Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 GTS Center tail light modification?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 02:27 PM
DrCGuerra
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
👏👏👏

Now do we know if there would be an available power source on the rear wheel drive GTS? If there is the electrical infrastructure waiting to be tapped into I would jump on this mod.
Ric from Suncoast sent me the same link. I just sent him a PM about that. I will report back as soon as I hear back from him.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:40 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,451 Likes on 2,255 Posts

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
👏👏👏

Now do we know if there would be an available power source on the rear wheel drive GTS? If there is the electrical infrastructure waiting to be tapped into I would jump on this mod.
we should have looked when we had your bumper off...

you could email suncoast and ask, and if it turns out they are wrong, return it.

otherwise we'll have to scour the PET wiring harnesses to see if there is a different one for the 4/4S at the back.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:46 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrCGuerra
Ric from Suncoast sent me the same link. I just sent him a PM about that. I will report back as soon as I hear back from him.
good man ... my guess is that it is probably a 'tap' off of the license plate light connector and it would be on the inside of the bumper ...

OK ... I took a look at the PET page for this, unfortunately it looks as though the wiring harness for the 2/2S is separate from that for the 4/4S/Cabrio, which I "think" probably
means that they *are* different from each other ...
Old 08-01-2016, 03:58 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,162 Likes on 564 Posts

According to my service rep at Porsche downtown LA, the C2 GTS can be modified from the center grill to a functional center tail light. They have done it for another customer. I am still awaiting final details from my service rep - keep y'all posted!
Old 08-01-2016, 04:01 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
According to my service rep at Porsche downtown LA, the C2 GTS can be modified from the center grill to a functional center tail light. They have done it for another customer. I am still awaiting final details from my service rep - keep y'all posted!
my *guess* is that they ordered a 4/S wiring harness for the back bumper and replaced the current 2/S... its probably a plu n'play swap ...
Old 08-01-2016, 04:58 PM
DrCGuerra
Racer

This is the response I got from Ric.

If you don't have a "4", I can guess that it may fit. But I will assume that activating the light function will be impossible. Based on my years of experience, I can safely assume that a harness plug will not be in place for this installation. And buying an adapter would not be possible. You would have to purchase an entire vehicle harness. Thousands of dollars for this harness, but still not a guaranteed fit.

On the flip side, we usually get people with C4's who want to get rid of their light. Everyone wants that GT3 looking grille. Do as you please, but your grille is rare! It seems everyone wants that look.

Ric
Old 08-01-2016, 05:04 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

In absence of a power wire you can use a battery. To avoid having to recharge it they have solutions:
https://www.wired.com/2009/07/darpas...usion-reactor/
Old 08-01-2016, 06:21 PM
DrCGuerra
Racer

Originally Posted by squid42
In absence of a power wire you can use a battery. To avoid having to recharge it they have solutions:
https://www.wired.com/2009/07/darpas...usion-reactor/
Too funny.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:51 PM
Cristophosphorus
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Love the 4 look, but I'd rather leave this 4-only mod to the proper car that it comes specced on. Just my $0.02, but it's nice to see the black grilles and immediately identify a 2GTS vs a 4GTS.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:47 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

next time someone has the rear bumper off of their 4S/GTS can they take a photo of the wiring harness back there...

I'm certain this is retro-fittable if the appropriate 4/S harness is ordered, which wont require the complete re-wiring of the car, only the section from the bumper plug to the license plate light (& center light strip)

I would *confirm* my guess if a '4' owner could confirm that the center strip only lights when the side/headlamps(license plate) are on, *and* it does not change intensity when the brakes are activated ...
Old 08-01-2016, 08:47 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cristophosphorus
Love the 4 look, but I'd rather leave this 4-only mod to the proper car that it comes specced on. Just my $0.02, but it's nice to see the black grilles and immediately identify a 2GTS vs a 4GTS.
+1
Old 08-01-2016, 09:08 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I would *confirm* my guess if a '4' owner could confirm that the center strip only lights when the side/headlamps(license plate) are on, *and* it does not change intensity when the brakes are activated ...
I am able to confirm at least part of this. The bar certainly does not change intensity when the brakes are activated.

Also, after I turn off the car, the front side markers, the front running lights, the rear brake lights, the license plate lights and the light bar all stay illuminated for a bit until all shutting off.

Is that helpful?
Old 08-01-2016, 09:45 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,162 Likes on 564 Posts

Thanks for everybody's input. I enjoy the shop talk. My Porsche service rep did not go into the details about what was required for the modification, above and beyond the center light strip. He is now out for ACL reconstruction surgery so I am trying to find someone else who can get me some answers. I think Larry Cable is on to something with the wiring harness. Based on that rear bumper removal video, it does look like there is an association between the rear tail light and the license plate light. I understand those of you who prefer the center grill over the light. Who knows, maybe I will change my mind but it will still be good to know, going forward, if this is in fact a doable modification. Thanks again, everybody!
Old 08-01-2016, 10:22 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,121 Likes on 670 Posts

The brake light wiring is located right underneath the rear glass on the passenger side. Access is obtained by pulling out the panel in the back underneath the rear window. I would think there must be a way to splice into those wires to power the center light strip.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:38 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fasttr
I am able to confirm at least part of this. The bar certainly does not change intensity when the brakes are activated.

Also, after I turn off the car, the front side markers, the front running lights, the rear brake lights, the license plate lights and the light bar all stay illuminated for a bit until all shutting off.

Is that helpful?
Yes it's certainly supportive of my guess that the center light is driven off the same harness they the license lights are connected to which is a separate harness attached to the inside of the bumper itself and is plugged into the main harness behind and below the driver's brake light

Quick Reply: 991.1 GTS Center tail light modification?