Sponsored by:

Agate Grey C4S with new decals

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 10:58 AM
Mechanic
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, since you asked . . . .

First, the stripes look great on the 911, but I'm old enough to remember when it was heresy on any 911 other than on a factory racer.

Now, WRT yours, IMHO they would look better if the silver were more subtle, as it is on the 911. Next, you'll notice the word "Porsche" begins at the leading edge of the door. On your car, the word is centered on the door. Here again, IMHO it would look better if the lettering began at the leading edge of the door.

But, in any case, I like the idea.

Break, break. DocMo: Uh, no, not on the back.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:15 AM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks great! Very cool! I currently have black ones on my gt silver 991 and think it's great to change it up with the retro look. Goes great with duck tails and or Fuchs style wheels like on the anniversary car.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:06 PM
JustBud
Race Car

Received 655 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Okay, since you asked, I'll be honest.

Something about them bothers me. It seems off. That was my initial, non-analytical thought. If I had done them and they struck me that way, I'd remove them.

Upon closer inspection, I have several reasons.

1) That combo looks fine on the Singer so I see why you wanted to duplicate. So why does it look off on your car? I think it's a combination of

a) execution of the decal. The Singer has larger, more identifiable lettering. If I arrange your pictures so there's a Singer shot and your car on the screen at the same time, and look at the roof of each car rather than staring at the lettering, the Singer lettering still registers in my mind as lettering, as a word, down at the rocker panel. But yours runs together in my peripheral vision and becomes a strange, partial length bright red graphic within a white stripe. My brain struggles to make sense of it. "Why would there be a red block down there?" it wonders.

b) exacerbating the above, the letters on the Singer are rendered in a more subtle red. It's still more contrast than I would want on my car but it is toned down a few degrees from your red. As such it is easier for my eye to let it blend with the overall theme of subtlety you have going with the Agate or whatever color the Singer is.

c) proportion. Many of the details that work so well on an original 911 just don't work nearly as well when stretched out a few inches to cover the visually much larger proportions of a 991. Did you ever wander through a shoe store and pick up a pair of shoes (always displayed in size 8.5), think "Those look great!", and then try them on your size 12 feet and think, "Crap! They look wrong now."? I certainly have. The proportions that looked so right at 9" long now look exaggerated and elongated at 12". Well, this also works on 991s. Most of the attempts to recreate historic striping and lettering have been fails, IMO. The attempts to render Fuchs wheels in 20" sizes are just that little bit off. Case in point: the Singer's "PORSCHE" fits perfectly within the confines of the door. Your's looks lost inside a much larger door.

The 996/997/991 have evolved their own design language. Details and accessories that worked on the smaller, narrower, more upright long-hoods, G-Series and 964s just don't look right on long, low, sleek, swept-back 991s.

2) A sense of history. Those stripes with P O R S C H E in them were apropos in 1971 because, frankly, most people outside of race fans didn't know what a "Porsh" was. It was a way of driving a billboard around the track to build brand awareness. Today, with 50+ years of 911s rolling around the world's roads and tracks, there's no need for it. Most people today (outside of Porsche cultists) will view that as compensatory. Sort of like you're shouting, "Hey! Guys! Look! I gotta Porsh! How bout that!"

Now mind you, I'm not saying you're actually doing that. I assume you have a well-developed sense of your own worth and no need to display a "Look at me and my cool Porsh" sign on the side of your car. I assume you are paying homage, as does Singer, to some of the great street and track Porsches of decades past. But that message will be totally missed by most people who see your car. Most will have no context for that history, having either missed or forgotten the Porsches from 45 years ago. And so their interpretation will likely be either "Look at that dick and his Porsh" or, if they actually care for you, "Oh man, why'd he feel like he needed to put that sticker on his car? We all know what it is. I'm embarrassed for him."

