Sponsored by:

Hate to Rain on the Parade

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 01:49 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
Lol, I guess you guys were commenting on the reliability of Ferrari turbo chargers
I doubt very seriously that Ferrari makes turbochargers. Like most car manufacturers, they probably source them from a supplier that manufacturers turbochargers, but I do not have the data to confirm.
Old 07-01-2016, 06:12 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
I doubt very seriously that Ferrari makes turbochargers. Like most car manufacturers, they probably source them from a supplier that manufacturers turbochargers, but I do not have the data to confirm.
Dude . . . sarcasm and you know what I meant . . ., but dang, definitely ain't trading the 458 for a 488 if those turbos don't have prancing horses on them. Don't want or need some cheap German crap or worse, Japanese junk, in my fine Italian automobile.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:22 AM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
2017 C2 was the vehicle. Interesting to note, Porsche is not selling many of the S models. Incremental price increase is not worth it, according to several member of the Paul Miller Team.
You only need the" S" if you buy alot of options to haul around. That's why it exists.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:12 AM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by solomonschris
The thing I worry about with the new cars is all the electronics. Replacing a turbo is not really that big a deal. I wonder at the cost to replace the inertial sensor and its processor. Those probably aren't the correct names, but I hope you get my point. Anecdotes prove nothing, but when I had my '97tt I was on that Rennlist forum and there was a fellow that had a tt with something like 250k that had never had any work other than general maintenance. I wonder if concern over the cost to replace the electronics in the out years is the reason the cars depreciate to much.....Chris
I am not sure what the depreciation deal is. I have owned Porsche's since 1995, many cars and never had a service related problem. However I have lost my share of money maybe no more than any other brand. I know Porsche has got to make a lot of cars to make money but just imagine if their line held value like the RS. But the downside to that is there would really be no cars. In my opinion the TTS is one of the best cars made by anybody but depreciation can be an issue. I would think Porsche would be more concerned about that issue because we know some take a hit and say no more.
A cool thing would be for someone to take the task and create THE list of high end cars, play with age, MSRP, Milage, options etc, go back 5-10 years and create an app. Presently there is a $150k difference between 2 pre owned RS's. Someone is smart or crazy.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:09 AM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Interesting - I drove the same car at the event, and had a very different reaction (compared to my experience having driven a 2012.5 base 991.1 on 19" wheels). I thought the handling and steering feel was much improved on the 991.2, and I really liked how linear the power delivery was - the 991.2 didn't feel turbocharged and I thought the acceleration was very strong.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:14 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by white924s
Interesting - I drove the same car at the event, and had a very different reaction (compared to my experience having driven a 2012.5 base 991.1 on 19" wheels). I thought the handling and steering feel was much improved on the 991.2, and I really liked how linear the power delivery was - the 991.2 didn't feel turbocharged and I thought the acceleration was very strong.
Everyone has a different takeaway from their experience. As for handling and steering, my current driver has sport PASM. The test drive car has power steering, and strait PASM ,so no apples to apples there. I agree the low end acceleration was strong, I was disappointed in the world above 5,000 RPM. Also, my car is tuned and does not drive like a base 3.4L. In addition, I was very disappointed in the sound. I guess this is what the makes the world go around. Happy to hear your opinion though.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:20 AM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Everyone has a different takeaway from their experience. As for handling and steering, my current driver has sport PASM. The test drive car has power steering, and strait PASM ,so no apples to apples there. I agree the low end acceleration was strong, I was disappointed in the world above 5,000 RPM. Also, my car is tuned and does not drive like a base 3.4L. In addition, I was very disappointed in the sound. I guess this is what the makes the world go around. Happy to hear your opinion though.
Ah - sounds like your car is also very different from the 991.1 I drove. I have also driven a 991.2 with the sport exhaust option, and I thought that made a big difference in terms of the sound. If I were to get a 991.2 (and I think it probably will be my next Porsche) I'm still undecided whether I would pony up for that option - my reaction to the sound wasn't as negative, and I wouldn't want to run up the price on a base 911 too far above $100k
Old 07-04-2016, 10:57 AM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Also, my car is tuned and does not drive like a base 3.4L.
Can you shed some light on how your car is tuned?
Old 07-05-2016, 01:45 AM
Vista6019
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by zx5go
I'm going to stray a bit off topic for my comparison, but I just moved from a 2006 Cayman S to my 991.1. Initially, I was a bit disappointed because it didn't 'feel' as fast as the Cayman. The way the power came on in the Cayman in second gave the impression that it was very fast (not to mention the trans and engine noise right behind you). The 991.1, at least from in the cabin, is deceptively fast. Easy to slide out for a pass and as another member stated be going "go directly to jail" speeds before you move back into your lane. I did test drive a 991.2 but it was not extensive enough for a direct comparison.
Nice analogy--I moved from a 981 Cayman to a 991 911 and it is sneaky fast. The Cayman was clearly more visceral (as the motor was behind your head) but the 911 is an entirely different experience. Two different personalities on the track as well.....
Old 07-05-2016, 03:29 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I feel like if I could single out one thing that could stand to be improved a bit on the .1S w/ PSE, to make it even more perfect than it already is, it would be to make it a touch louder.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:38 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
I feel like if I could single out one thing that could stand to be improved a bit on the .1S w/ PSE, to make it even more perfect than it already is, it would be to make it a touch louder.
That's what iPE F1 exhausts are for!

Quick Reply: Hate to Rain on the Parade