Sponsored by:

Leather VS Wood Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 05:30 PM
ljcool_17
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather VS Wood Steering Wheel

I'd like to get your thoughts on Wood Steering Wheels. How it feels when driving, does it get hot during hot days, and how it wears overtime. I do have a bit of a sweaty palms which puts Alcantara out of the question and have been warned about Carbon Fiber Steering Wheels. Planning on the new Panamera but I figured people on the 911 forum are more experienced with this topic.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:37 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

I would rather grip a cow than a tree.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:20 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

I think it'd depend on your color interior. I think the darker walnut steering wheel to contrast a beige interior would look awesome, especially on such a lux ride like a Panny. If you're going for black or dark interior, I'd go for leather...T
Old 07-30-2016, 06:26 PM
ljcool_17
Intermediate

My interior choice is actually Sweet Gum on Black/Chalk leather.
Old 07-30-2016, 08:11 PM
Pez D. Spencer
Advanced

Alcantara makes my hands sweat after a while, so I've started using driving gloves on longer drives. I think I look like a show off wearing them, but it works. Porsche doesn't have driving gloves but Audi does and Bellingham Porsche is also Audi, so I got them there. Unlined so they don't make your hands too hot and they don't bunch up in your palm or restrict finger movement. Nice. I still feel pretentious wearing them. They were $120.
Old 07-30-2016, 08:45 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 14 Posts

A minor point, for colder climates, the (wood) heated steering wheel on my wife's Panamera gets a good bit warmer than the leather one on my Carrera.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:10 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a wood multi-functional steering wheel and love it - it looks great and feels great.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:22 PM
ljcool_17
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Pez D. Spencer
Alcantara makes my hands sweat after a while, so I've started using driving gloves on longer drives. I think I look like a show off wearing them, but it works. Porsche doesn't have driving gloves but Audi does and Bellingham Porsche is also Audi, so I got them there. Unlined so they don't make your hands too hot and they don't bunch up in your palm or restrict finger movement. Nice. I still feel pretentious wearing them. They were $120.
I agree with you.Thought about going Alcantara and wearing gloves but as you've said kinda makes you look like a show off. However, Alcantara Steering Wheels are great and glad you're enjoying yours.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:26 PM
ljcool_17
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fjpdds
A minor point, for colder climates, the (wood) heated steering wheel on my wife's Panamera gets a good bit warmer than the leather one on my Carrera.
Does her Steering Wheel get too hot to touch after it's been out in the sun? How does it wear and how do you take care of it? I live in SoCal and hardly ever needed heated Steering Wheels.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:28 PM
ljcool_17
Intermediate

Originally Posted by porscherex
I have a wood multi-functional steering wheel and love it - it looks great and feels great.
Does it ever feel slippery when you drive?
Old 07-30-2016, 11:23 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

My wife's CD has the walnut multifunction steering wheel and I love it. It is not what I would want in my 911 but in a Panamera it would be awesome. It is not slippery, just very very smooth! There is a bit of leather at the 3/9 o'clock position if you want to "grab" the wheel there. I say get it. It looks fantastic too, really sets off the interior.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:44 PM
ljcool_17
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51
My wife's CD has the walnut multifunction steering wheel and I love it. It is not what I would want in my 911 but in a Panamera it would be awesome. It is not slippery, just very very smooth! There is a bit of leather at the 3/9 o'clock position if you want to "grab" the wheel there. I say get it. It looks fantastic too, really sets off the interior.
That was a bit of my concern as the steering wheel would be at least 60% wood. Happy to know it isn't slippery I usually grab the wheel at 3 and 9 but on turning I sometimes grab every other part. My next concern now is the wear and care for it.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:24 AM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ljcool_17
I agree with you.Thought about going Alcantara and wearing gloves but as you've said kinda makes you look like a show off. However, Alcantara Steering Wheels are great and glad you're enjoying yours.
I too have alcantara on my gts and love it. I too purchased a cheap pair of driving gloves and feel like a douche when I wear them. However, I also get sweaty palms and it protects the wheel. I need a better pair though as the ones I bought from amazon prevent 'feeling' the steering wheel.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:28 AM
TAL2GK
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the top wood on my Grand Cherokee and it's nice for that ride. Like others have said, I wouldn't want and didn't get one for my 991.2, but on a more relaxed ride it fits. The only potential negative is my wedding ring clangs off the wood a bit. 15 months later there's no damage, but it's something to consider.
Old 07-31-2016, 03:12 AM
DocMo
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 86 Posts

If your hands do sweat a lot, just use good quality driver gloves. Feels great and protects your steering wheel from early wear.

Quick Reply: Leather VS Wood Steering Wheel