clear - I think (Centerlocks here, but available in 5-lug).
Old 04-17-2017, 03:42 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Here's another photo I had saved off comparing some of the wheels and finishes from HRE. These just ooze quality to me.

Old 04-17-2017, 03:45 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
https://www.dipyourcar.com/

Give the Plasti Dip a try.
NOOOOOO. I dipped my winter wheels and its brutal IMO. Peels and flakes every wash and difficult to get it all off. There are LOTS of aftermarket wheel companies. Depends on your budget. BBS, HRE, OZ.............
Old 04-17-2017, 03:46 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by MJG911
I'm selling some freshly powdercoated black S wheels.
https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...-s-wheels.html
There you go ! Those look great.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:40 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
There you go ! Those look great.
They are sitting in my spare room

I was on the fence with 19" wheels (terrible roads around here) for a summer setup, but likely installing the black 20" OEMs soon. They look much better in person, and the wheels, tires, and TPMS are ready to go.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:21 PM
ltdodge
Racer

Received 187 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
Here's another photo I had saved off comparing some of the wheels and finishes from HRE. These just ooze quality to me.
what finish/color are the HRE 107 on the left?
Old 04-17-2017, 05:22 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by waizc2s
HRE FlowForm looks good on the 991. Good quality at a decent price.

http://www.hrewheels.com/wheels/hre-flowform/ff01
+1

I have black FF01's on my car and love them.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:04 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltdodge
Oh, sorry, I guess I should have posted that. On the left is Brushed Dark Clear and on the Right is Brushed Clear. I believe the FF01 on the bottom is Liquid Silver, but it wasn't labeled on the IND site where I saw it. Maybe Jurrian will know?
You'll find a lot of variation in photographs of Brushed Dark Clear... it appears to change a lot with lighting.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:19 PM
midwesterner
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by waizc2s
HRE FlowForm looks good on the 991. Good quality at a decent price.

http://www.hrewheels.com/wheels/hre-flowform/ff01
These are cast wheels, right? I am pretty sure OEM are forged. Seems like a downgrade.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:12 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by midwesterner
These are cast wheels, right? I am pretty sure OEM are forged. Seems like a downgrade.
Most of the OEM wheels are cast. The only OEMs that are forged are the Turbo wheels and the Sport Classics.

The non-forged 20" OEM rear wheels weigh in between about 28-31lbs. BTW,I know the Carrera S III is made by BBS so that's a good name there... maybe others too.

The 20x11 FF01 FlowForms are reported to weigh in at nearly 24 pounds... so around 4 pounds of savings on unsprung weight there. Also read up on flow forming and the strength benefits of that. For the money and finish quality available, the FlowForms seem like a good deal to me.

If you want the best, then go forged for strength at the lightest weight but ready to pay for it. The HRE P101s are around 20lbs for the 20x9 front and ~22lbs for the 20x11.5 rear (6+ pounds less on the rear wheel).
Old 04-18-2017, 06:34 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 949 Likes on 479 Posts

Oh, sorry, I guess I should have posted that. On the left is Brushed Dark Clear and on the Right is Brushed Clear. I believe the FF01 on the bottom is Liquid Silver, but it wasn't labeled on the IND site where I saw it. Maybe Jurrian will know?
You'll find a lot of variation in photographs of Brushed Dark Clear... it appears to change a lot with lighting.
You are correct. On the left is HRE's most popular finish Brushed Dark Clear. On the right is the Brushed Clear.

If you have any other questions regarding any of HRE's offerings, including the FlowForms, don't hesitate to PM me here so that we don't hijack the thread

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique
Largest Dealer In The World for HRE Wheels, ANRKY Wheels, Vorsteiner Wheels & Aero, Akrapovic Exhaust, & iPE Exhaust
BBS, Forgeline, & TechArt Premium Dealer
Brembo / Rotiform / KW / H&R / Novitec / Brabus / Mansory and tons more...
Old 04-18-2017, 06:39 PM
HRE_Jurrian
Former Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Already been said but, Brushed Dark Clear on the left, Brushed Clear on the right.

Originally Posted by midwesterner
Most of the OEM wheels are cast. The only OEMs that are forged are the Turbo wheels and the Sport Classics.

The non-forged 20" OEM rear wheels weigh in between about 28-31lbs. BTW,I know the Carrera S III is made by BBS so that's a good name there... maybe others too.

The 20x11 FF01 FlowForms are reported to weigh in at nearly 24 pounds... so around 4 pounds of savings on unsprung weight there. Also read up on flow forming and the strength benefits of that. For the money and finish quality available, the FlowForms seem like a good deal to me.

If you want the best, then go forged for strength at the lightest weight but ready to pay for it. The HRE P101s are around 20lbs for the 20x9 front and ~22lbs for the 20x11.5 rear (6+ pounds less on the rear wheel).
StormRune is on the money there. It's worth noting as well that if you feel that FF04's are a downgrade from factory, just remember that our FlowForm wheels pass the same TUV certification tests (like impact testing) that our Forged wheels do, and are lighter than most factory wheels too.

Quick Reply: need advice on replacing Rims/wheels