981 GTS and 991.2 S

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 06:51 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 981 GTS and 991.2 S

Well after some thought, we decided to add a 991.2 S to the stable

The whole process has been very interesting and in part reflects the nature of the 911 and 981.

The simple reality is the 981 GTS is a brilliant car, an absolute scalpel and a very visceral driving experience. The GTS is a keeper unlikely to be replaced by a 718.

In regard to the 911, my wife and I required a bit more room but also wanted good performance. We considered a number of 4 door performance saloons from a range of different manufacturers and quickly realised the GTS had corrupted our souls

Thus we headed back to Porsche, we couldn't get our joint heads around the Panamera and we already own AWD/4WD vehicles so the Macan and Cayenne didn't fit the bill.

We decided to test drive a 991.2 S (PDK, PASM, PTV, PSE but without rear wheel steering etc).

We were both blown away by the vehicle, the straight line performance is fantastic with very little discernible or perceived turbo lag. Incredibly linear feel all the way to the red line. The new 3l twin turbo engine is a peach. It is quiet compared to the 3.4l/3.8l NA flat six as you would expect due to the muffling effect of the turbos - however, it has not lost its soul.

The handling of the 991.2 is much improved over the 991.1 even with the std PASM and likely aided by the inclusion of PTV as standard in the build. The PASM calibration is marginally less forgiving than that found on the GTS. The comfort mode feels similar to the sport mode on the GTS. The new 991.2 S feels very planted, pushing hard through corners delivers a well balanced feel with very controllable weight shift - very impressive in fact.

The brakes are also excellent, great modulation and a huge amount of brake torque on tap thanks to the six pot/ four pot combo. Again impressive.

So to our build:

We opted for a black - red counterpoint (our GTS is yellow - black) having noticed that many manufacturers offer "carmine red" like offerings e.g. Hyundai, Mazda, Lexus etc

We opted for guards red with the following, electric glass sun roof (black), Carrera S wheels painted gloss black, PDLS+ black, Porsche logo and 911 painted black, body matched headlight cleaning system, delete rear wiper, electric folding mirrors, PDK, sports chrono, sports exhaust, light design package, GT sport steering wheel, seat ventilation, sports 14 way adjustable seats, standard black leather interior, dials in guards red, chrono in guards red, park assist front and rear, grey tint, auto dimming mirrors with rain sensor, cruise control, heated seats, Bose and DAB

Is there anything else we should consider?

We are lucky, we have the best of both worlds - a brilliant visceral driving machine in the GTS and a sublime, powerful, refined, super cruiser in the S

They both offer brilliant experiences but deliver them in remarkably different ways.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:56 AM
bmedude
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 37 Posts

Randr, you're going to love the car. Your build looks pretty solid. Make sure you get the RPM guage in black. The default S tach is gray.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:47 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As Posted, Tach in Black is a must if you don't get Guards Red.
I have Vent Trim in Camrine Red to match body color, very subtle interior offset!
Consider covering your interior trim to reduce the bling effect.
Consider your headlight washers in black to match trim and rear deck.
Sport GT wheel with multifunction is a must!
Depending on where you live, heated is also nice.
If you generate a Porsche 'Code' and Post, it is easier to look over your build.
In any event, these are fabulous cars and I have the 981/991.2 combo now!-Richard
Old 08-05-2016, 09:48 AM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 88 Posts

The smoking package puts a cover over the cubby hole in front of the center console...and it's free.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:55 AM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You should order the Sports Package because it includes PSE, RWS, SC, GT steering wheel and sport mirrors. In Canada the package has a savings of $1,800.00 as opposed to ordering the options separately. In your case you have most of these options except RWS and that would end up being a no cost option with the package savings. I would also add sport PASM. That makes a big improvement in the handling and the car sits lower, giving it a much nicer stance.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:46 PM
randr
Banned

List as per order sheet:

Carrera S Coupe

G1 Guards red
AG partial leather sports seats in black
CWM Porsche logo and 911 painted black
XEY LED main headlights in black including PDLS+
426 delete rear wiper
748 electrically folding mirrors including courtesy light
653 electric slide tilt sunroof
XUB headlight cleaning systems covers painted
250 PDK
QR5 sport chrono package inc mode switch
176 sports exhaust system
433 20 inch carrera s wheels
XDG wheels painted in high gloss black
630 light design package
858 GT sport steering wheel (multifunction)
P06 fully electric sports seats - 14 way electric
541 seat ventilation
810 floor mats
581 passenger footwell storage net
XFG instrument dials inc tacho in guards red
XGN sports chrono stopwatch dial in guards red

There are a range of options that are considered standard in Australian spec vehicles e.g. parking sensors and reversing camera, heated seats, metallic paint, dimming mirrors, DAB etc.

