Sponsored by:

First Traffic Ticket with my Porsche.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 10:05 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
To the OP; Not to put too fine a point on it but what with what has been going on with police in the USA these days you are lucky you didn't get shot.

Seriously???

A little too much emotion here in this thread overall in my opinion.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:21 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 684 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Seriously???

A little too much emotion here in this thread overall in my opinion.
Just saying ... getting a ticket for weaving through heavy traffic is a third world problem in the scheme of things these days. If the OP was driving reasonably and got a ticket and is complaining about an unreasonable police response, just look around you. A guy got shot lying on the pavement with his hands up beside an autistic man recently.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:22 AM
Guzzgreg
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 66 Posts

"To the OP; Not to put too fine a point on it but what with what has been going on with police in the USA these days you are lucky you didn't get shot."

Really?? Is that really what you think? Yeah the police get up every day and decide how many people they are going to shoot. You are a moron, and should NEVER come to the US. Stay in Canada with your maple syrup smelling money where you are safe from being shot (in your mind) by the police.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:26 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Good. Now a moderator can move this silly thread to our Politics & Controversy Forum.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:28 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Originally Posted by Guzzgreg
"To the OP; Not to put too fine a point on it but what with what has been going on with police in the USA these days you are lucky you didn't get shot."

Really?? Is that really what you think? Yeah the police get up every day and decide how many people they are going to shoot. You are a moron, and should NEVER come to the US. Stay in Canada with your maple syrup smelling money where you are safe from being shot (in your mind) by the police.
No they get up every day and go looking for Porsche drivers to ticket. Both scenarios are ridiculous. I was just trying to point out that this kind of ticketing happens all of the time in both countries, but in the scheme of things isn't as bad as other stuff that happens at the hand of the police in both countries. 3 years ago a disturbed 19 year old was shot dead in Toronto on an empty street car by a cop. He was babbling, holding a small knife and had scared everyone off the bus. Now why did the cop have to shoot him? Idiot cop, I'd rather get a traffic ticket. That's all I was saying.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:33 AM
Guzzgreg
Racer

Hey I’ve got a great idea, Come down to the US,strap on a pistol, extra mags, 15 Lbs. of gear and then go patrol some of the worst crime areas of the country. And then make a split second decision that could mean your life or the life of a civilian and then be second guessed by the media that has days to review the actions that you had a split second to make. Once you do that buddy you can have all the opinions you want about the police in MY country. Until you do that, remain a keyboard warrior.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:39 AM
Guzzgreg
Racer

I'd be more than happy to take you out on patrol. Took a couple of tough guy reporters a while back. One of them knew it all. Had to take him back to the SH he got so scared on a shots fired call, guess what happened?? I'll send you my address you can do a ride along with me and my partner in Bushwick Brooklyn. Never heard of Bushwick? Google it and then hang on!
Old 07-31-2016, 10:41 AM
kayjh
Drifting

I'd be more than happy to take you out on patrol.
OK, now I see where you are coming from ....
Old 07-31-2016, 10:54 AM
Duke I
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Deleted.

Last edited by Duke I; 07-31-2016 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:06 PM
kwikit356
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 65 Posts

I have to agree with LexVan. This thread should be moved. However, I would like to keep the lawyer joke alive for a few minutes. StealthPilot has a great sense of humor: "Call a lawyer and pay him $70 to take care of it." Where I live, if the lawyer has to pick up the phone, say his/her name, and listen to you for less than a minute, you can say goodbye to a lot more than $70. In fairness to them, lawyers essentially have only their time and advice to sell, but have to pay all of the usual business overhead.

On the matter of getting tickets in a Porsche, I can say that police officers have nearly always treated me fairly. I did get a ticket on the NY Thruway at 10:30 pm on May 31st when I was driving from Boston to a track event at Watkins Glen. My radar picked up a Ka signal closing on me from behind, so I dropped to 65 mph. The state trooper passed me, probably going a little over 70 mph. I then followed him, driving in the right-hand lane except to pass, keeping him at least 300 meters or so ahead of me. We were both going along between 70-73 mph. There were several large trucks driving in the right-hand lane, so as I passed each one I gently moved up to about 80 mph to get by them quickly, then back to the previous speed and the right-hand lane. This scenario went on for more than 15 minutes, during which I fell much further behind quite often. The tropper had stayed in the left lane during the 15 minutes, then he put on his lights and pulled to the left, which was a breakdown lane up against a guard rail (armco). It looked like he was preparing to change directions and cross over the median to the Eastbound side of the Thruway, because he slowed to nearly a stop. I stayed in the right lane, slowed down considerably, and drove by. The trooper pulled out, got behind me and kept his lights on, so I stopped. I unbuckled my seat belt (so I'd be able to reach the glove box without having to hide my left hand while he was standing there), put both hands on the top of the steering wheel and waited for him to approach. Seeing his uniform, I lowered the window. I was very polite. So was he. He inquired of me as to why I was sitting there with him. I had no idea, being from Massachusetts, where it seems to be usual and customary for drivers to keep up with patrol cars on interstates, within reason, if the officer is driving normally (non-emergency). People usually do not pass patrol cars here, unless that car is going under the posted speed limit for no obvious reason.

