Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 (C4S) highway ride quality. Vibrations, yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016 | 09:50 AM
911 4S
Advanced

Default 991.1 (C4S) highway ride quality. Vibrations, yes or no?

Hello all, some of you may have seen my other post. I am in the market for a C4S (991.1). I do a lot of highway driving (speed limit is 70, so at a good 80ish), and a friend said his friend had a 991.1 and said the highway ride wasn't very good, he couldn't really elaborate, just said he was told it had vibrations and wasn't comfortable? This seems somewhat out of character to me?

All I was able to find searching the web was that some cars can get a slight vibration when accelerating slowly in 7th gear, which sounds more like lugging the engine to me? And that some notice a slight vibration in the pedal box, which seems to be more so from a lack of insulation and such down there? Input on these items?

Can you owners of 991.1's chime in and let me know how the highway ride is please.

Any feedback would be great, thanks -
Old 07-06-2016 | 09:53 AM
STG
Race Director

It's all about how good the roads are.

Smooth roads, smooth ride ....
Old 07-06-2016 | 10:22 AM
bernpep
Instructor

Coming from a BMW my 991 w/ 4800 miles has a very smooth quiet ride. The fact that it tracks like an arrow is one of my favorite attributes.
Under 65 the car feels happy in 6th gear on Pdk.
70 & over 7th is ideal for cruising
Old 07-06-2016 | 10:34 AM
911 4S
Advanced

Do any of you feel any vibrations in your throttle pedal? That came up when I searched the forum as an issue some delt with...
Old 07-06-2016 | 10:35 AM
R_Rated
Banned

These cars also get ridiculous gas mileage for the type of car [performance]. Outside of a lotus - nothing has the performance and efficiency.
Old 07-06-2016 | 10:49 AM
ArthurVandalay
Instructor

Two thousand miles driven so far with our '14 C4S. It had 1,700mi on it up delivery six-ish weeks ago. So, basically brand spanking new.

Former rig was 4,700# 500hp 500#/tqe four door five place sedan. That was a Gulfstream G650 on the highway. Insulated and isolated.

My opinions/feelings/descriptions are me. Yours might be different.

The C4S feels heavier to me than it actually is. The awd giving me that feeling? The rear engine weight distribution? It tracks on the highway phenomenally. Wet. Dry. Smooth pavé or rough.

To me, it's far less insulated than any other car I've had in the last 25yrs, excluding our Jeep Wrangler. I HEAR the engine exhaust, at any speed. Even little stones in the wheel wells at slow speed when turning onto side roads.

Zero vibrations in pedals.

The lugging in 7th?? Its seventh gear. For fuel econ. Downshift to prevent that. Haven't really noticed that, but I'll try it. Keep Pdk in manual, get in 7th, cruise at 65/70 for a bit, and then accelerate. I'll see what happens.

To me, the C4S is a luxury race car, most classify it a grand tourer. It's tiny, low to the ground, and includes me in the driving experience. It's a super nice badass car that goes fast and will go around corners in the road way faster than you ever need to.

Someone once told me to ask this when buying art:

"Do I REALLY like it and can I REALLY afford it?"

Buy the C4S man. Don't over think it.
Old 07-06-2016 | 10:51 AM
Mlbraptor
Burning Brakes

Just drove about 500 miles on the interstate between 65- 85 mph. Car felt great; and I got almost 30 mpg.
Old 07-06-2016 | 11:24 AM
911 4S
Advanced

Originally Posted by ArthurVandalay
Two thousand miles driven so far with our '14 C4S. It had 1,700mi on it up delivery six-ish weeks ago. So, basically brand spanking new.

Former rig was 4,700# 500hp 500#/tqe four door five place sedan. That was a Gulfstream G650 on the highway. Insulated and isolated.

My opinions/feelings/descriptions are me. Yours might be different.

The C4S feels heavier to me than it actually is. The awd giving me that feeling? The rear engine weight distribution? It tracks on the highway phenomenally. Wet. Dry. Smooth pavé or rough.

To me, it's far less insulated than any other car I've had in the last 25yrs, excluding our Jeep Wrangler. I HEAR the engine exhaust, at any speed. Even little stones in the wheel wells at slow speed when turning onto side roads.

Zero vibrations in pedals.

The lugging in 7th?? Its seventh gear. For fuel econ. Downshift to prevent that. Haven't really noticed that, but I'll try it. Keep Pdk in manual, get in 7th, cruise at 65/70 for a bit, and then accelerate. I'll see what happens.

To me, the C4S is a luxury race car, most classify it a grand tourer. It's tiny, low to the ground, and includes me in the driving experience. It's a super nice badass car that goes fast and will go around corners in the road way faster than you ever need to.

