Sponsored by:

Wheel weight adhesive removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 03:03 PM
studlee
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Wheel weight adhesive removal

Just got new tires last week... was wondering what's the best way to remove wheel weight adhesive off of matte black wheels
Old 07-24-2016, 03:41 PM
Type 2
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Removal of Weight Double-Faced Tape from Wheel

Originally Posted by studlee
Just got new tires last week... was wondering what's the best way to remove wheel weight adhesive off of matte black wheels
Comment. At the time new tires are mounted, most owners expect the tire shop to remove the old balancing weights and their tape. From observation, this is a grossly unfounded expectation. Generally all the tire shop will do is remove the individual metal balancing weight, leaving the old double-faced tape [Black Tape Residue]. See Photo - Example of Black Tape Reside on wheel.

As most owners, I desire the best dynamic tire and wheel balancing that a tire shop can deliver. Before taking the car to the tire shop, I take off each wheel and tire to remove the existing weights and double-faced black tape. I use a plastic tool to pry the metal weight off. [See tool in second photo.]

There are several ways to approach the removal of the Black Tape Residue from any Porsche wheel. Apply a solvent, like Oil Flo or 3M Adhesive Remover, soaked rag that is just large enough to cover the Black Tape patch for a few minutes to break the tape’s adhesion from the barrel of the wheel. A bit of elbow grease with the solvent rag wipes away all of remaining residue. See Photo – A Clean Interior Wheel Barrel, Showing the Plastic Tool and Solvent.

With a little paint polish, one can even-out the shadow outline of the tape found on the surface of the wheel. Apply paint protection, like RejeX, at this point.

Caution, do not use a flat blade screwdriver or metal tool to remove the either the weight or its tape, as you will scratch the paint of the interior barrel of the wheel. I have seen many instances where tire mounting personnel have used a screwdriver to remove the metal weight, and then attempt to remove the Black Tape Residue with the same tool. The results are not pretty.

Post-tire mounting. If your late model Porsche has new rubber installed with still existing Black Tape Residue, the mounted wheels are generally open enough to permit you to remove the residue strips. First use the solvent and rag approach outlined above, and then even out the interior barrel with a polish.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Type 2; 07-24-2016 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Addition 1 & 2.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:58 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Wurth citrus degreaser is also very good. Even your favorite wax might remove it. RejeX does with some rubbing.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:59 PM
studlee
Racer

Cutting a towel strip the size of adhesive is an excellent idea. Thx
Old 07-24-2016, 07:27 PM
studlee
Racer

wow....i could eat off your wheels!!!

I ended up using a cut strip of gauze so it would not absorb too much adhesive remover. I used something like goo gone...patted the moist gauze over the adhesive residue for 10s. with latex gloves on i just rubbed the adhesive with my finger until it rolled up like a booger...did this for a few minutes and got it all off. rinsed off and applied spray wax and cleaned out inner barrel while mounted on the car.

thanks for the tip!!
Old 07-24-2016, 11:12 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Type 2 above gave excellent advice. Another thing to use is WD40. Works wonders and does not hurt the paint.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:22 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 703 Likes on 491 Posts

Goo Gone
Old 07-25-2016, 04:48 AM
satoru
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Lift-Off or someone said WD-40
Old 07-25-2016, 07:42 AM
pvr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never thought of removing that before the wheel change, but an excellent tip.
Old 08-25-2022, 03:20 PM
Strat_928
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Guys and Gals - just did this and it works great and fast - Liquid wrench! The tape starts dissolving within 2-3 minutes. You can then start rubbing it with your finger or I use a black latex glove for my hands and to provide some friction for the tape. Once the majority is gone, I use a squirt of WDF-40 to clean it up. Will wash and detail the wheels later today. It is by far better than Goo Gone and most everyone has some around the garage. I finished with WD-40 just in case the liquid wrench is a little strong for the painted wheel.
Old 08-26-2022, 08:54 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

For tire changes, I remove the wheels, clean them thoroughly, remove the weights with dental floss instead of prying them off with a screwdriver as shops do and use Goo Gone or similar products to remove the tape and then finish it off with alcohol to remove the Goo Gone oils. Wheel weights stick better to a clean wheel.
The following users liked this post:
CSK 911 C4S (08-26-2022)
Old 08-26-2022, 03:23 PM
Matrog
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Oil Flo is the bomb

As mentioned by the OP, Oil Flo is the bomb. Then clean-up w/ 3M Adhesive remover.

Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: Wheel weight adhesive removal