Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does a fun daily driver take away from your 911?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 11:58 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 691 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by ggreg911
But sometimes you need a back seat and four doors...
But not daily....that's what the wife's car is for!
Old 07-07-2016, 01:37 PM
mlkn
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiesta ST

I love my Fiesta and honestly it is a hoot to drive. It feels quick and nimble in daily driving but it feels less refined and slow compared to the 911. I track my Fiesta ST and some day may track the 911 once it is off warranty. Both are awesome cars but very different characters.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:12 PM
07CarreraS
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
No way! Many on here love a GTi for a DD. the BMW while fun, is going to be so different from your 911. A ferrari is a fun car yet still so different. That Focus RS will be a beast.

FWIW - I drive an A4 quattro that is a fun car in it's own right but is not special. i love it compared to rentals when I travel but compared to my 911 it's still an appliance.
I have a 16' GTI with DSG and when I drive it I rarely feel the need to drive my 911. Totally different cars but the fun is still there. Hence the reason I get a new one every 12 months. I especially don't miss driving my 911 when the weather is horrid.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:15 PM
07CarreraS
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Get a Macan. You never have to not be driving a Porsche.
Agreed. I have a Macan as well and anytime I take it out I always love the sound of the exhaust as the PDK is shifting gears. The handling is tight and the ride is low for an SUV/CUV? Hell, I don't know! But the GTI still gets most of the load and neither car takes away from my 911. Ever.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:24 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by manitou202
A couple of my friends are convinced I should get a Jeep Wrangler or a Toyota Tacoma for something completely different. But I'm not a fan of SUVs and Trucks although having a pickup would be useful from time to time.

There are Pickups, there are SUVs, and then there are Wranglers. These are not interchangeable classes. Nothing makes you love your 911 like jumping into it after driving your Wrangler. And, surprisingly, vice versa.

Old 07-08-2016, 12:49 AM
pavster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the camp of buy it, drive it every day, and don't worry about resale value. If I ever find another car that I wand to DD more than my 911 I'll probably end up dumping the 911. So far hasn't happened.

I have a Honda Odyssey that is used for Home Depot runs and for those rare times when we need to fit more than 5 people into a car, and I also use it as my winter snow ride. For most family trips we use our A7 - I drive and enjoy it. It's a great family car but when I drive it alone (not often) I miss the Carrera dearly.

Now that I have two little kids there is no such thing as 'solo weekend drives' but if they ever do happen I am taking the bike.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:05 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

For me it's not a matter of "saving miles" on the 911. I'm firmly in the "bought it to use it" camp and never one time, since I started owning Porsches in the 90s, have I refrained from driving one because I wanted to keep the miles off. Including on boring 350 mile interstate drives to our beach house. I usually don't take it because I'd rather take the larger SUV, but whenever I get an itch to take the 911, that's what I take.

But I still love having a high-contrast alternate vehicle. Something that does things differently and much better than the 911. Then, the moving back and forth keeps both of them fresh and enjoyable for me.

Every day when I leave the house I stare at keys and ask myself: "911, Wrangler, 68 Cadillac convertible? Which would I rather drive today?" And I rarely know the answer to that question when I go to bed the night before.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:34 AM
dds007
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ggreg911
I dd a 15 M3 and I still get a big smile on my face when I get into my 911. The 911 is a special car that never gets old.
same boat. Have a 15 M4 (stage 2) and it feels like a Prius next to the 991TT (stage 2).
Old 07-08-2016, 10:03 AM
sracer
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Daily driver:

(normally not with trailer attached)
Old 07-08-2016, 10:23 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by 07CarreraS
Agreed. I have a Macan as well and anytime I take it out I always love the sound of the exhaust as the PDK is shifting gears. The handling is tight and the ride is low for an SUV/CUV? Hell, I don't know! But the GTI still gets most of the load and neither car takes away from my 911. Ever.
I have had the Macan for 6 weeks. Every time I push it I find out how fun and capable it is. That same feeling is what has kept me in 911s since 1974. Neither diminishes the other. If anything one enhances the other.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:04 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

I don't get this thread. It's like saying you'd rather live with a dowdy jag during the week so you can enjoy your hot wife on the weekend. No way. All cars are different. Get a nice one that suits your needs better for DD, perhaps, but no need to make yourself suffer. In fact, best case is to rotate every few days...no need to declare which is a DD.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:04 PM
bmxtreme
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Why is everyone keeping the 911 in the garage and not just drive it everyday? I am still confuse with people buying and keeping them in the garage just to look at it rather than enjoying it.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:10 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 407 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by bmxtreme
Why is everyone keeping the 911 in the garage and not just drive it everyday? I am still confuse with people buying and keeping them in the garage just to look at it rather than enjoying it.
Colorado uses gravel on the roads during the winter which does quite a number on paint and windshields. Then during the summer, we get wicked hail storms in the late afternoon. Just last night we had a series of storms that turned two co-workers cars into golf *****. It's too risky to drive a nice car everyday here in Colorado.

I've already started to change my mind and now I'm leaning towards a Wrangler Unlimited for something completely different. I'm sure I'll change my mind 20 more times in the next couple of months. Not sure why, but researching your next car (even if it's "just" a DD) is half the fun.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:32 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by manitou202
Colorado uses gravel on the roads during the winter which does quite a number on paint and windshields. Then during the summer, we get wicked hail storms in the late afternoon. Just last night we had a series of storms that turned two co-workers cars into golf *****. It's too risky to drive a nice car everyday here in Colorado.

I've already started to change my mind and now I'm leaning towards a Wrangler Unlimited for something completely different. I'm sure I'll change my mind 20 more times in the next couple of months. Not sure why, but researching your next car (even if it's "just" a DD) is half the fun.
Like I said above, I literally decide between 911 and Wrangler in the morning based on mood every day, unless I have cargo to carry or am taking someone out who I think would rather ride in one than the other. And after 2 years in the Wrangler I'm averaging 650 miles a month vs 1+ years in the Porsche averaging 490 miles a month. It's like the guy with the Mini up above says: if your "beater" is actually fun and totally different than your 911, you may surprise yourself and put more miles on it than you do the Porsche.

By the way, if my other car was my wife's powerful luxury SUV, I would choose the 911 every single day except when a) I had to carry stuff, and b) I just washed the 911 and it was raining. That's what I meant originally by saying there are SUVs, Pickups (I also have a Chevy PU), and then there are Wranglers. These are not interchangeable categories.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:47 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 331 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Like I said above, I literally decide between 911 and Wrangler in the morning based on mood every day, unless I have cargo to carry or am taking someone out who I think would rather ride in one than the other. And after 2 years in the Wrangler I'm averaging 650 miles a month vs 1+ years in the Porsche averaging 490 miles a month. It's like the guy with the Mini up above says: if your "beater" is actually fun and totally different than your 911, you may surprise yourself and put more miles on it than you do the Porsche.

By the way, if my other car was my wife's powerful luxury SUV, I would choose the 911 every single day except when a) I had to carry stuff, and b) I just washed the 911 and it was raining. That's what I meant originally by saying there are SUVs, Pickups (I also have a Chevy PU), and then there are Wranglers. These are not interchangeable categories.
Agreed. Wranglers are in a class all their own. There is something about needing a 9 iron to adjust the passenger side mirror from the drivers seat that gives you a great feeling of accomplishment!! ;-)

That...and they are a blast to drive off-road.

Quick Reply: Does a fun daily driver take away from your 911?