Someone once told me to ask this when buying art:

"Do I REALLY like it and can I REALLY afford it?"

Buy the C4S man. Don't over think it.
Thanks for the write up, good points for sure.

I just do LOTS of highway driving, and have become **** about vibrations and such that shouldn't be there. If these cars had vibration issues, they would be a no go for me...as that would drive me nuts. My buddy just planted the seed in my head...

I like loud, raw cars though, but that is different...I have a C5 Z06 track car with zero insulation, headers and bullet mufflers, and a Viper (that will be going when I pull the trigger on the C4S), I had a previous 997, and have a new Camaro ZL1 on order.

Glad to see you like your car...
Old 07-06-2016 | 11:30 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by 911 4S
Thanks for the write up, good points for sure.

I just do LOTS of highway driving, and have become **** about vibrations and such that shouldn't be there. If these cars had vibration issues, they would be a no go for me...as that would drive me nuts. My buddy just planted the seed in my head...

I like loud, raw cars though, but that is different...I have a C5 Z06 track car with zero insulation, headers and bullet mufflers, and a Viper (that will be going when I pull the trigger on the C4S), I had a previous 997, and have a new Camaro ZL1 on order.

Glad to see you like your car...

A 911 really isn't the right car for this. I highly recommend looking at a Jaguar XKR for what you are describing. Second would be a S550 coupe.

Don't knock the jag until you test drive it!
Old 07-06-2016 | 12:02 PM
911 4S
Advanced

Originally Posted by R_Rated
A 911 really isn't the right car for this. I highly recommend looking at a Jaguar XKR for what you are describing. Second would be a S550 coupe.

Don't knock the jag until you test drive it!
I will also be tracking this car from time to time...so no Jag or Benz.

This is not going to be my daily driver, but once a week I will take it when I have to go to my meetings 75 miles away via the highway.
Old 07-06-2016 | 12:08 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by 911 4S
I will also be tracking this car from time to time...so no Jag or Benz.

This is not going to be my daily driver, but once a week I will take it when I have to go to my meetings 75 miles away via the highway.
Gotcha - Have you looked at Lotus?

http://www.lotuscars.com/evora-400

I'm not trying to talk you out of Porsche - I chose one! The Evora is a lot more comfortable, a lot quieter and a lot smoother on a highway yet is also great on a track.

My humble opinion is just that even though the 991 is much smoother and quieter than the 997 - it is still primitive in terms of highway cruising and since this is what you accentuated, the P car doesn't sound like the best fit.
Old 07-06-2016 | 12:17 PM
RoWa
Instructor

Originally Posted by STG
It's all about how good the roads are.

Smooth roads, smooth ride ....
+1

I drive my 991.1 C4S on freeway to work. Absolutely no vibration issues. The only challenge I have is staying anywhere close to the speed limit.
Old 07-06-2016 | 12:25 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

My 991.1 C4S was rock solid.

No vibrations, no excessive road noise, no rattles, no nothing. Stiff ride but compliant. Routinely did 2 hour drives up and down the CA coast.

It's not a Merc S550, but then you knew that already. It's also not a true GT like, say, a Merc SL550, but for a sports car the ride is more than comfortable enough.

Cruising at 65+ mph I could routinely get around 30 mpg.
Old 07-06-2016 | 12:41 PM
911 4S
Advanced

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Gotcha - Have you looked at Lotus?

http://www.lotuscars.com/evora-400

I'm not trying to talk you out of Porsche - I chose one! The Evora is a lot more comfortable, a lot quieter and a lot smoother on a highway yet is also great on a track.

My humble opinion is just that even though the 991 is much smoother and quieter than the 997 - it is still primitive in terms of highway cruising and since this is what you accentuated, the P car doesn't sound like the best fit.
Thanks for the suggestion...but I had a 997 before, and it rode just fine on the highway, I was just trying to find out if the 991 had any inherent issues with vibrations and such on the highway. If you say the 991 rides better than the 997, I should have no worries.
Old 07-06-2016 | 12:43 PM
911 4S
Advanced

Originally Posted by RoWa
+1

I drive my 991.1 C4S on freeway to work. Absolutely no vibration issues. The only challenge I have is staying anywhere close to the speed limit.
Very good to hear...how long is your highway commute?

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
My 991.1 C4S was rock solid.

No vibrations, no excessive road noise, no rattles, no nothing. Stiff ride but compliant. Routinely did 2 hour drives up and down the CA coast.
Perfect, this is just what I was wanting to hear...I am beginning to think my friends "friends" car may have had a out of balance tire, or a bent wheel...

Quick Reply: 991.1 (C4S) highway ride quality. Vibrations, yes or no?