Rear Ended! :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 08:52 PM
Ronak Gorajia
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Unhappy Rear Ended! :(

Hey guys,

So I got rear ended today...definitely not the way I wanted to start my weekend. It was in stop and go traffic so hoping it won't be too bad.

Rear bumper and exhaust visible damage. Probably more to be unveiled as we remove the rear bumper.

Question: the party who hit me has all state and has made the claim. Do I get to choose which body shop I want the repairs to be done at?

Also, I'm assuming that since this is all through insurance. This will report on Carfax and lower the value of resale? Anyway to have compensation for this?

Lastly, any recommendations in the Irvine Newport beach area? My default is caliber collision centers as Porsche Newport beach recommends.

Appreciate all feedback!
Old 07-09-2016, 09:11 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

My recommendation is...do not take it to Caliber Collision.
I'm curious as well about diminished value claims.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:22 PM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

You have complete control of the choice of repair facility. I would demand a Porsche certified facility, but if you have one you trust that is not certified that is your choice. In many states you have the right to claim diminished value if you are not at fault and you should aggressively pursue that if your state allows. A collision history will reduce your trade/sell value depending on amount of damage. My TTS had a 52k repair bill and I received 30k in combined diminished value/loss of use claim with State Farm. I traded it off and NO ONE wants to buy the TTS now it has been sitting on a lot for over three months. Sorry this happened to you! Hopefully it will be minimal damage in your case!
Old 07-09-2016, 09:27 PM
-Ryan-
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Was there a police report made? If so it will show up on carfax. If not, probably not. Repair shops, insurance companies have no obligation to report that information.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:59 PM
roberttran1985
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear. My car was fixed at Class Auto Center in Long Beach by the previous owner in 2013. The car was the first 991 to get body repair in socal from my understanding as no shop had the tools yet and had to order it.

The dealership removed the engine and trucked the car down the street to the shop. Everything was fixed back to factory spec.

Impact was only at 5 to 10mph, but it was enough to twist the frame just a tiny bit and buckle one of the frame rails (can't even see the buckling in the picture). Rear bumper bar/beam had to be replaced.
Attached Images       
Old 07-09-2016, 10:11 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by roberttran1985
Sorry to hear. My car was fixed at Class Auto Center in Long Beach by the previous owner in 2013. The car was the first 991 to get body repair in socal from my understanding as no shop had the tools yet and had to order it.

The dealership removed the engine and trucked the car down the street to the shop. Everything was fixed back to factory spec.

Impact was only at 5 to 10mph, but it was enough to twist the frame just a tiny bit and buckle one of the frame rails (can't even see the buckling in the picture). Rear bumper bar/beam had to be replaced.
What was the total repair cost of this?
J
Old 07-09-2016, 10:13 PM
roberttran1985
Instructor

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
What was the total repair cost of this?
J
I don't remember, but I want to say 15k is what was mentioned.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:07 AM
tampaukfan
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You can take your car anywhere you want.. you are not obligated to Allstate.
If you have any mods or extras they are covered for the full value.
Make sure to get diminished value, as you probably just lost 10K.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:24 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Allstate . . . Lol, diminution of value claim with Allstate . . . ouch my neck hurts and 2 to 3 times your meds. You pick where you want it repaired and tell them to stick it.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:46 AM
C4SJOHN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Stop by Class auto center in Long Beach off the 405 and Cherry ave. Talk with Ted that is him in the above picture. They work with Circle Porsche and they a Prosche qualified shop...sorry that you need this type of service....
Old 07-10-2016, 01:53 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by roberttran1985
I don't remember, but I want to say 15k is what was mentioned.
Wow that engine looks brand new.

J
Old 07-10-2016, 02:23 AM
roberttran1985
Instructor

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Wow that engine looks brand new.

J
It was. The car had 1,500 miles when it was rear ended.
Old 07-10-2016, 03:08 AM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 59 Posts

In the US, auto insurance is State regulated and as a matter of course some states compel the other party’s insurer to recognize and pay diminished value claims. In California, notwithstanding some case law awarding DV, the burden of proof for the diminishment of value is on you. Insurance companies (especially Statefarm) resist paying anything out. Their stance is to make you prove your loss. You don’t need a law frim to do this as there are any number of licensed appraisers who can make the case for you and even force the insurance co into an arbitration process. However, there is a hefty fee for this service. If you’re a DIY person, or if you actually sell the car and take a verifiable loss you can take them on yourself. Search the net for professionally penned letters of demand to use as your template to get the ball rolling. If I was local to you, I would help out just to keep my a$$ kicking skills up.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:30 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by jennifer911
In the US, auto insurance is State regulated and as a matter of course some states compel the other party’s insurer to recognize and pay diminished value claims. In California, notwithstanding some case law awarding DV, the burden of proof for the diminishment of value is on you. Insurance companies (especially Statefarm) resist paying anything out. Their stance is to make you prove your loss. You don’t need a law frim to do this as there are any number of licensed appraisers who can make the case for you and even force the insurance co into an arbitration process. However, there is a hefty fee for this service. If you’re a DIY person, or if you actually sell the car and take a verifiable loss you can take them on yourself. Search the net for professionally penned letters of demand to use as your template to get the ball rolling. If I was local to you, I would help out just to keep my a$$ kicking skills up.
OP mentioned Allstate. Allstate can be a severe PIA.

Last edited by Doug H; 07-11-2016 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-10-2016, 01:26 PM
Ronak Gorajia
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks guys for all the info! Seems like this is a bigger headache than I anticipated.

I'll probably take it to sterling collision or class auto body. Heard both of those are factory spec repair auto body shops.

Yes there was a police report By pd of Tustin, ca.

I'm going to talk to a few attorneys and see how to build a case for diminished value. Totally sucks just running a simple errand of going to the bank is actually going to break my bank! Lol (when I resell)

Thanks and any other suggestions are welcome!

Quick Reply: Rear Ended! :(