We have a small time window before everything is locked in - but are considering RWS, lane change assist and alcantara sun visors (to match the roof liner).

Thanks for the feedback
Old 08-06-2016, 04:20 AM
randr
Banned

Front view LHS

Front view RHS

Front

Rear - tail pipes will be gloss black

Top view showing black electric sunroof

Interior with guards red dials and chrono

Interior - GT wheel and dials in guards red
Old 08-06-2016, 07:39 AM
budrichard
Banned

The ordering of a Porsche is both a styling exercise and a usage/personality exercise.
From a styling perspective, my point of view is that the rear black engine cover and black nomeclature should be balanced by the Gloss Black washers. But I have only Porsche in Carmine Red on the rear with Gloss Black washers, so I go either way!
The Guards Red dials really POP!
If matching Carmine Red dials were available, I would have ordered them but alas they are not.
Covering the interior bright trim yields a more subdued cockpit but with the POP of the red dials, it's not as visual as my build would have been if my trim was not leather covered.
I have the 'Sport Tailpipes in Black'. They are not available in Gloss on the Configurator but are certainly required for your build.
As to usage, if you are considering a lot of major highway driving, LCA and ACC are a must.
I have both and it's very comforting to cruise and not manipulate the brakes when in Cruise.
It's your 'Baby' so go with what you like!
It will be a great Porsche!-Richard
Old 08-06-2016, 11:12 AM
TAL2GK
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My concern would be seeing the red needle amongst the red dials.

Good looking car though, no doubt.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:29 PM
randr
Banned

Richard, thanks for your comments - will add LCA.

In terms of the washers, I flicked between black and body coloured and couldn't make a decision - my wife made the call to go for body coloured. (I have black on the RY GTS and it really pops - for some reason it doesn't seem to do that on the guards red, but conversely looks great with carmine red).

In terms of the interior, I am very happy with the guards red dials (I have RY dials in in my RY GTS and they look fantastic) - Talk2GK, the dealer had a series of display dials and I can happily verify that the orange needles can be seen clearly.

Richard, you may or may not be aware that Porsche Exclusive offer Burgundy dials - I believe they are a match for Carmine Red???

I had a good look at different trim options and given the overall theme, the black leather interior seems to blend well with the other elements. I will look at alternatives to the bright aluminium finish - good call.

The PSE doesn't have the option of black tips, fortunately the dealer can remedy this (through their paint shop) - I think this is a bit of an oversight by Porsche or rather they are saving black PSE tips for the GTS version.

Now for the wait
Old 08-07-2016, 10:15 AM
budrichard
Banned

Burgundy is not Carmine Red and unless an exact match, a no-go for me.
Too bad about the SE in black, but that is easily fixed.
Use the 3D viewer to determine which interior options you want, The dealer has a large desk top that shows things fairly well.
I really like matching dials but in my case, it was not an option!-Richard
Old 08-13-2016, 05:54 AM
randr
Banned

Added LCA and sun visors in alcantara locked and loaded!
Old 08-13-2016, 06:53 AM
satoru
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

something about the black and red combo is just soooo right!!! nice build!!!
Old 08-13-2016, 10:44 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Have you considered deleting the sunroof? It's free and it makes the car lighter, lower cg, and less squeaks and rattles.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:42 AM
randr
Banned

Added rear axle steering

G1 Guards red
AG partial leather sports seats in black
CWM Porsche logo and 911 painted black
XEY LED main headlights in black including PDLS+
426 delete rear wiper
748 electrically folding mirrors including courtesy light
653 electric slide tilt sunroof
XUB headlight cleaning systems covers painted
250 PDK
QR5 sport chrono package inc mode switch
176 sports exhaust system
433 20 inch carrera s wheels
XDG wheels painted in high gloss black
630 light design package
858 GT sport steering wheel (multifunction)
P06 fully electric sports seats - 14 way electric
541 seat ventilation
810 floor mats
581 passenger footwell storage net
XFG instrument dials inc tacho in guards red
XGN sports chrono stopwatch dial in guards red
XLU Sun visors alcantara
457 lane change assist
470 rear axle steering

plus included Aussie options thats it now, job finally done!

I am very comfortable with the performance - comfort trade off e.g. standard PASM, PTV-E, RWS, Sports Chrono - I considered S-PASM and PDCC however in the case of the former I would have clearance issues (would drop the car 10mm lower than my PASM GTS - and that scrapes already) and in the case of the latter, I would rather use fixed adjustable sway bars to vary roll control and additional over/under steer management.

Last edited by randr; 08-18-2016 at 06:15 AM.

Quick Reply: 981 GTS and 991.2 S