His stated reason for stopping me was that I was following him at an average of 74 mph, accelerating all the way up to 80 mph occasionally to pass large trucks. I agreed, and waited for his response. He said he noticed that I had my seat belt off, so I could have either a speeding ticket or a failure to wear seat belt ticket. Of course I opted for the no seat belt violation. We then started chatting about performance driving, track driving, etc, all initiated by the trooper. This went on for at least another fifteen minutes, while the traffic was going by right behind him. I was hoping for a break, but he finally went back to his vehicle and wrote me the no seat belt ticket.

Keep in mind that New York State has some fiscal issues to deal with: On my mailed-in plea of guilty/nolo contendere I was fined $50 by the town court. NYS added a surcharge of $90. Payment had to be by bank/certified check or money order, unless I chose the pay-on-line option. NYS uses a private company based in Florida to administer online fine payments. The online payment option warns that a convenience fee will be charged, which seems fair. But that fee was $18! Ouch. So, it all adds up to $161.00.

My take on this little event:

1. I had no absolute right to travel at 74-80 mph. Under the circumstances, my driving and speed were probably reasonable, especially considering the fact that the state trooper was doing the same speeds on routine patrol. I was operating my car in a manner that is generally considered to be within accepted customary public behavior on major highways in light traffic. In many jurisdictions the posted speed limit is not absolute, but is considered prima facie evidence of the maximum allowed speed. For instance, if I had been proceeding at 65 mph, and accelerated to 75 mph to get by large trucks, then went back to 65 mph, I would at least have had a strong argument to a judge that I had operated within the limits. Cruising along at 74 mph presents a much more difficult challenge, even though it is totally common public behavior that is usually tolerated by police officers.

2. The town court, which has people on the payroll, and probably struggles to manage on a budget the struggling upstate town of Canojaharie, NY (ever heard of it? It used to be the home of Beechnut Chewing Gum!) allocates, which itself has to manage mostly on the property taxes the residents of the town have to pay out of their own individual cut-to-the-bone week-to-week income, or lack thereof, gets only $50 out of the $161. NYS has to pay the trooper and cover all the costs of his cruiser, so it gets $90. And the person who saw an opportunity to provide a needed service that NYS (and probably many others) did not want to bother with, gets $18. I think the convenience fee is a little high, particularly considering that this company gets that amount for every state violation ticket. But, it's a good gig if they can keep it rolling and expanding: No skin off the town or state, and miscreants don't exactly have strong lobbyists in state capitals or Washington.

3. There may be far too many things that are wrong or out of whack in our overall system in the US, but the fact that I can own and drive this car at tracks like Watkins Glen, with like-minded members of our tribe of gear-heads, sure does make it all go away for a time. And just sitting here, knowing that I will have the opportunity to drive my 911 into Canada in September and go for it at Le Circuit Mont-Tremblant, makes me just about giggle.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:55 AM
Geiss
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kwikit356 - you unbuckled your seatbelt?!? Wtf!! Lol!!!
Old 09-13-2016, 11:41 AM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Everybody's a lawyer on this forum. Gotta love it.

I actually have never been pulled over by a cop yet in my Porsche, but as soon as I get in my DD Acura I received a ticket - I ran a red light which was newly placed in an awful location with poor visibility. Never saw it. The officer proceeded to tailgate me (talk about following too closely) for almost 2-3 miles and I was not aware of who he was at that time since I couldn't see the side of the SUV unit and that it was marked so I assumed it was just an as!@%*# tailing too closely. I was in a new area I've never driven before and took a wrong turn. The officer then pulled me over. Guess he thought I was drunk. I actually requested a court date because the light was new and in a very inconspicuously placed and poor location. We shall see what happens.

Funny thing is about the lawyer joke: I was "window" shopping at a store the next day and started chatting with a fellow about an item for sale. After about 20 minutes I find out this guy is an attorney and he finds out a recently got a ticket. He offers to "take care of it" for $500. Needless to say, I ran out of the store quicker than you can say GTS.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:06 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Good. Now a moderator can move this silly thread to our Politics & Controversy Forum.
+1
Old 09-14-2016, 03:26 AM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 423 Likes on 181 Posts

This is pathetic thread. To the OP, how many times have you broken the traffic laws in the last month? Drop you ticket off at TICKET CLINIC, and go for a nice drive in your PORSCHE
Old 09-14-2016, 09:04 AM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd be more than happy to take you out on patrol. Took a couple of tough guy reporters a while back. One of them knew it all. Had to take him back to the SH he got so scared on a shots fired call, guess what happened?? I'll send you my address you can do a ride along with me and my partner in Bushwick Brooklyn. Never heard of Bushwick? Google it and then hang on!
I would love to go!! Seriously....

Quick Reply: First Traffic Ticket with my Porsche.