Sponsored by:

Yet Another 991.2 Review That No One Cares About

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 02:23 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Yet Another 991.2 Review That No One Cares About

A little background. I have owned Porsches since high school in the 60's. Used 356's back then were cheap and affordable for a broke high school and college kid. Yes, I wish I still had those cars today. My P cars have always been cruisers and not bruisers.

My present car is 2013 C2S with PDK, no PSE or sport suspension. My SA asked me to test drive the 991.2. I wanted to experience this torque thing everyone has been writing about and see how the sound of the .2 compared to the .1.

I drove a C2S.2 with the sport package. I only drove it for about 10 miles on some roads around the dealership. I am not a fast driver so I drove the car the way I would my present car.

I'm not much of a techy - hardly use the radio and only need a good NAV system. The first thing the SA talked about was the new PCM. Very nice looking. I'm probably the last person on earth to know this, but to get Google Earth, and perhaps other cool stuff, requires a separate subscription service without which the .2 and the .1 NAV's are the same. Not for me.

Torque. I started out in normal mode without PSE. Very nice torque - very lineal and smooth. The .1 in normal mode is, well, a dog. I always drive it in Sport mode. The .1 in sport mode has very good torque, but quite different from the .2. The smooth, lineal acceleration of the .2 seemed more Lexus sedan like. The .1 in sport mode is more "cat like" - waiting to pounce with a prompt from the peddle on the right. To me, the .1 in sport mode is more sport's car like.

Sound. As I said, I started out in normal mode without PSE on. No sound could I hear - and I was listening. To be fair, I was driving the car in 90+ degree FL weather with the AC trying to keep up. When I switched to Sport mode the PSE came on and that's when the sound of the engine kicked in including some snap, crackle and pop on the back end. It was nice, but different. I didn't realize how different the sound was until I got back into my .1 (no PSE) to go home. The .1 has a deeper and richer sound, louder than the .2 but not intrusive. Music to my ears. The .2 sound is shallower and thinner, with not as much presence.

Both cars are wonderful cars, but very different.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:27 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Cause we all know 991.1 are sooooooooo much better!
Old 07-21-2016, 03:00 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,132 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
I don't believe the 991.2 will stack up against the .1 in the same way the 996 "improved on" the 993, but I'm not rushing out to buy one either.
They aren't doing this because it's the clear evolutionary path to automotive greatness; they have a "green gun" to their heads and are doing the best they can under the circumstances.
I like buying new and ordering the car to my specs, but I have no interest in the first year of production of this model.
Luckily for me, I'm getting a real kick out of my Boxster GTS.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:01 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Dude... you NEED to get the PSE fitted to your .1S. It's amazing. It's possibly more important than the wheels or seats.

I agree with your conclusions though, giving up some sound for more speed is a hard sell for me.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:17 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
I don't believe the 991.2 will stack up against the .1 in the same way the 996 "improved on" the 993, but I'm not rushing out to buy one either.
They aren't doing this because it's the clear evolutionary path to automotive greatness; they have a "green gun" to their heads and are doing the best they can under the circumstances.
I like buying new and ordering the car to my specs, but I have no interest in the first year of production of this model.
Luckily for me, I'm getting a real kick out of my Boxster GTS.
You're car is slower but way more fun to drive

Would have gotten a Boxster GTS but needed the utility of the the 911.

The 991.1 may be slower than the .2 but wouldn't we all be shaming Porsche is the newer model wasn't faster? Also, as a business - how could they sell cars if the latest iteration didn't have better stats?

An S2000 is 10 years old and way more fun to drive than anything honda brings to the table today - faster - NO. More fun? Absolutely. I feel the same about the 991.1 and the 997 crowd feels the same vs the 991.1
Old 07-21-2016, 03:31 PM
porscherex
Pro

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Dude... you NEED to get the PSE fitted to your .1S. It's amazing. It's possibly more important than the wheels or seats.

I agree with your conclusions though, giving up some sound for more speed is a hard sell for me.
Never driven a car with PSE. I need to try it, because everybody seems to love it.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:38 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by porscherex
Never driven a car with PSE. I need to try it, because everybody seems to love it.
You need to! Driving with PSE on is like not using a condom.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:43 PM
porscherex
Pro

Originally Posted by Dewinator
You need to! Driving with PSE on is like not using a condom.
LOL. May I use this analogy to explain to my wife why I need PSE?
Old 07-21-2016, 03:48 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by porscherex
LOL. May I use this analogy to explain to my wife why I need PSE?
Of course!
Old 07-22-2016, 03:50 PM
GTS1
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 991.2 Sound

IMO 991.2 turbo 3.0 does not sound at all like the NA 3.6-3.8 liters . In fact from my perspective it does not sound like a Porsche 911 at all, especially when you hear the turbo whistle and swoosh sounds come through.

Side by side the 991.2 , the 991.1 sounds awesome . I have 997.2 GTS Cab that has PSE. Its sounds awesome throughout the rev range. Raspy down low and howl at the top . Top down the sound is even more awesome.

991.2 is obviously a state of the art high tech car, however, way to refined for my 911 preferences. And the exhaust sound just doesn't cut it for me.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:04 PM
ggreg911
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
+1 haha

991.1 owners keep trying to convince themselves.... I remember when GTS came out... The same guys were calling it s "parts bin special."

Ive owned: 14 C2S MT, 15 GTS Cab MT, 17 C4S Cab PDK.... Bottomline the 17 is the best of all. It is different, but better.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:13 PM
Roosell
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ggreg911
+1 haha

991.1 owners keep trying to convince themselves....
To be fair, there's a whole lot of .2'ers doing a whole lot of lobbying also. Case in point...

Old 07-22-2016, 05:27 PM
GTS1
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah - no doubt, the new 17 911s are different but better, like new models should be.

I just dig the "old school" feel in the older versions. They are just more involving feeling cars to me. More rewarding and challenging to drive IMO.

The 997.2 GTS did not and does not deserve the "Parts Bin Special" criticism? I have driven many 911's and the way Porsche put the 997.2 GTS together and tweaked the handling and performance made for just an absolutely great version of the 911. Wider track, 2 wheel drive , 408hp X51 kit , lower ride height, great suspension, amazing steering , shifter, wide body looks killer, etc. I would not give mine up unless absolutely had to.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:29 PM
porscherex
Pro

+1 haha 991.1 owners keep trying to convince themselves....

My purpose was not to convince me or anyone else that either iteration is better. I was pleased though that my .1 was better sounding with more engaging torque.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:30 PM
ggreg911
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Roosell
To be fair, there's a whole lot of .2'ers doing a whole lot of lobbying also. Case in point...

No need to lobby...could have kept my GTS if I didn't truly believe it. Any .2 buyer had plenty of .1s on the lot to choose from when they picked up their car...

Quick Reply: Yet Another 991.2 Review That No One Cares About