smog check failed - complaining about EGR or VVT systems

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 12:09 AM
MinMay
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default smog check failed - complaining about EGR or VVT systems

Hello,

I'm trying to register a 2015 GTS in CA, but the smog checked failed. It was complaining about "EGR and/or VVT systems" not being ready. The car was CPO from the dealership.

When I brought the car to my local smog check, he said it couldn't continue because the above item was not ready. He suggested I drive around for a bit. I did noticed that the smog guy pull out my entry dummy key because he thought it was the actual key. I'm not sure if that caused any problem in resetting the computer or not?

After about an hour driving around town, the EGR not ready still appear... He let me borrow the reader and told me to drive it around until it stops complaining about the EGR.

I read about the "drive cycle", but I need time to perform it.

My question is: Can I bring it to the dealership to have them fix it? Is it under warranty?

Any other recommendation or suggestion?

So far, it has been a headache in owning this car
Old 07-27-2016, 02:34 AM
bmxtreme
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MinMay
Hello,

I'm trying to register a 2015 GTS in CA, but the smog checked failed. It was complaining about "EGR and/or VVT systems" not being ready. The car was CPO from the dealership.

When I brought the car to my local smog check, he said it couldn't continue because the above item was not ready. He suggested I drive around for a bit. I did noticed that the smog guy pull out my entry dummy key because he thought it was the actual key. I'm not sure if that caused any problem in resetting the computer or not?

After about an hour driving around town, the EGR not ready still appear... He let me borrow the reader and told me to drive it around until it stops complaining about the EGR.

My question is: Can I bring it to the dealership to have them fix it? Is it under warranty?

When I have my BMW un-flashed from a tune prior to a smog test and failed miserably. I had to drive the car for 1 week before it passed.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:46 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 697 Likes on 486 Posts

I'd take it back to the dealer.CPO or not, by law the emission system has to perform for a set number of years (in Canada I believe it's 8) and the manufacturer has to ensure it does at no cost to the owner.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:11 AM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 50 Posts

Had the same thing happen right after a dealer service. My limited understanding is if the computer was recently reset (power disconnected) the smog check will fail until the car has had time to collect enough data. I don't remember the time frame but I took mine back a week later and there was no issue.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:21 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,395 Likes on 2,513 Posts

I know a guy at VW that can help you with this.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:49 AM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 234 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Now that's funny
Old 07-27-2016, 09:51 AM
MinMay
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the input.

I just recently bought the car from out of state from Texas. Can I bring it to any dealership?

Thanks,
Old 07-27-2016, 09:56 AM
X2Board
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Old 07-27-2016, 10:39 AM
Brian E
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Try this:

How to perform a Generic Drive Cycle.

Generic Drive Cycle Instructions:

1) The generic drive cycle begins with a cold start. Coolant temperatures must be below 122 °F and the difference between coolant and air temperatures read by the sensors must be within 11 degrees.
2) The ignition key must not be left on prior to the cold start – otherwise the heated oxygen sensor may not run.
3) As soon as the engine starts, idle the engine in drive for 2-1/2 minutes with the air conditioning and the rear defrost on.
4) Turn the air conditioning and the rear defrost off and accelerate to 55 mph under moderate and constant acceleration. Hold at a steady 55 mph for at least 3 minutes.
5) Decelerate to 20 mph without braking or depressing the clutch.
6) Accelerate back to 55 to 60 mph. Hold for 5 minutes. Decelerate to a stop without braking.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:40 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 697 Likes on 486 Posts

I just recently bought the car from out of state from Texas. Can I bring it to any dealership?

Thanks,
Any Porsche dealership - yes.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:12 AM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been told to drive it around 200 miles after codes are cleared from the DME before getting emission tested.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:06 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,568 Likes on 2,320 Posts

Hello,

I had this exact same problem with my GT3 a couple of months back, basically if the car has had the battery disconnected and the ECU reset these systems are 'not ready'...

A drive cycle *may* correct this, simpler to take it to any Porsche dealer and have them reset the ECU themselves (and then get them to smog it for you).

Note that you can still (re)register the car pending this completion.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:57 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,865 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Thanks,
I had the same thing with a car I bought out of Texas. Car had sat, battery ran down, that trips the EGR. Smog guy was cool enough to unplug and not enter me into the system or it counts as a fail. I drove around for about and hour, went back the next day and it was reset. Dealer told me that it should only take about 30 minutes of driving to do it. Make sure your battery is not low, or it could be reseting then tripping again.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:14 PM
roberttran1985
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone find a resolution? I just ran into this today. Battery has never died and I have 18k+ miles on the car, but the system says it's not ready.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:47 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,568 Likes on 2,320 Posts

Originally Posted by roberttran1985
Anyone find a resolution? I just ran into this today. Battery has never died and I have 18k+ miles on the car, but the system says it's not ready.
take it to your dealer tell them it failed smog because the ECU reported that its monitors are 'not ready' they will reset the ECU and you will be good to go.

Quick Reply: smog check failed - complaining about EGR or VVT systems