So me? I'm voting to take it off. Let the iconic shape speak quietly to your refinement and good taste.
A bit harsh, but spot on.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:23 PM
DocMo
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 87 Posts

Porsche designers, and marketers must have no clue about what a good looking 911 should be...these fools put side decals on a 911 R and made it a limited edition for only VIP customers...and these 911 Rs are worth at least $400k...
The following users liked this post:
desmotesta (02-23-2022)
Old 02-23-2022, 01:10 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 2,063 Likes on 975 Posts

Originally Posted by DocMo
Porsche designers, and marketers must have no clue about what a good looking 911 should be...these fools put side decals on a 911 R and made it a limited edition for only VIP customers...and these 911 Rs are worth at least $400k...
"purists" always find a way to belittle or down-splain anything that they dont like. Some are obvious and harsh in their wording, other find a longer more seemingly elaborate way of saying the same thing but in the form of a redundent history lesson as if others dont know what they know. The very people who claim others are saying "look everyone I have a Porsh" are not self aware about how many subtle things they do and say to shout exactly that... point is to ignore others and do what you like, those who are claiming your addition will be misread are the very people who actually care about what others think.

Long story short, if its good enough for a Half Million Dollar 911R, its good enough of a subtle addition to any 911

Last edited by desmotesta; 02-23-2022 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-23-2022, 02:37 PM
rugu6869
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by desmotesta
"purists" always find a way to belittle or down-splain anything that they dont like. Some are obvious and harsh in their wording, other find a longer more seemingly elaborate way of saying the same thing but in the form of a redundent history lesson as if others dont know what they know. The very people who claim others are saying "look everyone I have a Porsh" are not self aware about how many subtle things they do and say to shout exactly that... point is to ignore others and do what you like, those who are claiming your addition will be misread are the very people who actually care about what others think.

Long story short, if its good enough for a Half Million Dollar 911R, its good enough of a subtle addition to any 911
Personally, I don't give a flying fig as to what others like. I don't have a Ferrari so it shouldn't be "looked down on" if I make a change that suits my taste.
I've made a host of mechanical and cosmetic changes to my car and I love every one of them.

My stripes are a similar design to the 911R, but I have the track maps from different tracks I've driven/raced underneath to give them a ghost effect. It's quite subtle, but different from anything I've ever seen before.

The following 3 users liked this post by rugu6869:
desmotesta (02-23-2022), Dgags (02-23-2022), professorman (02-23-2022)
Old 02-23-2022, 10:48 PM
professorman
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by rugu6869
Personally, I don't give a flying fig as to what others like. I don't have a Ferrari so it shouldn't be "looked down on" if I make a change that suits my taste.
I've made a host of mechanical and cosmetic changes to my car and I love every one of them.

My stripes are a similar design to the 911R, but I have the track maps from different tracks I've driven/raced underneath to give them a ghost effect. It's quite subtle, but different from anything I've ever seen before.
Wow! I love your stripes. Where did you get those stripes? I am trying to get some custom stripes on my Agate gray as well. Your car is the first I am seeing that is modded.

What wheels are those? They are really cool. Its the first I am seeing them.
Old 02-24-2022, 04:33 AM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 236 Posts

@OP : I am not a decal person but my initial impression is that it looks great!

The light grey of the decals contrasts nicely with the Agathe Grey and kind of echoes the alu color of your Techno wheels.
The red of the decals does match your calipers.

I like it!
Old 02-24-2022, 10:51 AM
rugu6869
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by professorman
Wow! I love your stripes. Where did you get those stripes? I am trying to get some custom stripes on my Agate gray as well. Your car is the first I am seeing that is modded.

What wheels are those? They are really cool. Its the first I am seeing them.
The stripes were my idea. They're black and yellow vinyl wrap (gloss black cut to size and a yellow pinstripe for the boarder).
It's really hard to see in this photo, but I ordered vinyl track maps and had those put on first and when the black was laid over the top, the outline can be seen, but it's very subtle.
Below are a couple of different photos for a better perspective.

The wheels are my own custom design from www.litespeedracing.com. He has standard designs that you can chose from or you can do a fully custom design. He will work with you coming up with drawings and have the entire design tested to make sure it's strong.
They can do forged aluminum, forged magnesium (what I chose), three piece (with forged aluminum barrel or full carbon fiber barrel) and he has a full carbon fiber wheel also. If you want to go super exotic, he can do a fully 3D printed wheel, but those are super expensive.
There's no added cost for fully custom. His prices vary based on raw materials, but they are pretty reasonable considering what you're getting.

The following 2 users liked this post by rugu6869:
911hammer (02-25-2022), Icebreaker (02-24-2022)

Quick Reply: Agate Grey C4S with new decals